Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VENDEE GLOBE  (Read 2385 times)

Roger in France

VENDEE GLOBE
« on: November 06, 2008, 07:02:10 pm »

The Vendee Globe race starts on Saturday from Sable d'Ollonne just 25k. up the road from where I live. I hope to see the yachts set off and if I do I will take some pictures to share in the Forum.

This is the single handed race sponsored in part by the Vendee Department - 85 (bit like an English county) south into the Southern Ocean and back. It takes place every 4 years. Skippers expect to be totally alone for about 90 days. No landfalls allowed and no resupplying. It was in this race, 8 years ago, that Ellen MacCarthy first came to be known when she nearly won. The French took her to their hearts not only for her second place finish but because she was the first woman ever to be placed up with the winners.

This year there are several English skippers participating. There is a great Web Site www.vendeeglobe.fr and most skippers have a personal Site where you can closely follow progress.

Roger in France

barryfoote

Re: VENDEE GLOBE
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:19:04 am »

Roger,

As this is an English language site, the English page may be better.....

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/

Barry

PS My son and his family emigrated to France yesterday. He has bought a farm with 2 acres of good flat land....in Normandy.

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:29:35 am »

Thanks, Barry, that did not occurr to me, duh!

What part of Normandy, it is a large region?

Is he going to grow apples to make cider and calvados or raise cows and make butter?

Roger

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 11:43:21 am »

Roger,

He now lives in Vengeons, Manche and is going to start with horses for his wife.....Meanwhile he will continue to work at sea...

Barry

Hammer Man

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 05:43:23 pm »

Facinating Roger, thanks for sharing!  Brave men and women indeed, 90 days alone at sea!  They must be very skilled indeed!!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 07:29:19 pm »

Facinating Roger, thanks for sharing!  Brave men and women indeed, 90 days alone at sea!  They must be very skilled indeed!!
Or quite bonkers.
Notes from a simple seaman

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:40:51 pm »

One of the British girls, Dee Caffari has already sailed solo the "wrong way" round in 178 days in a boat designed for a full crew, so she is probably a bit of both  :-)) :-))

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 07:34:06 am »

Sadly, I did not get to the departure on Sunday (torn shoulder tendon so there was no way I was competing with a 300,000 crowd!).

So, sorry, no exclusive Mayhem coverage. However, as well as the Race Web Sites quoted above most skippers have their own Sites which are excellent. Dee Caffari has a great Site with an animated, cut away illustration of her yacht.

You can find the personal Sites by going to the official Site and clicking on "Skippers".

Several Sites offer real time audio and web cam feeds.

AN UPDATE: 5 skippers have already returned to port for damage repairs and they have not even left the Bay of Biscay as yet! The Rules allow only a return to port and a recrossing of the start line to rejoin the race before 19 Nov. Most problems appear to be electrical but one yacht has hit a Malayan coaster and smashed its bowsprit; one has lost some deck plating and another had a computer malfunction. The leaders should be well clear of the Iberian Peninsula today (got your eyes skinned, Barry?).

Roger in France
(Proud to live in La Vendee the Department which sponsors the race)

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:58:40 am »

Shame Roger. We are not going to Gibraltar till next week!!! <:(

Roger in France

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 12:30:24 pm »

Yet more disasters.

A total of eight yachts now returning for repairs. One was dismasted and has had to cut away his mast and sails!
The leaders are now enjoying better winds as they have rounded Cape Finistere.

Roger in France

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 09:57:26 pm »

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the info and update, will be following their progress from now on. I greatly admire their skill and courage, good luck and good sailing to them all.

Danny
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.