Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Engineering Techniques and Materials.

Proxxon bench circular saw KS 230

(1/5) > >>

barryfoote:
Well Xmas is getting close and Mrs. Footski says she will buy me the above saw. I have never owned such an item but always wanted one so now I have the chance.

What do you guys think of it? Is it up to the job or is there a better option? I don't want her to waste her money after all.

It will only be used for cutting wood in the modelling field. things like planks for hull and decks so nothing too heavy.

Barry

Guy Bagley:
Barry, i have one of these and would not be without it - they are great little machines

as you clearly state they are ideal for modelling  timbers, they wont tackle large or very  thick timber though, so long as you work within the limits of the saw they are fantastic...

the fence and the guides are nice additions, and help with precision cuts,  the saw is well made and mine has been reliable..

the blades are easy to change and replacements are also easy to get hold of, not too expensive either..

i have several blades, fine tooth, a blade for plastics and also a coarse type blade for ripping down timbers prior to fine cuts,

the saw will handle timbers, vaneers if careful,  acylix/ perspex, , plastics/ styrenes, ABS and other materials, - never used it for metals though....although i think i remember  having seen a blade for aluminium !

the little 240 v motor is powerful enough, and the machine is easy to clean down...

i have mine mounted to a base board which i mount to the workbench with g clamps, this stops everything moving during prolonged use- but 5 years on the saw is still top class

Roger in France:
I do not have the saw, Barry, but I do have many Proxxon tools and find them all excellent. They are robust and well engineered.

If your wife has not already spent her money, then try "Train Magic" in Germany. He does very good prices, in Euros and his postage in mainland Europe is OK and rapid. He speaks English. I will try to find his Web Site and post it in a subsequent message.

Roger in France

barryfoote:
Thanks for that chaps,

Guy,

The fence and guide you mention, are they standard or optional accessories?

Roger,

I would appreciate that web site if you can find it. I tried but failed miserably..

Barry

Dave Buckingham:
Hi Barry
I have three and the larger one wonderful machines and certainly earn there keep

Fence and guide come with it

Tip buy wood Bass Obeche etc in sheets 3 or 4 ins wide various thicknesses and cut as required much cheaper
and less storage space.

If using the fine Tungston Carbide blade it has no set and can jamb or scream in my case I have cut one of my
guides level with the blade but you could  put a piece of wood/plastic/metal against the fence to do the same

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version