Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Dolly Fire Boat Build.  (Read 13645 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robbe Dolly Fire Boat Build.
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 04:24:07 pm »

Haye no problem ;)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 05:54:44 pm »

As today was a nice day, i decided to begin spraying my Dolly. First to go on was Halfords grey primer, sanding in between each coat to ensure everything stays smooth. The front of the deck that was filled in with Stabilit Express turned out ok, no further work was needed. The rest of the boat still needed some more filler in places, so after sanding down i was ready for some more primer. The second colour of primer was white, which was sanded down with fine wet/dry before spraying with Halfords Nissan red. Right, now it was time to mask of the superstructure floor. I started off masking the edges with 6mm Tamiya masking tape, and i then used the widest Tamiya tape to fill in the center. The painting process was treated in the same way as the hull, which is now drying on the steps of my back garden. If the weather remains dry tomorrow, i shall mask off the top deck and sides and spray the lower hull gloss black ;)

I must say a big thanks to Stavros for sending me some liferings, top man!

More tomorrow...i hope!

Voyager.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 12:21:01 am »

Well after a few hours of spraying, here is what it looks like tonight. The paint will be fully hardened by tomorrow, so i will spray the lower half of the waterline gloss black.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 10:10:58 am »

To Flybobby,

I received the spring this morning, it's perfect for the job!

Hope i can return the favour sometime!!

Many thanks: Voyager.

flybobby

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 10:24:29 am »

To Flybobby,

I received the spring this morning, it's perfect for the job!

Hope i can return the favour sometime!!

Many thanks: Voyager.
Thanks, glad to be of help.  Your dollys looking great too. ;)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 04:26:15 pm »

Thanks Flybobby, so far so good!
The weather was dry, but had a strong wind, so i decided to still carry on spraying. The rear superstructure deck required re-masking so as it could be sprayed grey. The funnels on the factory model on the box had them in white, to keep with the same look as the Dusseldorf i went with Nissan red instead. The hull was masked off again :P so as i could put the final coat of grey on, this time spraying the rubbing strip also. The last thing i had to do was to mark the waterline. This was done using a dry wipe marker pen glued to an old video cassette (Not much use for anything else...thank you DVD!). Then i masked off the line with 6mm Tamiya masking tape, and filled in the rest with 40mm Tamiya tape (expensive stuff the tape, but not a single bleed ;D,) then off to the garden with Halfords black gloss spray paint...let the spraying begin. After an hour passed the paint was dry enough to remove the masking tape. The boat will be dry tomorrow, but i have a busy few days ahead, not sure if i will get a chance to do some more....Mmmm?

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2006, 12:41:04 am »

I was unable to wait until tomorrow to work on the boat ::) So luckily the paint was dry enough for me to handle the boat, so i started applying some of the stickers. I used trim-line white for the water line instead of the kit supplied white stickers, the trim-line is more flexible in my opinion. For the white window frames, the kit comes with pre-cut window stickers. After applying them i was unhappy with some of the patchy areas on the clear window parts, so i cut out the inner window sticker area with better results.

biggles1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2006, 09:47:09 pm »

Hi Dolly looks great mine coming along slowly, things like work gets in the way.Will send in photo soon How about a Dolly rally.A good source of small springs is ball point  pens,  the retractible type. we use them in our prop assemblies on rubber powerd model aircraft. Dave 

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 10:56:49 pm »

Thanks for that! Yes, i know the feeling regarding the work issue ::) I shall look forward to seeing some pictures of yours, you more than welcome to post them on here. Flybobby came to the rescue in the end, he sent me a spring he had for the same monitor ;D
I was busy decorating today, so not had a chance to work on the Dolly, maybe tomorrow perhaps.

Voyager/Wayne.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2006, 01:48:40 am »

Been burning the midnight oil yet again....feel totaly Zonked out, so here are some latest pictures for now....Cos i'm gonna get some shut eye....Zzzzzz.

info to follow shortly!

Voyag...zzzz.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2006, 12:57:57 pm »

WAYNE,

It's looking very good mate well done...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2006, 02:17:44 pm »

Many thanks Roy,

Having had some sleep, i can now tell you what i have been up to. The painted wheel house has now been glued on with stabilit express. The side steps have been built and holes filled with squadron filler, sanded and then painted with primer, then Citreon white. Trim line tape was apllied on the side of the hull for the waterline and edge of roof. Plastic bollards have been fitted to the rear, although the front one required cutting in half as per the instructions. Front hatch has been built, painted and fitted.The wheelhouse roof has been drilled in places to allow for the roof chrome plated fittings.
I am currently spraying the handrails, stanctions, chains, and light fittings all the required colours. These will be dry enough for me to fit them on tonight.

Next on my shopping list will be some Robbe Fire figures in 1:20 scale, 6v electric water pump, 1x Futaba servo, 1x 6v Gell Cell Battery :P....Oh my poor wallet!

Voyager.

Stavros

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2006, 11:14:29 pm »

Glad you recieved the life rings when is it due to have its maiden voyage?

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2006, 11:41:49 pm »

Not for a couple of weeks..sadly! Got a large order of work coming up which will take a while to complete...not to mention low funds at the mo, still need to buy some electrics to be up and running.

Voyager.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 01:22:26 am »

Not much more to do now! I satin varnished the grey decks, primered and sprayed the stanctions white and fitted to deck with superglue and Stabilit Express. I then bent and fitted the railings, primered and then hand painted them white. I fitted the German flag on the rear post with super glue. I glossed the roof over with varnish, the gloss has now given the blue emergency light a glass like shine ;D The navigation fittings are now painted and fitted, only the mast light and rear light to paint tomorrow. All that's left to do is make the side lifering holders and paint the last two rings...then it's the build all finished, only the electrics to fit and then off to the lake ;D.

admben25

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2007, 08:48:28 pm »

Hello! I'm new to this forum..
My name is Richard i'm 24yrs old and live near the City of Gothenburg in Sweden..
I started building scale boats 2yrs ago. My first build was a robbe dolly.
My dolly isn't a fire boat though it's the standard dolly.

I've made the following modifications:
*I made a balsa support block for the propeller
shaft because too much vibration caused the shaft, glued in place with only epoxy,
to break free.

*I glued the battery and motor support in place.
But then I cut away most of the battery support deck and replaced
with a styrene sheet resting on two plywood supports.

*I put a few lead plates as ballast under the new battery deck and
two boxes with leadplates on the left and right side of the stern.
My boat weighs about 2.5kgs fully loaded so i've put about 1kg of ballast in it so
it lies a bit deeper in the water than intended because I marked the water line incorrectly.
Anyway the boat is a bit more difficult to turn than without ballast but on other hand
it's alot more stable and handles chop better.

I've attached a picture. My boat isn't very beautiful right now. I was going to repaint it but I've had the time or motivation yet..
Please feel free to mail me at:rgn@swipnet.se If you wish to
share experiences of this model or scale boating in regular.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.