Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coloured cyano  (Read 2232 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Coloured cyano
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:08:10 pm »

Does anyone know if cyano (crazy glue) can be coloured? If so, what with that doesn't degrade the stickability of the adhesive? I know it can be bought for musical instrument repairs, but how about for the do it yourselfer?

John

craftysod

Re: Coloured cyano
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:16:48 pm »

Food colourant could could be an option,dont know if there will be a reaction,as im not a scientist

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:59:10 pm »

A trick that was put out on one of those modelling programs on Discovery a few years back mentioned joining two pieces of whatever it was together with PVA, (cant remember, it was quite some time back) then injecting the wet join with cyano.  This wicked in and set very rapidly. 
The PVA would probably stand pre-colouring with any water-based or acrylic colour, fine powder paint or similar.  Not tried it, just thinking aloud.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:32 pm »

You can colour cyano glue, we make a rage of colours to order ( but only batch quantities), yellow, brown, red, purple, brown, black, green, white , dayglow pink ,yellow and orange are colours we do regularly

We do as standard stock product (sold as the StarLoc industrial brand) a dayglow pink cyano (the other colours are made to order in batches of 1000 bottles minimum (we are thinking about doing a range as standard stock, but not sure wether to or not yet))

You can't add anything like food dye to CA , so dont waste the CA trying! ,

If you realy want to try it...... wear goggles......
take the top off the bottle and tip some food dye in......, quickly put the cap on and shake......(needs the cap on, it explodes beter!)
STAND BACK! (disclaimer, i dont expect anyone to try this, its not my fault if you do, i am not liable for damages if you zap.... yourself with hot CA )

It is very, very difficult to get a dye compatible with CA and then the CA needs different fomulation for use with the dye as well

In general the only other colour used as standard product is blue, however the blue dye lowers the strength of the CA , allowing it to be used as a temporary seal, making it not much use for structural applications

Even if you find a dye that seems compatible, it will set the CA off rapidly, unless the CA is manufactured to be used as a coloured grade

You are better to do what woodturners do, use a coloured dust and run thin CA to make it set in place, works with plastics ,woods etc

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 02:40:58 am »

You can colour cyano glue, we make a rage of colours to order ( but only batch quantities), yellow, brown, red, purple, brown, black, green, white , dayglow pink ,yellow and orange are colours we do regularly

We do as standard stock product (sold as the StarLoc industrial brand) a dayglow pink cyano (the other colours are made to order in batches of 1000 bottles minimum (we are thinking about doing a range as standard stock, but not sure wether to or not yet))

You can't add anything like food dye to CA , so dont waste the CA trying! ,

If you realy want to try it...... wear goggles......
take the top off the bottle and tip some food dye in......, quickly put the cap on and shake......(needs the cap on, it explodes beter!)
STAND BACK! (disclaimer, i dont expect anyone to try this, its not my fault if you do, i am not liable for damages if you zap.... yourself with hot CA )

It is very, very difficult to get a dye compatible with CA and then the CA needs different fomulation for use with the dye as well

In general the only other colour used as standard product is blue, however the blue dye lowers the strength of the CA , allowing it to be used as a temporary seal, making it not much use for structural applications

Even if you find a dye that seems compatible, it will set the CA off rapidly, unless the CA is manufactured to be used as a coloured grade

You are better to do what wood turners do, use a coloured dust and run thin CA to make it set in place, works with plastics ,woods etc

Thanks very much for your response. Very informative. I wasn't aware food dye would have such an effect on cyano. I'll stay clear thanks.
  I'll have to resort to some alternate means of obtaining colour, such as what you've offered.

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:03:13 am »

Dear Starlock

I think that there could be a market for coloured cyano. But maybe small.
I could see some demand for black, grey, and white. Possbibly brown.

I can only envisage it being used for CA Gel. What applications have you manufactured it for in the past. I ask this as it might give modelers some insights into additional uses or methods of using CA.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:53:57 am »

Dear Starlock

I think that there could be a market for coloured cyano. But maybe small.
I could see some demand for black, grey, and white. Possbibly brown.

I can only envisage it being used for CA Gel. What applications have you manufactured it for in the past. I ask this as it might give modelers some insights into additional uses or methods of using CA.

I know of it being used in the musical instrument repair and manufacture industry. Apparently there is a need for it when doing inlaid wood in instruments.

John

craftysod

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 02:21:04 pm »

Thanks for that Starlock,there is a warning there before anyone tries it
Mark

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 03:41:45 pm »

Main uses for coloured CA is to do quick repairs,  use a similar colour to the base material, generaly used as a thin so it wicks into the cracks, using an activator makes it set to fill the gap

On wood , so when varnished the glue doesnt show up as a diferent colour, CA takes a lot of stains on it, but stains are clear so the underneath difference can be seen, using something similar to the wood, be it dark or light coloured will hide the repair, it will look like the wood even if not identical colour, its better than a clear bit, but wood dust from the item is better with thin CA.

Colored CA also good for similar applications in many materials such as stone, brown and white used on marble in gravestone repair etc, again marble dust from the item is better.

Black CA, is used on dark car plastic, usualy the flexy CA in gel format, but often not in gel format as well, clear flexy and clear flexy gel on plastics to be painted, on plastic usualy used with a polyolefine primer to make sure the CA bonds to the plastic 100%

Its always better to get some of the material and use it as a powder to infill the area and then squirt it with thin CA

Thick or thin CA in bright colours such as our dayglow pink transparent CA, can be used as security seals,
the dayglow pink is best as once set its hard to see on surfaces, but our dayglow dyes iluminate under black light to glow brightly like a neon light, alowing an almost invisible seal to be checked
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.