Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On the Bus !  (Read 2259 times)

rogcox

On the Bus !
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:24:19 am »

Hi

Thanks to all who have responded to a 'newbies' numerous questions, I'm almost there with a decision to add rc yachting to rc planes.

Have I got it right in that the only yacht capable of 'in bag' transportation ie on the bus, is the Laser ?

Because of illness and the subsequent loss of licence, my only option is bus travel and so far I can only find the Laser with it's own bag, is there really no other yacht that can 'travel' the same way. For me, the Laser isn't the best looking yacht out there and at almost £400 it's very expensive for a newbie !

roger 

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: On the Bus !
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 11:33:24 am »

roger,
Do you intend joining a local club.
If you do I have usually found members are quite happy to pick up other members.
I usually do it and so do loads of others.
Just ask!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:39:32 am »

Roger

Do look at the Micro Magic, small, light and easy to transport. They have a large following in the Uk and Europe.
It is also much cheaper than the Laser and makes a nice replica of an early Mini Transat yacht.

Richard

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 01:07:33 pm »

Hi Roger,
I did not want to post, but having read your responce to Laser's think that I now can.
Sorry in advance to all you Laser sailors.
I had a Micro Magic and really loved it. Sold it when hard up, but wish I had not.
It is a proper yacht in miniature.
We used to fun sail at our club putting all our names in a hat, and then pulling a name out, had to sail that persons yacht.
During the afternoon about eight of us got the chance to sail a Laser, but none of us liked it, but found all the other yachts to our liking.
I have a La Intrepide 22" long 44" over all high when rigged. I did remove the pre fitted radio, and it is rudder only but a great little boat. They come up on ebay from time to time and also new.
If you want to build from scratch, I think I have a plan for a folding yacht which may be to your liking.

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 05:56:03 pm »

Hi Bob

Don't want to hijack the thread, but how did you get the deck off. Mine seems to be glued or something, when I remove the screws the deck is still held fast

TRichard

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:50:26 pm »

High Tester,
Common, life's never that simple. You do remove the screws, but then>
It's a case of getting your mini drill with a metal circ saw blade, and then cutting just under the capping strip all the way round. It's a bit tricky at the turn near the transom, but I squared that bit off.
After modding the radio side, I cut out the inner section where the batteries and switch went, under the removeable cabin section leaving a small lip all round. This gives a very limited access to the hull once it's all back together. I then tidied up the hull to deck join, and stuck it all back together. I sacrificed the rudder servo, and can't get to it. Once the glue dried, I cut a section of one mil. plasticard to go each side of the hull hiding the new join, and the same across the transom.

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:14:36 pm »

Thanks Bob, I think I'l leave that for a later project, it looks a bit too nice for me to attempt that at the moment  :-) :-) :-)

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:30:58 pm »

Hi Tester,
The only reason I did it was because the radio was naff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.