Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Smit Houston - Worlds First Aquaplaning Tug?  (Read 2928 times)

andyn

Revell Smit Houston - Worlds First Aquaplaning Tug?
« on: November 22, 2008, 04:46:05 pm »

Powered by a pair of flat sided 140's, with 14amp esc, whacking great 7.2v hobbyzone ZizZag racer battery, you would expect my little Revell tug I've been building to be relatively fast, but the fact that on it's bath trails it could get up on the plane in about a foot I was amazed :o

Never mind those big tugs at llanberis, this little thing will push Stavros up to Makara speeds :-))

Off to build a barge for it to tow now, pics will folow when I get my camera back from India...

As a side note, thanks go to SteamboatPhil for supplying me with some props and shafts for it, I couldn't find any suitably ones...

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Revell Smit Houston - Worlds First Aquaplaning Tug?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 04:54:51 pm »

Andy,

Is that the 1:200 scale kit? if so, would love to see some build pics and internal layout pics as well if you have any. I am thinking of this to go with my 1:200 Blue Marlin.

Also, what draft does it pull?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

andyn

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 05:02:43 pm »

Is that the 1:200 scale kit? if so, would love to see some build pics and internal layout pics as well if you have any. I am thinking of this to go with my 1:200 Blue Marlin.

Also, what draft does it pull?

Sorry no build pics but whe I get my camera back I will post some photo's of it, details etc. It is the 1:200 kit yes, and very nice it is too, give me a shout if you do decide to get one and I'll give you some tips on it.

I'll post a load of pics soon, I get the camera back in a week. I would reccomend this kit to you, just don't put as much power in as I did.

As for draft, I have no idea where to begin to measure it, as the only test tank I have is the bath and that'll corrupt the results, at the moment you shall have to just put up with A LOT!!!

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 06:46:50 pm »

Great stuff, thanks.

err, by draft, I mean how deep in the water does she sit, not how much weight can she pull.

Ian

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:33:08 pm »

hi Ian i have the kit. to get her to her water line that is scribed in the hull it is 29.50mm

john

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:41:30 pm »

Thanks John.

Ian

andyn

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:50:24 pm »

Ahh right, thought by draft it pulls you meant draft it PULLS.... I shall probably work that out in time too.

Yup I got mine up to the kit waterline, with the big heavy battery and reasonably large motors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 23 queries.