Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memos?  (Read 3018 times)

das boot

Memos?
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:21:19 am »

Memo to one's self...don't be tempted to add 'just a touch more' curry powder when making curried chicken and noodles for one's dinner.

:P  :embarrassed:  ;D

Rich

bigfella

Re: Memos?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:26:29 am »

What happened Rich, a bit of a flame out? I always find when I make a curry I err on the side of caution and then I am disappointed in the final taste as to bland. So I stick to making my own Satay Sauce.

Regards David

das boot

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:31:57 am »

'flame out' doesn't begin to get near it, David...

It's getting to awkward to say the least, trying to work on the Mighty Mo whlist standing up.... ok2

Rich (and so was the curry sauce....)  O0

bigfella

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:45:44 am »

'flame out' doesn't begin to get near it, David...

It's getting to awkward to say the least, trying to work on the Mighty Mo whlist standing up.... ok2

Rich (and so was the curry sauce....)  O0

{-) {-) {-) {-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 12:59:50 pm »

I hear SteamBoatPhil is looking for an new burner for his flash steam boiler!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

das boot

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:11:24 pm »

I reckon I could have powered an Ohio class sub after that Martin, never mind a flash steamer! Just a 'cuppa soup' for dinner tonight, methinks....

Rich

garston1

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 02:42:07 pm »

If you don't want it, could you post it to me please?

craftysod

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 03:45:27 pm »

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 03:48:07 pm »

Thats what I like to hear. A nice fresh clear out.

Won't be needing the Syrup of Figs tonight, I take it

Mind you its the strongest thing in the world,, even Samson had to drop it.

Seaspray

das boot

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 04:00:29 pm »

I reckon I've lost a stone in weight...   O0

Rich

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 04:19:39 pm »

I did that at sea one trip. The cook on the boat had to take a trip off ( think his wife was ill ) so I was "volunteered" to do the cooking ( on a 87ft side trawler with 8 of us aboard and I hadn't cooked at sea before...... oil fired range cooker too... ).
We used to keep any uneaten bacon , pollony , beef , chicken , tatties , veg , etc from the 3 meals of the day and chuck the lot in a big pot to re-cook them into a curry at night ( we called this concoction shackles for some reason ). Well first time I made it I went to put in the curry powder and it was in a white tub only marked curry powder so had absolutely no idea how strong it was ( neither did anyone at that point... )

I put in about a table spoon full but a couple of the boys said to put in more as they thought it was a mild powder........ so in went another table spoon full. This pot was cooking away while we sorted the haul for a couple of hours then the net stuck fast on a rock on the bottom , I never had the chance to go into the galley to move the pot off the stove.... ( curry gets hotter the longer it is cooked due to evaporation... ). Well 5 hours later once the net was retrieved and repaired and reset we all sat down for a bite to eat...... On our boat that meant passing down the pot to the cabin below decks , well I wasn't hungry so didn't taste it and before I got down below to have some myself half the crew were scurrying up out of the hatch for water with their mouths on fire.

Next 2 days were not pleasant and yes we ran out of toilet roll , thankfully we had to go in and land anyway ........
Davie Tait,
Scotland

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 05:06:02 pm »

Rich (and others) the hot components of curry and chilli are oil based. Drinking water will NOT alleviate The Burn. You need to drink something oily like milk or lassi - and similarly adding yoghurt or cream will tone down an overhot curry (think korma!) during cooking.

Andy, who once tried to extract a contact lens having just cut some jalapenos. You wouldn't believe how strong eyelids are when trying to prise them apart to get some relief in there. #1963#
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

kiwi

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 05:51:23 pm »

Spot on dreadnought72, water on chilly, same as water on greek fire.
Having lived in south east asia for a number of years found early on what those slices of tomato where for. When the mouth turns from red to white hot, simply pop in the slice of tomato, and instant relief. Also helps to regulate the the length of the flame out the other end as well.
Worked for me, and still does.
Long before I found this out, lived in London for a while, 4 of us shared a flat. One evening arrived home after work to find the two girls had kindly made dinner for everyone. I was the last home the girls had eaten and Mark had disappeared to the pub. Well, that was a little suspicious right off, anyway, sat down, girls fussed around and the plate appeared in front of me. Curried mince, with all the trimmings, looked very nice, if a tinge to yellow. Even though the two girls had already "eaten", give away number two, they sat down and chatted while I tucked in. The first mouthful, hey not bad. The second, getting a we bit warm. The third, well lets just say the sweat started to break out on the brow. The fourth, you know the macho teen male thing, well reasched for the glass of water conveniantly placed in the centre of the table. Big mistake, mouth went from red to white heat. Girls ask, do I like it. Macho male, yeah, not bad, how much curry powder did you use, while heading fifth mouthfull towards opening in face. Just as fifth mouthful arrived in tongue, reply came back, two desert spoons. How that mouthfull didn't forcefully find its way to the wall opposite I'll never know. Suffice it to say that cooking lessons where very high on the agenda that evening, as even I knew that for the given curry powder we carried in the cupboard, more than a pinch would burn the lining off of the mouth and everything on the way down, and out. All three of them thought it a huge joke seeing me "sitting in state" for most of the night. They had tried one mountful, duely spat out, before deciding to 'save it' for me, when I came home
Did get my own back on them all a few months latter, but that's another story.
kiwi

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Travelling overland from Europe and then five years schlepping around all over India teaches you a trick or two. A banana really cools the mouth down, and stirring sugar into the curry can help.

Apart from one or two in the South, always hotter down there, the hottest curry I can remember was on a Sikh farm near Bhatinda in the Punjab. The people were mostly vegetarian, but a chicken curry was prepared in honour of myself and the Indian army sergeant who had invited me. First mouthfull my lips went numb, second my tongue followed suit. I thought I just had to eat it, and looked across to my host Daljit to see how he was coping. Tears were streaming down his face. "I think they have put in too much chili" (they learned understatement from the English, I think) "but we must eat it." We did.

Kabul quickstep... Delhi belly... Bhatinda...?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

das boot

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 06:30:25 pm »

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have fallen foul (in more ways than one... :embarrassed:) of the Dehli Surprise. It was nice though, even though I say so myself...but the tablets did help this morning.  %%

Dehlia Whatshername...eat yer 'eart out!!

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.