Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Load or Feed?  (Read 20991 times)

Big Ada

Load or Feed?
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:38:19 am »

My Mate,Mmmm,is fitting a new Cooker switch and on the old one the connections were "Mains" and "Cooker" simple.
The new switch has "Load" and "Feed" He could interpret this either way.

Please help him out.

Thanks,

Len.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Load or Feed?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:52:23 am »

Feed is the mains and Load is the cooker.  :-))

Russ

Big Ada

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:05:30 am »

Thanks Russ. :-))

andygh

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:31:48 am »

If your freind doesn't know something as simple as where the load or feed should go maybe he shouldn't be doing it, for the sake of his own safety

OMK

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:51:03 pm »

Reversing the Feed/Load is not usually the done deal, but isn't a cooker switch just a straight-through double-pole switch anyway? As long as the Neutral pole doesn't switch a dead short across the Live pole, then it matters not which end is Feed and which end is Load. The worse that might happen is that some wag might come along one day and tell him that his feed/load connections are reversed. But at least he's in no danger of electrocuting himself as long as he wires the poles Neutral to Neutral and Positive to Positive?

Proteus

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 04:04:47 pm »

expert if some one comes along turns it off and tries to remove the live side thinking it's the cooker and they are dead.. :D 

Proteus

AlanP

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 04:27:39 pm »

expert if some one comes along turns it off and tries to remove the live side thinking it's the cooker and they are dead.. :D 

Proteus

You should test anything electrical before you touch it to make sure it isn't live. You should also test your meter on a known live source before testing the work piece (to make sure it is working correctly)

Alan

OMK

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:42:39 pm »

True, Proteus. But how many times have you heard of that happening? Most folk simply reach for the main circuit breaker before attempting to poke around in there anyway. If they're not sure what they're doing they end up calling for an electrician... or a bit of help from the forum.
True enough what you're saying, but an electrician would know what's what as soon as look at it. And you never hear of them getting zapped, right? Any half-decent sparkie would immediately spot the error, promptly fix it at no charge, and leave Big Ada's mate wondering why his cooker still worked even though the input/outputs were reversed.

Funny stuff, electricity.

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:02:41 am »

A correction.
Re testing your meter. You should test it on a known source BOTH before and AFTER you carry out a test. This is standard "belt and braces" safety routine as used for years in the supply industry. We normally used test lamps with fused probes (2-240V lamps connected in series) rather than meters which the company considered too expensive (and fragile) for us to have in our tool kits. Note, these lamps were proper commercial units designed for industrial use and NOT a bit of flex with a lampholder stuck on the end.

Re the "cooker switch". This can take two different forms, (1) a straight double pole switch (2) a double pole switch with a socket outlet mounted in the same enclosure (correctly termed a cooker control unit or CCU).
With type (1) it would simply be bad form to reverse the connections ('nuff said).
With type (2) the socket would dead until the double pole switch for the cooker was closed. Bad practice.

OMK

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:34:35 pm »

"...(2) a double pole switch with a socket outlet mounted in the same enclosure..."

Man, you is HOT!
When I penned that bit about the switch being just a straight-thru double-pole job, I was thinking: "Dare I mention anything about those cooker switches with an integral 13A socket?", then decided to leave it be, just to see if anyone would comment, or even notice what the outcome would be if'n the feed were reversed on such a beast.
Sure enough, only you engineer boffins spotted it.

I hope you're following this to the letter, Big Ada. I hope your mate hasn't zapped himself to bits by now.

Mr. Sweeper, just to add even more fun to the pot......
45-amp double-pole shower isolator switches (minus the neon)......

See where this is going?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 04:53:27 pm »

See where this is going?

BANG!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 05:05:34 pm »

Colin that did it, youv'e just made me roar with laughter!! {-) {-) {-)
Can we please have an 'electrocuted bloke' emoticon added to the list above?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 05:12:54 pm »

Not entirely joking! If you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing then don't tangle with the mains. When I was a kid I discovered the hard way that my ancient record player had a live chassis. I was thrown right across the room!

Prefer working with 'leccy to plumbing though....

Big Ada

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 05:53:05 pm »

Now Now children,
While all you lot have been scoring points off each other, I followed the simple answer given.

Load could be a hopper of sand Feeding a Cement Mixer or,
Feed could be Loaded onto a lorry.

Why make things complicated.

Len.  %)

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 06:08:08 pm »

PMK,

You also forgot the cooker switches with neon indicators, in which case the load and feed connections are important unless you want the neon/s permanently on .    :D  Same applies to any switch with a lit indicator (Shower switch, 13A spur unit etc) :-))

FC

OMK

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 06:20:48 pm »

But, but, but...... we're not trying to score points off each other. We're just enjoying a good giggle at your imaginary mate, the one presumably there to take the rap when things go belly up, because you forgot to mention if your switch was the straight-through flavour, or one with combined 13A outlet/neon, blah, blah.......

Big Ada

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 01:00:40 pm »

Hi PMK,

That wouldnt be Pre Menstral Kurrent (bu**er ) cant spell current.te he .
No mate it is just a straight through, no Neon, no socket job.

Any road up thank you all for your help and concern.

It all works fine.

Regards,

Len.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.