Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daz's pusher tug  (Read 4195 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Daz's pusher tug
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:13:44 pm »

A while back on here i saw this picture on a Rhine pusher tug and thought "that's nice".

So i decided to have a go in my own way to build something like it (not the same ) from scratch.
The first thing was the size ,i had to be able to get it in the cat and be able to lift it in and out of the water .So i decided on a length of 30" X 11.5" and a depth to the decks of 5" .

With high comings around the hatch area and a high bulwarks front and half way down the sides ,to keep things dry inside

I decided on a working winch on this one and with ideas from Poll and the lads at balne moore i chopped up an old B&D cordless screwdriver made a drum on the end and secured it on a ply plate , and screwed it to the deck.

Along with a couple of steel pins where the rollers would fit once the hatch comongs had been fitted , these were made from brass bar for the shoulders turned on the lathe and brass tube for the rollers.

I also fitthe a pair of corner rollers for the tow line to rub against as my idea was to run the line round the hatch to the front .

Working on the power for it i made up a pair of shafts and tubea for a pair of 70mm props ,these are powered by two 6-1 reduction mfa motors which i had bought from Westbournes .

My original intention was to fit a pair of korts made from cat food tins but after water trials this may not happen.

More to come soon.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
Re: Daz's pusher tug
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:38:07 pm »

i had to be able to get it in the cat

Why do you have to do this? Blimey you must have a big pussie.

craftysod

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:04:26 pm »

Can you tell me how you intend to seal rear hatch.thanks
Mark

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:34:04 pm »

Hi Mark , the rear hatch area has an internal bulkhead to stop any water getting into the main hull and the lid is a close fit ,also i will smear the inside with either bathroom type sealant or vasalene depending on how much access i will require in the future.
I may fit a coming around the rear decks to stop water washing over.
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 06:17:28 pm »

Time has passed after been happy with the water tests so i have put one version of what the wheelhouse will look like on .

daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 09:42:26 pm »

Been back in the shed this evening working on my recon of dutch river ,and whilst waiting for glue to dry i thought about the water trial and realised that i had put a spare 12v battery on the rear deck to ballast it down . Not wanting to do this again i decided to fit some lead , but as there was very little room under the steering hatch i decided to disguise the lead as a fender , and attach it with a rope and fit a pair of bollards at the stern , the first photo is with the battery , the second is the rope and bollard and the last two are of the fender held in place by the tow line as the glue on the bollards was not set .
What do you think.

daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 09:45:09 pm »

Oh , and i know lead is quite soft but you would not want to run into this one  {-)  {-)  :-)) .
daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.