Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SLA terminals and solder  (Read 13244 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SLA terminals and solder
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 08:58:02 pm »

I've got one of those Maplins crimpers. It's great, my hair has never looked better..... :}

Capt. Spaulding

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hurray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 09:04:57 pm »

Gentlemen, gentlemen, now, please...

Good. Now that that's settled, here's what I decided to do. I have crimped (which, unfortunately, I can't say in Latin). And not only that, but I used a semi-proper crimping tool that I just happened to have in the workroom. I say semi-proper, because I think that it was designed for crimping co-ax cable. But it worked very well with the spade connector, mashing the metal and plastic to a pleasing, efficient shape with minimal effort. Current is flowing from battery to ESC, as it should. On to the next step..getting out the d---ed soldering iron and attaching some capacitors the motor.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

Cheers,
Capt. Spaulding

OMK

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 09:30:41 pm »

Craplins?
CRAPLINS???

Mate, you're a man of God; you can't go round saying things like Craplins!...

Hehee... nice one!... right up there with Colin Bish's witty retort!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 09:55:20 pm »

There are 3 things to remember when soldering........cleanliness, cleanliness and cleanliness  O0

Faraday's Cage, you say if the wires are soldered to the battery, then removal requires snipping - not if you use Deans plugs, as shown in my earlier post. The pins on Deans connectors are spring loaded, gold plated, and provide an absolutely positive connection. By standardising on them, I can easily and quickly interchange batteries, motors and ESCs between any of my boats

Peter.

Stavros

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 10:19:01 pm »

OH FLJ even I have a ratchet crimper O0

Stavros

andygh

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 10:59:05 pm »

I soldered up to forty-five-thousand-million in a single day, every day, in offices all across the rathole town of Bridgwater.
Then I found a proper job.

{-) I can imagine  {-)

OMK

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 11:19:17 pm »

Captain S., so now that you're in business with the crimps, you've still got me intrigued. If I'm not being nosy, why did you prefer to solder the terminals in the first place? You mentioned about it making for a more convenient wiring plan.

Capt. Spaulding

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hurray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 02:37:25 am »

PMK:

Not nosy at all. My thinking about "convenience" ran something like this: rather than use a quick-release connector or some other device at the battery terminal, why not skip a step and solder directly to the terminal itself? But, it seemed reasonable to wonder, would the heat of the soldering process damage the battery? The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to know the answer -- curiosity, you might say, knowledge for the sake knowledge.  That's why I asked the brethren here at MBM.

Why did I finally decide to use quick-release crimp connectors? I had them in my tool box, I had the crimping tool, and I was concerned that my poor soldering skills would result in a dead battery fit only for use as a weight.

Mr. Fitness:

re Dean's connectors: I used a pair between the motor and the ESC. It was the first time I have put them into a boat, and I'm quite impressed with them. A very high-quality product. (Yes, I did have to do some soldering. The joints are gnarled and ugly, but they'll serve. And that heat-shrink tubing covers a multitude of sins.)

Cheers,
Capt. Spaulding

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 03:33:00 am »

Just a word of caution, if soldering any battery direct into a circuit, make sure you have 'quick pull'
fuse's, isolators etc, that can be quickly pulled in case of a problem! You don't want to be scrambling
about for wire cutters, pliers, knife, etc when smoke is coming from somewhere in the bowels of your boat!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 04:49:32 am »

Mr. Fitness:
  Mr Fitness???  :o :o he was my father  :} :} We're not that formal here Capt S. (or at least, I'm not)  :-)

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 04:52:18 am »

Just a word of caution, if soldering any battery direct into a circuit, make sure you have 'quick pull'
fusees, isolators etc, that can be quickly pulled in case of a problem! You don't want to be scrambling
about for wire cutters, pliers, knife, etc when smoke is coming from somewhere in the bowels of your boat!

Martin, precisely the reason why I use Deans connectors.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 10:23:15 am »

That's why I asked the brethren here at MBM.

And sometimes you will get a straight answer, quite often in fact. But sometimes.........

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 10:26:12 am »

That's why I asked the brethren here at MBM.

And sometimes you will get a straight answer, quite often in fact. But sometimes.........

............. a simple question will generate several hundred different solutions %%

Barrie

andygh

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 04:13:42 pm »

There's always something useful in amongst them though  ok2
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.