Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6v Lead Acid - Life Expectancy  (Read 2316 times)

Chris

6v Lead Acid - Life Expectancy
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:54:10 am »

Hi All,

I've had a Powertech 6v 4aH Lead Acid for well over a year and never charged it in that time. Would it be right to assume that it's likely to be passed it's best. It takes a charge OK but seems to lose power very quickly when connected and run.

Cheers, Chris

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 6v Lead Acid - Life Expectancy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:39:37 am »

Hi Chris, firstly, are you are charging it correctly and up to its full capacity? If so then you need to measure the current you are draining from it and divide the battery capacity by that figure, this should give you the run time you should expect.
For example, if you are drawing a constant 1Amp from the battery, you should see something approaching 4hrs of run time and if drawing 2Amps, expect something like 2hrs run time and so on. Any run time less than these figures would indicate that the battery is perhaps going west as they don't like being left flat for prolonged periods... this causes an effect known as 'sulphation' which is the kiss of death to lead acid cells. Replacements are now very cheap so it's not the end of the world if it has keeled over.
Regards....Chris

andygh

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:56:03 pm »

I have LA batteries nearly 7 years old that are AOK so age isn't the problem  :-))

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 03:59:55 pm »

Hi Andy,  I have one or two like that kicking around here but they tended to be from the higher end manufacturers like Yuasa which have lasted the pace and abuse I have meted out to them. I have also had one or two go out on me but those were badly abused and tended to be cheapies. I have also killed one or two by mishandling the charging requirements. The best way to keep these batteries stored up for prolonged periods is to fully charge them and simply keep them in a cool dry place.

Chris

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:07:47 pm »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I believe I charged the battery OK using the charger I bought with it. It has a LED which blinks when going into trickle charge at which point I assumed the battery was charged. As I said it's a new battery but I had it stored from new for well over a year before giving it its first charge. It just seems to lose its charge very quickly which is what made me think it's now duff.

Chris

andygh

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 05:43:59 pm »

Hi Andy,  I have one or two like that kicking around here but they tended to be from the higher end manufacturers like Yuasa which have lasted the pace and abuse I have meted out to them. I have also had one or two go out on me but those were badly abused and tended to be cheapies. I have also killed one or two by mishandling the charging requirements. The best way to keep these batteries stored up for prolonged periods is to fully charge them and simply keep them in a cool dry place.

Agreed, 100%, though I do have a couple of cheapie LAs still going OK

I had it stored from new for well over a year before giving it its first charge.

I'd wager a quid that's where your problem lies, they really don't like sitting around unused. I have a monthly regime (when I remember  %)) of discharging them with a car 21w indicator lamp then whacking them on charge
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.