Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A moment of your time, gentlemen...if I may.  (Read 4426 times)

das boot

A moment of your time, gentlemen...if I may.
« on: November 25, 2008, 03:50:38 pm »

Exactly a year ago today, by this time I'd died twice, and right about now I was in the Intensive Care Ward of the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, Kent, surrounded by the kindest and most hardest working nursing staff and doctors I have ever come across. They worked so very hard to keep me alive, and I'm glad to say they succeeded.

This is just to say a big and public 'THANK YOU' to all the doctors and nurses at the WH hospital, the paramedics and ambulance crews, and the Kent police for saving my life.

I am forever in your debt, guys and girls....thank you.

Rich

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A moment of your time, gentlemen...if I may.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:07:59 pm »

U33, get down there and leave a big bunch of flowers and a card so everyone knows about it. They may not remember you personally but a display such as that would be appreciated by a group of people who in my opinion are amongst the most dedicated and caring within our society. One just can't give these people enough praise for what they do.
Glad to hear you made it over the wire and congratulations at getting a second life. :-)) :-))
Chris 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:02:47 pm »

Nice to hear such good news is in these depressing times.

They worked so very hard to keep me alive, and I'm glad to say they succeeded. 
... glad to hear that .... else we may have to change the name of the forum!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

das boot

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:21:49 pm »

U33, get down there and leave a big bunch of flowers and a card so everyone knows about it. They may not remember you personally but a display such as that would be appreciated by a group of people who in my opinion are amongst the most dedicated and caring within our society. One just can't give these people enough praise for what they do.
Glad to hear you made it over the wire and congratulations at getting a second life. :-)) :-))
Chris 

One step ahead of you Chris...the guy I was fishing with at the time has taken care of that for me.

Nice to hear such good news is in these depressing times.

They worked so very hard to keep me alive, and I'm glad to say they succeeded. 
... glad to hear that .... else we may have to change the name of the forum!

err...thank you, Martin? It was mayhem in the A&E ward for a while!

Cheers,

Rich

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:50:13 pm »

I said my thanks through the local newspaper so I could thank everybody concerned and to give the NHS some praise for a change.

I quote.

I'm just so grateful to be alive, says dad

From the archive, first published Wednesday 22nd Dec 2004.

A GRATEFUL dad today said a huge "thank you" to the paramedics and medical staff who saved his life when he stopped breathing at his Southampton home.

Retired carpenter and joiner Richard Densham, 57, is lucky to be alive this Christmas after collapsing in the summer.

Today, the father-of-three of Cromarty Road, Lordshill, said: "Everyone was brilliant, but I was unconscious at the time and didn't get a chance to thank anyone.

"The doctors have told me I am lucky to still be here, so I am extremely grateful to everyone involved."

Mr Densham, who lives with wife Gillian, turned to the Daily Echo to thank the ambulance staff and doctors and nurses at Southampton General Hospital who saved his life.

An emphysema sufferer, he became extremely breathless one evening in August and realised he needed help urgently.

His wife said she would drive him to the hospital, but he asked her to get an ambulance. Five minutes later, he was unconscious.

A rapid response doctor soon arrived on the scene, along with two paramedics.

Two of them worked on Mr Densham while the third rushed them to hospital, where emergency department staff spent three hours battling to keep him alive.

With too much carbon dioxide in his blood, his vital organs almost stopped working completely.

Eventually, Mr Densham was moved to a ward and, after about ten days in hospital, was allowed home.

"Even when I was home, nurses from the hospital's respiratory centre came round every other day to check on me," he said.

"They gave me a pager number to call if I had any problems. It really is a wonderful service. It takes the weight off your mind."

Mr Densham said although he still had health problems, he would always be grateful to medical staff for saving his life.

Archive Home
From the archive
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk
© Newsquest Media Group 2004
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:12:12 pm »

As Richard has done get it into the local paper and thank them publicly they are wonderfull people who's gift for their job let alone their dedication is second to none.We are so lucky in htis country of ours to have the skill and dedication of these people,long may it go on

Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:31:56 pm »

So you are both only 1 year old, that explains a lot!!

Some sobering thoughts there with the pair of you.

Yes the NHS does a wonderful job.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

das boot

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 09:13:30 pm »

Anyone local to the Kent area, keep an ear on BBC Radio Kent tomorrow....I'm hoping they will mention my thanks to everybody tomorrow morning.

The NHS gets it's fair share of knocks, sometimes deservedly, but anyone who knocks the William Harvey Hospital will be seeing me very soon...  <*<  <*<  <*<

I'm glad everybody else who posted on this is still healthy...take it easy, lads.

Rich

bigfella

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:11:33 pm »

If you guys are like me the glass is always half full. The power of positive thinking and the dedication of fantastic medical staff should be praised. Hospitals always get bad press and gossip by those who have never really needed its help. The best we can do is constantly give positive press about our experiences through the local papers etc. I too have had similar experiences and have written several letters to the local paper praising the nursing staff who are stretched to the limit in a underfunded system but still manage to give the patients the care and professionalism needed and all that with a smile. Nurses are truly something special.

Regards David

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:28:04 am »

If you guys are like me the glass is always half full. The power of positive thinking and the dedication of fantastic medical staff should be praised. Hospitals always get bad press and gossip by those who have never really needed its help. The best we can do is constantly give positive press about our experiences through the local papers etc. I too have had similar experiences and have written several letters to the local paper praising the nursing staff who are stretched to the limit in a underfunded system but still manage to give the patients the care and professionalism needed and all that with a smile. Nurses are truly something special.

Regards David

I second that.
all to often we complain about the NHS. But Acute care in the UK is very good. Living in China I know that if I had a situation where my heart stopped, I would be dead.
Here the ambulance drivers can drive, there are few if any paramedics. Recently an office worker walked through a glass door and was badly cut, even though this was only 3km outside a central area of a major city, an amubulance was quoted as taking one hour.

In the UK we are mostly very lucky.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Damien

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 04:19:12 am »

In '94 I had surgery for a Pituitary tumor the size of a grapefruit, an allergy to the antibiotic (Tetracycline) put me in coma in ICU for 10 days with sugar levels 35+, in that 10 days the staff at Royal Melbourne Hospital poured 3 million dollars of insulin into me at the rate of 9600units a day ( average dose is 4units several times a day), a 7 day stay ended up as 7 weeks extremely traumatic for a fella with a phobia of hospitals & needles since 13mths old.
Several months later when i was fit to travel, my wife took me to RMH with a very large box of chocolates for the ICU staff & one for each ward i'd been in, also for Prof Kaye my Neurosurgeon and  Prof Peter Coleman the Endocrinologist that looks after me to this day.
The person I thank most is my wife Jo she refused numerous times when the wanted to turn the machines off, and was able to prove via heart & brain monitors that idid infact respond when she talked, caressed or kissed me, so the med staff tried harder to revive me which i'm very thankful for.
Chris,
Trauma like these certainly changes ones outlook on life with a determination to make the best of every day available to us even if the condition results in a restriction on what we are physically able to do.
All the best to you and the others on Mayhem that have been through or will endure these debilitating trauma in the future.
Damien.   

garston1

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 06:24:43 pm »

Well seeing as we're talking being lucky! I was born with Pneumonia and Meningitis, i died shortly after birth but was resuscitated. At the age of 16 i was diagnosed with Crohns Disease (eventually resulting in the usual).
   In 1976 after being in Hospital for 6 Months, i was allowed out for the weekend to stop me getting institutionalised,  On my first day out i got shot in the face, that resulted in me being blinded in the right eye.
   Sooooo, straight back into hospital. I was completely blind for the next 6 months and was then transferred back to my original ward were i became seriously ill again.
   I was due soon to have a major operation and my Mum and Dad wanted to take me on holiday, the doctor told them to do so because i may not survive the Op, cheerful eh? Any way in the 70s Butlins was the place to go, so off we went. Being quite ill there wasn't many times that i could go out. I was laying in bed on one of my off days when all of a sudden alarms started sounding, Butlins was on fire! Out i was dragged just in time before the Chalet burnt down!
   Next day i found a bit of strength to have a slow walk, and decided to go and have a nose at the roller skating rink. I was standing about 10 people deep in the crowd when all of a sudden a wheel flew off someones skate, right through the crowd and hit me in the temple, knocking me out and at the same time fracturing my skull.
    Soooooo end of Hol, back in Hospital.
    During the 80s i crashed a motorbike, breaking nearly every bone i have, but was repaired In the 90s as a roofer i was actually walked backwards off a roof whilst carrying a roof board, i broke my back! I now have steel pins holding me together.
   This century has been quite quiet, having only Gout, tendonitis, high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol.,
    what can i say about the NHS? Brilliant throughout my life, There's no doubt i wouldn't be here without the help of these underpaid and overworked heroes. No thanks or help can repay the gratitude i owe these people, they deserve every penny they get.
    Sorry to ramble on, but it's something i hold close, thanks!   

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 06:36:29 pm »

Wow garston1 if you need a hand with anything dont ask me I'm very busy for the next couple of years.  ok2
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

das boot

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 08:48:19 pm »

Good grief man, it's a bl**dy job you're not a horse...you'd have been put down years ago!   %)

Man, you have been through the mill...my congratulations for still being here at all!!! I know what you mean about the metalwork, I have pins and plates in my leg and arm and a plate in my skull, the result of a m/bike smash many, many years ago. Tell you what, probably best you stay in bed from now on.

On second thoughts no...you'd probably fall out of the thing!  O0

Stay safe...

Rich

bigfella

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 09:05:02 pm »

To put it one way for all of the preceding posts. "Every day above the ground is a good day" It is good to be alive, enjoy life :-)) :-)) :-)).

garston1

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 09:31:56 pm »

Other things have come to my mind, but i won't bore you ;)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 03:48:13 pm »

My God man...are you sure not not a re-incarnated cat!?? I don't think I will complain of my aches ever again as it's b-gg-r all compared to that lot. Congratulations on being alive. :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 02:28:50 am »

Garston

Remind me never to get on aship with you  :o ;)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.