Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scooter motor controllers  (Read 2810 times)

Garabaldy

scooter motor controllers
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:33:50 am »

Ive been trolling about on ebay looking at motors.  It seems you can get nice big cheap scooter motors for less than £10!!  what im wondering is do you need a scooter controller or would i be able to use my action speed controller providing the amps were within the controllers limit (which they are)

just being curious....

Sandy Calder

Re: scooter motor controllers
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:51:50 am »

I would appreciate an Ebay number,by pm if neccessary, in order to see if they suit my need.
They are the same types of motor used in golf karts and one motor of my dad's fleet is on the bum.
Replacements cost £37.
Thanks
Sandy Calder

Garabaldy

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:58:38 pm »

Sandy Calder

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:42:37 pm »

Hi Garabaldy.
It is just a brush dc motor only bigger.
I estimate on 24 volts it will stall at 16 amp.If your speed control reverses with a relay then add a 4-diode bridge to freewheel current when switches or relays open.
To see what a motor like that can do to un-protected switch contacts hook a car fan motor to a 12 volt battery and make/break the circuit with two wires.

Garabaldy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 03:07:31 pm »

sorry i have no idea what most of that meant.... :embarrassed:

Sandy Calder

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 03:59:32 pm »

If the speed controller reverses by means of a relay, the four diodes connected in the para "basic operation" of  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge will stop the speed controller relay being destroyed as the motor freewheels.
The motor terminals should be connected to the ~ and the battery to + and -.

If the speed controller can handle the voltage,current and the energy stored in the motor it should be ok.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 04:28:18 pm »

It looks like a larger version of the standard DC motor used in most model boats.
In that case you can use a normal 'standard' speed controller, one that can handle 20 Amps and 24 volts.

It's up to 24volts so it's best suited to a 24volt supply from your batteries.
You could try running it on 12volts (the "normal" voltage for many boats) but it may be a bit too slow as these types of motors are
usually high torque (power) but slow revving.

What type of vessel are you thinking of using it in Garabaldy?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Garabaldy

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:57:13 pm »

something along the lines of a 2m long OSV.  I havent started building yet im just planning.  I may get started in a couple weeks. i would expect on an OSV that big the props would be around 100mm.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 05:00:40 pm »

Without a better spec. on the motor, it's bit of a 'shot in the dark!'   {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 05:37:39 pm »

It sounds as if you have a motor like what the tug boys use ,about 3" diameter and either grey or red with alloy end plates  maybe ???.
These motors will run from 6 to 36 volts and will happily swing a 100mm prop on 12v but the rev's wont be as high as they would on a higher voltage .
Yes they will run off a standard esc but  i personaly dont think the freewheel effect counts  as the resistance on the prop from the water with the vessil in motion would stop a large prop almost imediatley (thats my thoughts anyway), apart from that on a full sized boat you would not normaly put the prop into reverse from full forwards throttle.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.