Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rc tamiya enterprise pics  (Read 5983 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
rc tamiya enterprise pics
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »

HI, i have revell uboat in the sub section but this is my other pride and joy. the tamiya enterprise. its a bit hard to get so much in just a few pics but i think you get the idea.

Grant

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: rc tamiya enterprise pics
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 10:39:27 am »

Have you had it on the water yet, and was it hard to balance with ballast, and under power does it roll more than is necessary...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:13:03 pm »

Please tell us more about the RC conversion, problems encountered, how you overcame these problems, etc.
Do you have any pictures of the interior of the hull, with all the motive power and radio kit installed?

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 06:50:13 pm »

I'm friends with "Uboatbuilder" and he uses internet cafe's to comms, so will let him know he has some questions to respond to. He has had it on the water a few times now, it looked very impressive on the lake.

Voyager.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 10:28:36 am »

Hi Here are the pics you wanted hope they're ok. :) To be honest i didnt encounter any major problems. the only ones i can think of are quite minor such as fixing down the planes so they dont blow away! so i just drilled a small hole through the deck and the plane (carefully to not go straight through the top of it) And glued (araldite) a small piece of brass rod into the hole in the plane then into the deck. Its alot more secure than just glueing the wheels to the deck because they're PE so theres next to nothing to glue to. Another small problem was the colour for the planes, to find the right shade of grey i had to mix tamiya sea grey (i think I can check if you want) And tamiya flat white i can give a list of the paints that i used if you like cos theyre different to the instructions. However one problem you may encounter now is that tamiya no longer do the gearbox that i used (out of a tirpitz kit) though i guess you could just use two motors though obviously i havent so it is something youd have to try. Cutting open the F-18 canopies people seem to see as a problem but its fine just be careful! And the props and shafts are from Prop Shop. If i think of anything else i'll let you know. ;D. OH and to get the sea kings(helicopters), hawkeyes(radar planes), A6 Prowlers(you get intruders in the kit) you have to buy an additional plane set. I can give you model numbers if you wish.

Grant

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 10:51:09 am »

HI Roy, The ballasting isnt that hard. I find it mainly depends on the position of the battery. What I do is, when i go to the lake i put it in the water see where it sits and if its leaning i just move the battery over slightly. Its not ideal but it works and only takes about 5 minutes. Once its running if you stay (like i do) to a scale cruising speed (quite slow) it doesnt roll really at all. However if you pick up speed and turn it can get quite scary. Also i try to only use it when there isnt much wind because the overhanging deck acts like a sail! and pushes it over. It has happened to me, it didnt capsize but it was scary and there was alot of nervous laughter afterwards, especially when i brought it back and saw how far over it actually went, all of the small platforms along the side of the middle deck that join to those antennas were full of water! :o. However to remedy this i just turn so that the wind blows down it rather than across it. Also i havent used a keel because i didnt want to ruin its looks, I have been told that this will probably cure it. Though someone suggested to me putting just a piece of clear plastic or perspex on the underside so that it causes resistance when it rolls either side. And you wont see it. But because of building my sub i havent had time to try it out.

Grant :)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 10:57:08 am »

If you have anymore questions about it feel free to ask. And if you are making one there is quite a bit on it that isnt included in the kit such as photo-etched parts and extra decals. If you want to know what i used. Just ask and i'll tell. ;D. And if you want more detailed pics of the smaller details such as close ups of the aircraft or the island just ask and ill get them on here and do my best to explain what ive done and what i used to do it. :)

Grant

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 11:40:51 am »

Maninthestreet i forgot. the front end of the hull is a seperate piece so i glued it and screwed it (screws provided), then just sealed the joint with silicone sealant. prop shafts are fixed with araldite (you have to make the holes slightly larger so the shafts fit and you can get the angle) and that is watertight without sealant. The other two holes were filled and sealant put over it, and the rudders are made of brass. Its funny, when telling people about it i always overlook the big things and remember the small things cos its usually the small details they want to know about. ::). :)

Grant

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 09:30:26 pm »

I have seen these with a removable keel, much like a yatchs, though not as long. Keep rolling to a minimum.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 06:03:33 pm »

Yeah someone told me to try that but the thing is the lake we use is so clear youd be able to see it and that would just be annoying. So i think id rather put up with the rolling for now it doesnt get to annoying.

Barthez

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 04:45:19 pm »

I have fitted a drop keel to my 1/96 Long beach. it sits about 4" below the hull. it partly retracts into the hull when its on display.
When the model is close you can't see it because its close the the hull and the ship has a wide beam, when the boat is more than 6 feet away you still can't see it because of the viewing angle and reflections on the waters surface. It really does work, the Long Beach does not roll too much even in high winds. My keel is on brass rods which sit in tubes in the hull. when the model is on display I can remove it all together.(makes it a bit lighter for transporting)
Bart

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 06:02:13 pm »

why not use clear perspex for a removeable keel? I doubt that it would be too visible in clear water due to reflection/refraction.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Barthez

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 06:31:56 pm »

reflection/refraction.

Those were the words I was looking for !

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 09:59:54 pm »

I must have swallowed a technical journal! ;)
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 12:04:24 am »

Grant,

what rudders and props/propshafts did you use? How is the deck held to the hull, or does it just rest on top ?

MITS

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 01:22:39 pm »

HI maninthstreet, I made the rudders from brass. just drew round the kit ones onto brass sheet and soldered a brass rod through it. The props and shafts are made by prop shop if you send the kit props then theyll make them for you out of brass. The deck is very secure as it is, those metal plates shown in the picture comes with the kit help to hold it down.

Grant

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 10:38:18 pm »

she looks good anyway :)
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 09:03:34 am »

Would very much like to see some pictures of you 11ft model, and i know Uboatbuilder would also!

Voyager.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 04:04:45 pm »

Yes Paul show the pics, let us see what you are talking about, you never  know where it will lead..>

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 01:39:30 pm »

:o Thats one big boat!! Would love to see it when its finished!! :)

Grant

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 01:51:35 pm »

Just had a more in depth look at your website I love your frigates and destroyers. Particularly the british ones. The detail is brilliant, I'd probably lose patience upon unfolding the plans  :D. They're sooooo cool  8) 8) 8).     I LIKE!    I WANT! ;D ;D ;D

very impressed (and im quite hard to please :) ) Now i definately cant wait to see the carrier.

Grant

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 03:38:44 pm »

Hi, might do a Trumpeter Nimitz some time in the future. Anyone done one, seen one?

Grant

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 09:36:23 am »

Have you built it or are you just using individual parts as a reference?

If you have built it could you post some pics?

Thanks

Grant
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.