Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted Vanguard hull  (Read 3356 times)

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
Wanted Vanguard hull
« on: November 27, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

I'm after a Vanguard Hull, OTW, etc, anything considered, not bothered about the innards cash waiting if someone has an unstarted project etc!

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Wanted Vanguard hull
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:08:09 pm »

Sent you a pm

Andrew

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 09:01:21 am »

Cheers all who sent me messages about "Churchill", & I've sent him a pm, I've also sent you my details Andrew.

I have a Sheerlkine Trafalgar that could become part of a deal, my son's on V boats, hence the reason for building one.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 07:36:59 pm »

Dave Merriman did an upgrade to the original kit, which corrected a few of the errors (which were minor). Much nicer hydrovanes with correct end profiles and faired into the hull, and a corrected conning tower- the kit original is too tall. Dave's tower is really a lovely piece- a model within itself.

As your son is on the boat, you'll probably be able to get some first hand information on the propulsors fitted to these boats. From what I gather, neither Dave's or Propshops are correct, however the latter produces decent thrust.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:54:07 am »

It may seem petty Turbulent, but you would be better using the propulsor supplied with the kit, super scale in this area ain'nt going to gain much and it also saves your lad being on a "Fizzer", it's still part of the O S A.
  From someone whose 2 sons have both served on your Avatar and one of whom has just given back his Bomber.
  I mention this not from the "I'll tell on you" point, but recently one member of this forum had to retract sensitive "Works" pictures. The V-bombers may be old technology, but some bits are still secret? ?
  Regards  Ian.

PS.  "Extra" hull details are easily visible from the shore, but the go bits aren't.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 11:35:07 am »

I agree it's not worth getting into trouble over. There is enough information out there to assist with making these units though.

1. Rolls Royce make the propulsors for our boats. They make no secret of the knowledge that propulsor design benefits greatly from their jet engine designs.  This information is published on the web. A look at Jet engine fan blades shows a smooth sweeping arc, rather than the more 'paddle' shaped blade on the prop shop version.

2. All 'quiet' fans use odd numbered blades. Even the fans used on computers use odd numbers. I don't know the science behind this, but there is clearly method at work here. The propshop fan has 15 blades, Dave's has 18. What the Vanguard has is classified knowledge, but I'd hazard a guess the units on offer aren't too far out. Interesting that on the U.S Seawolf class they use a much lower number of blades with both pre and post swirl stators.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 07:14:44 pm »

I spent 6 yers in the mob so I know the score, wouldn't ask him to do anything dodgy, he's a greenie so unless I want to built the shiney things inside, I'll get the info from the net.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 08:12:13 pm »

To emphasise the propulsor secrecy kick, on one of Swiftsures dockyard refits many years ago, the "Fan" was taken off and sat flat on the quayside. EVENTUALLY ( days later ) someone pointed out that the top secret go bit was in full view of the spy satellites. Tarps were then hurriedly dragged over it and tied down to keep the prying eyes of Ivan (and Chuck) off it.  :embarrassed:  %) Barn door, horse, bolted ?   >>:-(
 Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Albion

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 03:07:46 am »

2. All 'quiet' fans use odd numbered blades. Even the fans used on computers use odd numbers. I don't know the science behind this, but there is clearly method at work here.
A phenomenen called vane passing frequency, but its not so much the number on the rotor but the relationship to the stationary diffuser and number of vanes there. I think you will probably find an even number of stationary blades and odd number of rotary blades. Its quite a common problem on more basic Centrifugal pumps where you have 2 volutes and 4 bladed impellers can cause a lot of vibration at certain speeds

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 10:16:09 am »

I thought the Swiftsures used conventional propellers, not propulsors like the Vanguard and Trafalgar class boats.

Interesting information, Albion.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 10:50:27 am »

Superb had a propulsor fitted quite a while back during the big refit to fire TLAM ( Tomahawk cruise missiles ) back 10 years or so ago
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.