Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do I paint first?  (Read 2107 times)

aestus57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pentland Model Boat Club
What do I paint first?
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:54:18 pm »

Hi Guys,
I'm in a real quandry over this.  I've just about finished building the hull of a Mersey Docks and Harbour Co, vessel .. the Vigilant ... scratch built plank on frame, and have filled and sanded till I've lost count of the number of times. I think I'm just about ready to start the spray paint job in earnest, but what do I paint first??
The main hull is the usual red oxide anti-fouling with black upper works and that seems easy enough, but how do I go about painting the inside of the bulwarks, which are white?  When is the best time to put in all the bulwark stiffeners, I take it that I'll have to spend a couple of weeks masking the deck off all around them and then once they're painted, mask them all out in order to paint the deck.  And then there're all those holes in the bulwarks for hawes pipes etc..... its a real headache!!!  any advice will be most welcome.

I've put some not very good photos on, hope they work.  Taken before all the sanding and filling!!

Think I'm suffering from De Ja Vu,   I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: What do I paint first?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:08:34 pm »

Aestus57, my approach would be to put the bulwark supports in now, then undercoat the whole lot. I would then paint the deck, as I think it would be easier to mask the deck than the bulwarks with all those supports, and follow up by painting the bulwarks. It will be fiddly masking in between the supports, but it can be done with the aid of a very sharp knife. I used the above method on my Model Slipway "Sentinel" with good results.

These are my suggestions, but others on the forum may have better ideas.

Good luck,

Peter.

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:38:52 pm »

Do all work before painting.Sanding sealer as required,primer,rud down etc.Paint bullwarks white,red oxide and black the hull,mask off do the deck,hope this helps

Stavros

aestus57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pentland Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:28:33 pm »

Many thanks guys,  I think I have now realised how much work there is still to do before final painting.  I was definitely rushing things a bit and getting ambitious to see the the hull in its final colours.

Have decided to give it a couple of coats of primer to give me an even surface to mark out on, and then do all the bulwark piercings and stiffeners before even thinking again about the final paint job.

Regards
Peter
Think I'm suffering from De Ja Vu,   I'm sure I've forgotten this before!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.