Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sealed lead acid battery: Revive after long non-use?  (Read 4644 times)

TCC

Sealed lead acid battery: Revive after long non-use?
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:56:30 pm »

Hi
I've a sealed lead-acid type battery in a hull and the model under-went a prolonged storage over a decade. Now I get no joy from the battery... yet my other models (SL battery) work fine. It's also sorta built into the hull so I'd rather revive than replace.

The problem with this battery is that it was brand new before it went into storage so it never had been charged/discharged more than once... if that even. I may have charged it initially and built it into the model which was never finished.

My query is has anyone got any tips on how to revive it? Is there anything I can do before binning it?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Sealed lead acid battery: Revive after long non-use?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 05:06:59 pm »

After 10 yrs?
All you can do is try and charge it and see if it holds a charge, but I would be very surprised if it does, in fact amazed!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

andyn

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:24:49 pm »

Seconded, it won't hold a charge, as the terminals inside are most likely to be sulphated (not going to explain this, don't have time to, just take it from me, it's bad). My Perkasa was in the same state when I got it, the first thing I did was take the battery out, makes good use now as ballast %)

See  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12000.0

TCC

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 06:03:02 pm »

Thanks lads... I sorta knew it was dead but what inspired hope was a older SLA battery that's been in the cupboard BUT that still works. Granted, I haven't used it in anger yet but...

So my Q is why does 1 work and the other not? The only thing I can account for the difference is one had been used (charged/depleted) a few times and the other was a virgin. Is that the why? behind it not working? That it didn't have a background of charge/deplate?

It reminds me a bit of NiCads... if you don't use them from new and give them a 'memory', you're beeped!

Thanks again

wideawake

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 06:29:35 pm »

Let me guess!   The one in the boat wsas put away after use without recharging?  In which ase it will undoubtedly have sulphated and be beyond useful salvage.   The other one may have been syored pre-charged which will have helped preseve it.   However, just cos it apperas to be charged doesn't mean it'll have full capacity under load.   I reckon you need to put a load on it and see how it behaves then.

Cheers

Guy

OMK

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:49:31 pm »

"My query is has anyone got any tips on how to revive it? Is there anything I can do before binning it?"

Have a word with SunnyBob (Frank). He's probably the only man you'll ever meet who can bring dead batteries back to life.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 01:04:57 am »

The one in the boat was put away after use without recharging? 

Guy, I always charge my SLA batteries after a sailing day, so am I doing the right thing then?

Peter.

wideawake

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 08:11:05 am »

The one in the boat was put away after use without recharging? 

Guy, I always charge my SLA batteries after a sailing day, so am I doing the right thing then?

Peter.

Hi Peter

Yup definitely.  Lead acid cells should always be stored charged.  They gradually lose capacity once charged so ideally they should be discharged and recharged from time to time.

Cheers

Guy

TCC

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 03:08:45 pm »

Let me guess!   The one in the boat wsas put away after use without recharging?  In which ase it will undoubtedly have sulphated and be beyond useful salvage.   The other one may have been syored pre-charged which will have helped preseve it.   However, just cos it apperas to be charged doesn't mean it'll have full capacity under load.   I reckon you need to put a load on it and see how it behaves then.
Guy, I have no idea what condition it was stored in, I just can't remember day-to-day events in 94-95-ish. It's a big 6v 10ah battery and I'd used it about 20 mins on a lake (it as 4 x 385 type motors)

PMK: I'll try to find sunnybob frank and PM him, thanks mate.

But I once got my hifi LP record player deck down from the loft, found it worked (spun) but needed a new stylus so I bought one, which was quite dear, IIRC. On trying the record deck with nice new needle that didn't ruin my LPs, I found the motor were giving a good impression of being tired and didn't spin the platter at the right speed, then it just gave out.

The lesson I learnt was test the blxxdy thing before you part with any more hard-earned on old or iffy items. I don't mind buying a new battery for it but not if I'll never sail this boat again.

Plus I screwed the battery in via a ali bracket and I'll have to drill a hole in the deck to get a screwdriver at the screws that hold this bracket in. [I guess vecro was invented in 1994?]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.