Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SEAPORT TUG SAYS "HI" FROM NEW ZEALAND!  (Read 13729 times)

KWAKNZ

SEAPORT TUG SAYS "HI" FROM NEW ZEALAND!
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:11:02 am »

Hey everyone!

Great to see a huge following of this awesome boat!
I received mine yesterday, its the Hen Long made in china version. I was hoping some of your guys would be able to give me some information on sorting out the mechanics of the boat.

I have been reading alot on here and got a little confused! (not hard!)

I would like to make it full proportional  rudder and motor.
To do this I need to change the rudder servo and change the motor servo correct?
I want to do this on a budget but also do it properly, if you state what version and brand I can search locally for the items.
Does it have to be a ESC for the motor? or can it be mechanical?
Also I would like to keep the original motor, but want longer running times, can I use the 6V 6AH AGM SLA BATTERY with this motor? and change everything else to work with this battery?

See I'm confused, but did get to take the boat out this morning for its first run. I'm pretty lucky here as I have dozens of r/c boat lakes/ponds to use with jetty's and wharfs made for them.

Hope you guys can help, cheers KWAKNZ

Weeds

Re: SEAPORT TUG SAYS "HI" FROM NEW ZEALAND!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 01:51:08 am »

Dear Mr. KWAKNZ,

We are thrilled to have you aboard! Let me try to shed some light on your questions as a newbie can.

I would like to make it full proportional  rudder and motor.
To do this I need to change the rudder servo and change the motor servo correct?

Yes, change the rudder servo like this

To control motor, a) an on/off/reverse switch controlled by a servo is fine and you can pull out microswitches for this from any old computer or vcr
b)alternatively you can use pretty much any esc rated for 5Amps or more

Also I would like to keep the original motor, but want longer running times, can I use the 6V 6AH AGM SLA BATTERY with this motor? and change everything else to work with this battery?

Absolutely, you can use the 6v battery, but the boat will be a little slower than stock speed.

See I'm confused, but did get to take the boat out this morning for its first run.

Prior to your maiden voyage, check for leaks in the bathtub, don't without a rescue stick/fishing pole/whatever you can think off - the radio is likely to cut out and leave you stranded in the open water.

Most importantly of all, have fun!  :P

KWAKNZ

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 02:10:11 am »

Thanks for the reply, I did try it in the bath before hand it was dry, so took it to the local r/c lake, went like a dream, just annoying with the throttle being ON/OFF.

Just want to clear some things up.. I see the rudder servo for the steering, what kind of servo do i get? (brand/model)

plus..

To control motor, a) an on/off/reverse switch controlled by a servo is fine and you can pull out microswitches for this from any old computer or vcr
b)alternatively you can use pretty much any esc rated for 5Amps or more

So as long as it is rated 5Amps or more I can run it? with 6v battery as mentioned before.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:59:48 am »

As weeds says, an electronic speed controller will give you full sped control both forward & backwards.
An Mtroniks  Viper 10 or 15 is the type of thing you need:
http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp/ProductID/185/sid/2/MicroViper-marine10.htm
http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp/ProductID/591/sid/2/Viper-Marine15-Plug-and-Play.htm
(Easy to get in Britain, if not, what country are you in KWAKNZ?)

The rudder servo is a "standard" size servo eg.
Futaba S3003:
http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=FUTS3003&area=Servo

Hitec HS-311
http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=HITHS311&area=Servo
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:54:17 am »

(Easy to get in Britain, if not, what country are you in KWAKNZ?)

Would the heading give you a clue Martin " Re: SEAPORT TUG SAYS "HI" FROM NEW ZEALAND! " ?

I have a 6V 4aH SLA battery in mine and it gives plenty of speed and lasts for ages.

Make sure you Tx and Rx are the same make.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8411.0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:38:27 am »

Would the heading give you a clue Martin " Re: SEAPORT TUG SAYS "HI" FROM NEW ZEALAND! " ?

:embarrassed: .... never let facts or details get the way of a good story!  :embarrassed:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

KWAKNZ

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 07:36:15 pm »

cheers Martin, DickyD, Weeds. Have sourced the servo locally already, just need to get the esc sorted and have also found the batteries. So can't wait to start the project.

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 08:57:41 pm »

Hi KwakNZ,

I hope you have plenty of pleasure out of this little boat, converting and running her. There are plenty of us who enjoy these "toys" once they have been altered to suit our individual tastes, and with decent radio to control them. Mine will be out this Saturday evening at a Xmas night sail, correctly illuminated with navigation lights, towing a barge which is suitably decorated and lit for the festive season!

You may find your 6v 6ah battery a little large for the boat; most of us have gone for the 4ah version, slightly smaller and lighter that the 6ah one.

Best of luck with your conversion, let's see some Kiwi photos when she's done! Whilst in the RN I was lucky enough to spend some time in Wellington, I loved the place!

Danny

KWAKNZ

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 01:25:37 am »

That like a good deal "Weeds", will watch it.

tolnedra: yeah Wellington is a awesome city, really like the vibe and feel of that city. Yip will be cracking into changing it next week after pay day!  :-))

KWAKNZ

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 12:56:32 am »

Well... I have completely stripped the boat done, checked it in the bath for leaks (CLEARED). Now deciding on what paint job to do on it, to paint the hull etc, does it need to be sanded?

I have removed the water "SPURT" is it is written on the box (squirter), not my cup of tea you might say.

Now I'm also going to be sourcing the mech's this week too and got confused again..........

I wanted to change the rudder servo and change the motor servo too, but keep the original motor. Where I got confused was, do I need to change the radio gear? or can the ESC and rudder servo be attached to the original radio set?

KWAKNZ

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 01:14:14 am »

Also, if I HAD to change the radio gear would http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=190988090 do the job? kyosho perfex

KWAKNZ

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 06:04:45 am »

ok, I fixed my confusion, I purchased the Traxxas Radio gear. I was trying to be cheap! lol, but decided if I'm going to do this, I will do it the right way and do it all at the same time. Thanks guys. Will post updates as they happen.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 07:02:09 am »

hi there kwaknz. trade me is a good source for rc gear but be careful because as you probably know a lot of dealers sell there and some of the gear is no cheaper and in some cases more expensive that your local model shop.

KWAKNZ

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:41:04 am »

cheers hopeitfloats, yeah your right, some people are dodgy. But thats the risk sometimes you take. Yeah have been shopping around, but as it is in most cases in NZ, its who you know. My friend just gave me his business card on Thursday, he is a manager for a battery company now. SO... theres the source for the SLA :-))

KWAKNZ

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 02:08:17 am »

Well........... I'm going around in circles trying to decide what kind of paint scheme to paint it now.......... I have tried a few different styles and can't decide. Thought about going a modern style with that bright green all over, then decided to do deck green and rest of it red, but decided I don't like that after painting it. hmmm..... Ideas or examples?  %%

Weeds

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 03:22:35 am »

Well........... I'm going around in circles trying to decide what kind of paint scheme to paint it now.......... I have tried a few different styles and can't decide. Thought about going a modern style with that bright green all over, then decided to do deck green and rest of it red, but decided I don't like that after painting it. hmmm..... Ideas or examples?  %%

i like the red/black color scheme..

KWAKNZ

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 03:56:35 am »

Yeah, thats what me thinks WEEDS, leave the red base, paint the top half of the hull black, and the next bit, leave the superstructure white and tower red, hmm... now i have to get some black paint  :-))

craftysod

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 06:09:59 am »

Just look on the pages on this thread,should give you some idea,as people have painted them in so many ways,one might grab your attention
Mark

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 06:10:35 pm »

Check out these postings.

Loads of tugs here.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=125.0

KWAKNZ

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 09:46:35 am »

Hey people! Well Finally thought I better finish this off, so pulled out of storage. Purchased radio gear and rudder servo, hunting down a battery and ESC. Battery question, I have found this one, is this the right type?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Batteries/Rechargeable/Other/auction-265598984.htm

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 10:37:30 am »

Hi there again KwakNZ! Happy New Year, you had disappeared off the radar! Yes, that's exactly the battery that a lot of us in UK have used for our Dickie tugs, go for it!

Danny

KWAKNZ

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 02:06:51 am »

Nice, will do that, now, regarding ESC, does the battery format affect the type of ESC i should get? For example the difference between the orginal 9.6v compared to the battery i just listed above. Because I found this ESC and was wondering if it would work well with the orginal motor and that SLA battery? Cheers for all this help lads!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMMP7&P=ML OR
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Toys-models/Radio-control/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-264729079.htm

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 10:19:25 am »

That will work fine, I have a similar one in my Seaport.

Bit on the large size really, but rather to big than to small. :-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 23 queries.