Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my schooner - beer glassing  (Read 2817 times)

Anchorboy46

my schooner - beer glassing
« on: June 26, 2009, 02:30:12 am »

My schnooner always has beer in it...

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: fibre glassing my schooner
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 03:18:18 am »

Mine, too, Capt Daniels  :-)), but you may have to explain yourself to other, less worldly, members  {-) {-)

Peter.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:46:34 pm »

My schnooner always has beer in it...

One drinks sherry from a schooner, beer from a tankard don't ya know  :} :} :} :} :} :}

and never ever, ever use a straw
Don't Assume Check

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 08:18:21 pm »

%) Hi Anchorboy46
here in the west country of england our sherry is served in schooners, and Beer is served in sleevers, thats a glass without a handle, and should you ask why no handle its because the beer is at 14 degrees C and we like to taste the hops, and the word schooner has only one letter N
good to hear from Texas

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 12:25:22 am »

I don't know about the USA, but in Australia, a schooner is the equivalent of 15 fluid ounces, or three quarters of a pint - 425 ml in metric. It is a common way of buying beer in pubs.

Peter.

Damien

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 01:01:14 am »

flytier07,
I find the 6/10th ounce cloth great to work with I use it on the exterior of all my hulls and in the past fuselages as stated it can be worrysome on curves but i've been using it for 30yrs so have no problems now, Note i only ever use Polyester resin with 15-20 min pot life.
I can't imagine why anyone would use resin with a 24 hour cure time.

I don't know about the USA, but in Australia, a schooner is the equivalent of 15 fluid ounces, or three quarters of a pint - 425 ml in metric. It is a common way of buying beer in pubs.

Peter.

Peter perhaps Schooner is used in NSW  but no such thing in Vic. we call that size glass a Pot perhaps it's because of the nickname we have for beer p**s

Damien

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 01:20:30 am »

Damien, I've bought schooners in NSW, Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania, the "pot" is what we call a middy, the equivalent of a 10 ounce glass. Queenslanders also call that size a pot. Apparently Victorians have not discovered the schooner, or 15 ounce, glass, although some of the trendy inner city Melbourne pubs do sell them.

Have a look at this web site, and scroll down to "Beer Glass Sizes" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_beer

Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 02:33:53 am »

When I worked in Pubs in the NW of England and N Wales, a 'straight' beer glass (no dimples, no handle) was also called a schooner. There was also a schooner of sherry, which I think was a double sherry in size (i.e. 2/3 gill).
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Damien

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:51:48 am »

ROFLMAO just because it's on wiki does not make it so, anyone who logs into wiki can change it. A few trendy boutiques dosen't make it common knowledge, when i go to local pub for a feed the only thing larger than a pot is a jug for my diet cokes I hate beer with a passion had 1/2 a glass when i was 18 & puked drank Rum & cola or vermouth & cola until '94 then grog affected my tumor med's so no alcohol at all now.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 02:55:03 am »

As I said, Victorians haven't discovered the schooner, unlike the other states  O0

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 03:10:40 am »

O0 O0 O0...@ Harndorf...in the Adelaide hills [@ the German Arms Hotel] ...I asked for a schooner of DUB ....& was presented with a very smallish Vegimite sized glass >>:-(......[125 ml?]

So when I re ordered I asked for a large glass & used my left & right hands to express a large dimension  :embarrassed: ......so the young lady behind the bar repeated the positioning of her hands.......& I said    "yes please :-)) "

I was then presented with a 1.5 litre glass of DUB ....the glass was approx 450 mm high & very slender........similar to a British 'yard of ale'....tasted very nice %% but I needed two hands to hold it.....Derek :o

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 07:58:38 am »

I was then presented with a 1.5 litre glass of DUB ....the glass was approx 450 mm high & very slender.

Now that's a glass   :-)) , whatever it's called  O0

Hahndorf's a pretty place, isn't it, a small piece of Germany close to Adelaide.

We're getting a bit off topic here  %) , so to get back to the original post, the hull looks great flytier07  :-)) keep the pics coming.

Peter.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: my schooner - beer glassing
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 08:09:36 pm »

I mine in a pint pewter Can or a quart jack
Not the short measures you get in Aussy. Why In a club in Newcastle Aussy I even had the wine waiter drop a thermometer in it to check the temperature was correct!!!!!
because you can't drink it if it dosn't freeze your tastbuds..
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.