Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhemmers and their Pets  (Read 17844 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhemmers and their Pets
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »

Here's my best friend . He call Henry and he is 6 years old. He the biggest softy around and love food.

John

das boot

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 09:22:52 pm »

I'd put money on it Dicky, that he'd have YOU for lunch! He put me in hospital once, six stitches in my left hand...good job that was only a love bite.   :o
A fully grown* adult Black piranha is more than capable of removing your hand at the wrist...in one bite.

Rich

*(fully grown is around 26-30")

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 09:26:00 pm »

So why do you keep it as a pet then?

I don't understand the psychology.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 09:27:43 pm »

I'd put money on it Dicky, that he'd have YOU for lunch! He put me in hospital once, six stitches in my left hand...good job that was only a love bite.   :o
A fully grown* adult Black piranha is more than capable of removing your hand at the wrist...in one bite.

Rich

*(fully grown is around 26-30")

Right Rich so is this a similar thing to men having sports cars, medallions etc ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 10:51:24 pm »

Well here is my cats, all but one are rescue cats from different rescue centres around the North East.

The first is Megan then Molly (gets jealous my the wife gives me a cuddle) then the little fur ball Rosie and finally Shelley (the Boss)
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 07:15:02 pm »

This is my dog `headley` , he is about 14 now , he cant walk as he has CDRM , he has wheels.....

theres a video of him on the wheels here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuS-PO9JlmU

We also have mad 2 border collies and a crazy doberman

Chuffy

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 07:33:59 pm »

Where do sports cars and medallions come into it are they furry, do they bite, please expand.

andyn

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 07:53:22 pm »

Where do sports cars and medallions come into it are they furry, do they bite, please expand.

I think he was referring to why own something dangerous like that, well why does he own boats? Because he likes them and enjoys playing with them, question answered...

OMK

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 08:14:59 pm »

This is my dog `headley` , he is about 14 now , he cant walk...

Poor old Headley.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is CDRM?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2009, 08:21:18 pm »

This is my dog `headley` , he is about 14 now , he cant walk...

Poor old Headley.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is CDRM?

Hi Dude
CDRM stands for Chronic Degenerative Radiculomyelopathy and it mainly affects German shepherd dogs and other large breeds. It is basically a loss of limb mobility and many dogs unfortunately have to be put down because of the problem. They seem to feel no pain at all and if anything they are unaware of the changes that are happening to them.
There is something you can do however and that is to notice the early signs of the condition. You should notice your dog losing their ability to control their hind legs and when you do, try and give them more exercise. Taking them to a hydrotherapy pool can really help to strengthen up their muscles in those early stages and that can really help. There is hope but unfortunately sometimes there is no other option than to put the dog down.

OMK

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2009, 08:37:43 pm »

.. and..

Recently departed 'Pewter'.
Hey, Mr. Toes', sorry to hear that. Was obviously a crute little critter.
Your photo reminded me of something similar. Let me introduce you to Chippie...

http://www.dawnmist.demon.co.uk/caring%20for%20cats.htm

...about two-thirds down the page.

How did Dillon get to be rescued?

FLJ: you owe me 1 x carrot and another for breach of copyright.
(Neat gesture, dude. Cheers). ok2

das boot

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2009, 08:50:59 pm »

So why do you keep it as a pet then?

I don't understand the psychology.

Colin

I originally imported the BBF because:
(a) I wanted one as they were rare in the UK
b Because a fully grown adult Black piranha is a magnificent sight
(c) Because I could

When the BBF and Boris (I imported a pair of them, one for a friend in Wiltshire) arrived in the UK, they were the only two specimens in captivity in the UK (in private hands), although now there a few more dotted about the country. There were horrendously expensive to import privately, and even now a large specimen will carry a price tag of well over £300+. On top of that, there's the catcher's fee, the handling boat's fee, the import charges, carriage and licence fees, vets fees, airport handling costs and transport from airport to the final destination.

But as for the real reason as to why I wanted one....ask yourself this, why did you want a dog/cat/budgie/etc? You've just answered your question Colin...

(at the time I also had a eight strong shoal of Black Shouldered piranha, a Mauelli's piranha (very rare) a Serrasalmus Denticulatus (no English translation...again, very rare) and a huge Red Bellied piranha. The house was full of water....)

Rich

das boot

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2009, 09:00:21 pm »

Oh, and also a huge female Undulate triggerfish (balistapus undulatus)

She was a beautiful fish, but turned out to be so destructive as she grew...she wrecked two tanks, and in the end I had to donate her to the Sea Life Centre in Weymouth, where I believe she still is to this day.

Rich

OMK

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2009, 09:12:45 pm »

Thanks for that, Dicky. Chronic Degenerative Radiculomyelopathy is mouthful for sure. I wonder why it mostly effects German Shepherd dogs.
I was surprised at just how well Headley was whizzing around on two wheels. Apart form his obvious affliction he looks just as healthy as any other mutt. It must be a bit of a bummer whenever he sees a lamppost, or even a lady German Shepherd dog, but otherwise seems to be quite chipper.
It's *me* who needs the hydrotherapy pool.

andyn

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2009, 09:16:48 pm »

Alsatians have always had hip troubles, they were bred to stand how they do, with legs out backwards. Unfortunately this puts strain on their back legs and in the end quite a lot of them have hip troubles. A shame, they're lovely dogs.

One of my neighbours has 6 of them in an ex council house, along with a pomeranian, many canarys, a rooster and a few chickens...

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2009, 09:37:30 pm »

Although its more common for german shepherds to get CDRM there are lots of other breeds that get it as well ,  His dad was a cross between a rhodesion ridgeback and a german shepherd , his mum was a border collie , collies are one of the other breeds that tend to get CDRM as well , so he didnt have much luck with his parents at all,
i dont think i could cope with a bigger dog with it, i have to carry him round up and down stairs etc , no way i could carry a german shepherd over my shoulder!
he is quite happy though as it doesnt hurt at all , hes especialy happy since one of the collies is his 2 year old `girlfriend`...... ( much to the disgust of the male collie! and the doberman ),
Strangely as he cant move without his wheels at all now, he is the boss of the other male dogs.... they are scared of him! if he is in a mood and bites them , they run!
He has been on the wheels for about 2-3 years now, but hes having more problems with the front legs a bit now so not so quick, and he has stabilisers for the front!, hes doiing quite well since the vet told me to get him put down 3 years ago as there was no cure for him, and it would be too much hard work to look after!
He is kind of stubborn, pushy and spoilt now!, he barks for things he wants,  kind of like a baby you can tell what he wants quite easily , if its Layla the collie he howls.....till she lies on him!  , if he doesnt get what he wants....quickly!.... he throws things round, like tv controlers and cushions!

Pointy

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2009, 10:05:07 pm »

I'd have a retired Greyhound in a heartbeat if I could  <:(

This is where I spend most of my free time, walking, D.I.Ying and fundrasing

http://www.hershamhounds.org/homelesshounds/02.html

This is my favourite boy, he likes to jump up and place his front paws on your shoulders and stay that way, you can walk around with him and its like your having a waltz or something! He lost half his tail so he is able to wag his little stump extra fast!!!

Starlockadhesives, Headley is an incredible dog.

craftysod

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2009, 10:29:35 pm »

The lenghts that we as people go to for our pets,they are part of the family,you do get the bad sector who treat animals awfull.
But when i walk through the door,after a day at work or gone shopping,they are so pleased to see you.
I have lost 2 dogs through ill health,who i remember fondly.
But the pleasure i get after kissing her indoors hello,my mutt jumping up and wants attention

garston1

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2009, 11:36:41 pm »

I don't know what I'd do without our Ron

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2009, 11:42:26 pm »

A pic of my lad Bruno, sadly he had to be put to sleep just five weeks ago, he was 12, a good age for a shepherd, he was fit and healthy right up to the end, just a little weak on his back legs over the past 6 months or so, he suddenly collapsed and could'nt get back up..the vet diagnosed a spine problem, he was a big 'un! very tall and about 6 1/2 stone, very hard to have to let him go  <:(
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2009, 09:01:03 am »

Me and my constant companion Duke, all 9.5 stone of him.

Pointy

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »

He is stunning! (and I mean Duke  {-))

das boot

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2009, 06:58:45 pm »

I'm still trying to work out which is which....    :D

Rich

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2009, 08:28:37 pm »

....has he grown Richard? I think ours is getting up in that ballpark, feels that way when he puts his front paws on my shoulders when I come home from work, no wonder I feel like Fred Flintstone...and no comments about my car.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2009, 12:20:05 am »

He's a great looking dog, Richard. What do you feed him, one sheep carcase a day??  %)

Peter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.