Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhemmers and their Pets  (Read 17952 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhemmers and their Pets
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2009, 04:43:06 am »

The swallow's migration is an amazing feat, given their tiny size.

A sea bird, called the short tailed shearwater, but known locally as a muttonbird, breeds in huge colonies up to 11 million birds, in south eastern Australia, but mainly Tasmania. They nest in burrows, which they dig in soft sand. These birds, which weigh about 500 grams, and have a wingspan of about a metre, fly annually from Australia to the Arctic region, and back, a round trip of 30,000 kilometres. Many die along the way, and their bodies have been found in such places as Japan, the east coast of America, and the Aleutian Islands. We sometimes see dead ones washed up on our local beach, particularly if bad weather occurs as they pass by us. It's an incredible journey.

Peter.

Roger in France

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2009, 06:57:32 am »

I am not going to defend the bizarre even unacceptable eating habits of the French. I find some of the things they eat and their casual (even cruel) attitude to hunting still amazes and depresses me. However, two points:

The ritual eating as described with heads under cloths is a truly bizarre practise of a very, very few wealthy folk who have nothing better to do with their money than seek out strange, exclusive experiences. I do not think it is illegal, I understand the covering is to hide the slobbering, ravaging eating which permits the prey to be consumed.

Veal in France is produced under a totally different regime to the UK. There are no veal crates and no housed feeding with buckets of milk. Calves run with the herd to a much older age and eat naturally, consequently the joints of meat are larger and very succulent. I eat veal at least once each week. Veal liver produced from these carcasses is superb.

On the stories of swallows, I must tell you that at this very moment (07:00 GMT) I have swallows inches above my head using our TV mast as a launch pad for insect hunting. Through my open sky light I can see and hear them, wonderful creatures. I frequently have the great privilege of watching them drink from my swimming pool as I float only half a meter away.

We also have a large colony of swifts which nest under the eaves of our market hall.

Roger in France

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2009, 12:32:56 pm »

Oh swallows, it was hard to tell from your picture with nothing else as a reference, I thought they were baby owls. Speaking of amazing migration habits, I still find it funny that the residents of Thompson Manitoba get upset when polar bears stroll through their town, Hmm seems to me if for no other reason than financial gain ( a nickel Mine ) you erect a town site right in the path of these fantastic creatures which have been doing the same route for ages, your going to complain %%. Anyway, the nickel mine won't last forever, but hopefully the polar bears will O0. Rant over,
Robert

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2009, 01:01:39 pm »

Oh swallows, it was hard to tell from your picture with nothing else as a reference, I thought they were baby owls. Speaking of amazing migration habits, I still find it funny that the residents of Thompson Manitoba get upset when polar bears stroll through their town, Hmm seems to me if for no other reason than financial gain ( a nickel Mine ) you erect a town site right in the path of these fantastic creatures which have been doing the same route for ages, your going to complain %%. Anyway, the nickel mine won't last forever, but hopefully the polar bears will O0. Rant over,
Robert

I agree completely Robert. Humans settle in wild animal held territory then complain when the wild animals are there. We've seen bears and cougars, and I've just heard of Lynxes, repopulating our area. My neighbour at the bottom of my farm saw a bear come across my south hay field and into her back yard a couple of weeks ago. She got some good photos of it. Live and let live I say.

John

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2009, 07:31:36 pm »

How true John, haven't forgotten about you mate, busy with the summer weekends here. And the weather has been great, considering, shhh it may change. Off to Weymouth next weekend.

Robert

Wasyl

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2009, 08:22:10 pm »

Robert
To-Wit-To-Woooooooo,Owls indeed,I would have thought,the mud nest would have been a dead giveaway, {-)

Wullie
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.