Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Banksy  (Read 5220 times)

Garabaldy

Banksy
« on: December 03, 2008, 10:07:19 pm »

After reading another thread about vandalism i thought id put a post up about this guy.  What does everyone think he is - artist or criminal?

For those of you who haven't heard of him heres his wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy

I have been a fan for a long time.  He brings up some interesting points.  Make your minds up for yourselfs though.  Heres some pics;

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Banksy
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:44:02 pm »

Without a doubt an artist and social commentator. Beats mindless tags and worthless ***rubbish*** we have to suffer.
..well can you land on this?

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 08:25:36 am »

Sorry guys but he can only be a criminal. There is no doubt that he has talent but if he is painting on other people's walls without permission, that is criminal damage. (That is the law of the land), and as such his actions are criminal.

Barry

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

undecided........he certainly brightens up otherwise very shabby looking buildings, and his art form is exceedingly good, but..................I sit on the fence on this one?? {:-{
and for somewone who usually has very strong and finite views about life in general.............this is something very new %) :D

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:08:54 am »

Sorry guys but he can only be a criminal. There is no doubt that he has talent but if he is painting on other people's walls without permission, that is criminal damage. (That is the law of the land), and as such his actions are criminal.

Barry
Another example of the law being an "xxx". This edit is wrong, it refers to an animal not the Americanisn for posterior. The donkey-like creature, and should be quoted correctly.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:11:54 am »

I think I'd take exception to somebody painting something on my wall, whether other people considered it "artistic" or not!

Colin

Garabaldy

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 10:18:05 am »

There is no doubt about it being criminal on paper but the guy still raises some interesting points.

The guy has talent.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 10:26:29 am »

Some people would consider this as offensive because of it`s religous content and violence depicted.  The various para-military depictions on Northern Irish buildings have a similar message. Both these were paid for, or at least permitted by, the owners of the buildings. We all have to look at them.  I find modern graffiti trashy and a symbol of garish mindless yob S**T , a sub culture for the "I`ve got nothing to do" eedjits.  Just my opinion of course >:-o

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 10:32:51 am »

This is a simple argument to solve.....

How many of you would like to arrive home to find he had painted a mural on your house wall??

IT HAS TO BE A CRIME..

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 10:47:11 am »

In Bristol, where I used to live, a Banksy may even add to the property value. They are certaily cherished by most homeowners who have one. They are local attractions
This is not a facetious comment.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 10:55:20 am »

If you mean Banksy, I`d be delighted. If it was by someone that usually does trains and railway sidings and parapets I have the law on them {-) knowing full well  that means I`d have to scrub it off myself >>:-( because if caught the perpetrator would probably get kid glove treatment instead of  <*<

garston1

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 11:03:11 am »

There's a Banksy of a rat on a disused pub in Liverpool city centre, the pub is probably worth a couple of hundred thousand but now it's worth in excess of a million!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 11:11:29 am »

Hi TT and others interested, I have a related story to tell.  My son in laws brother lived very near the house in Bristol that was put up for sale based on the Banksy mural that was on it.  Some locals decided to deface it  for whatever reason, probably best known to themselves, when they found out the house was up for sale for £100K

Son-in-laws brother got worried about this vandalism as he owned a Banksy picture in a frame on his living room wall. (Banksy started out doing paintings which he sold)  I think he had had his leg pulled a lot about it as he had paid £500.00 for it about 10+ years ago. This was a lot for a person to pay on a basic sort of salary,  but he said he liked it and that was that.

So he contacted one of the big Auction houses in London and a guy came down hot foot to see it and took it back with him as the owner did not fancy a break-in if the local nasties heard about it.

So it went to auction just over a year ago and fetched £64,000.00.  A nice little investment I hear you say,  but I know my son in law's brother, he is not a materialistic type person and he would rather have had it still hanging on his wall.  He is just an ordinary guy in an ordinary terrace house but some things can be a liability.

Anyway he and his partner used the money to fund a move to Sheffield, where he now lives and works.
Regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 11:53:54 am »

The guy has talent.

So did Hitler and Stalin!  ok2

nhp651

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 12:06:55 pm »

I suppose they did, Colin. %)
but I don't think Banksey has any aspirations about being a world dictator %% %%
as for coming home to one of banksey's paintings on my wall, as long as it was of a seascaoe scene, i'd be like a pig in muck. {-) {-) {-)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 01:09:09 pm »

Banksey is obviously and artist of much talent both with a brush and his social political statement. However, that doesn't give him, or anyway else, the right to paint someone else's walls no matter how much better they may look. Whatever happened to asking permission first? Maybe he should paint a social statement in that regard. I think it would be frowned upon if I went to paint some one's boat, without permission, if I wanted to make a statement or felt the other person's boat would look better. No different with any other wall or structure.

John

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 01:26:12 pm »

The guy has talent.

So did Hitler and Stalin!  ok2
   Wasn't it Dr Goebbels who said " When I hear the word  `art` I reach for my pistol" .

Garabaldy

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 01:29:10 pm »

i have actually read somewhere it was rumoured that a house with a banksy piece on the side of it was sold in an ART GALLery auction in London somewhere.....  Despite claims he does not sell any of his work (says on his website).  He has snuck his own artworks in famous gallarys which went unnoticed for months, weeks and in the end the gallerys ended up keeping them.  his websites worth a look http://www.banksy.co.uk/menu.html.  like barrie says graffitti is a crime but our govournment comits crime every day only difference is they get away with it.

Here are some of his drawings.  Controversial.  Entertaining.  Throught provoking.

This is one of my personal faves

[img]http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/images/landscapes/kissingcoppers3.jpg[/img

Heres a link to the visit bristol site http://visitbristol.co.uk/site/banksy-graffiti-thekla-p386703

admitadly i would be unhappy if some one painted my wall without asking me first.  But history shows that some times laws need to be broken to to improve a corrupt society.  An extereme example of this has to be Nelson Mandela.  He was put to prison for 20 years as he was considered a terrorists.  Now obviously this is the other end of the scale.  I just think this world has some serious issues and this man has a creative and effective way of getting people to think.  Every time theres vandalism everyone screams CCTV cameras.  Does anyone want to live in a country where we are constantly under survelance?  Of course not.  Oh wait, its too late for that we already are.  

barryfoote

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 03:35:04 pm »

How on earth did we get from a Graffitti artist to Nelson Mandela? and try to compare the two. This discussion has really become ridiculous....That's me done..

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 04:06:46 pm »

The original question was whether this bloke is an artist or a criminal.

He's both.

There's a corner of my soul which is forever in 1967 and every time I see anything like Banksy's clever visual satire I want to punch the air and say "Yeah!! That's right, dude!"

.......and yet spraying paint onto the property of other people without permission is criminal damage.

It's a question of balance, and you won't get that from the Right-wing press or the Beeb (for opposite reasons). The routine "tagging" of property with stolen aerosol cans by mindless knuckle-draggers is tedious and repellent. It shows no imagination, talent or intelligence. I'm with Footski and many others about the depths to which society has sunk if it can tolerate this level of crass idiocy. What next? A TV game show where you vote for the most ugly and brainless twerp to wield a can in THIS WEEK's  FANTASTIC SHOW?? Be still, my beating heart...........

No - Banksy is a true original, even if he's got an eye to the main chance these days. Just as long as he doesn't choose my  house to paint.......

FLJ aka NIMBY

garston1

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 04:23:04 pm »

I'd love him to come around to our house and throw a bit of paint on....and maybe some new kitchen handles wouldn't come amiss.....A couple of floorboards in the bedroom...etc etc :-))

Garabaldy

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 06:22:02 pm »

i am very guilty of going off on tangents.  Sorry.

Still its interesting to hear others thoughts on the situation.  In the eyes of the law hes a criminal.  In the eyes of some hes an artist.

Heres what i think.  He is commiting crimes by doing these paintings on other peoples wallls.  No argument.  But they are very good pieces with some interesting issues being brought up in them.  I dont want anyone thinking im in support of committing crimes and being generally bad.  Im just open minded, looking at things thing from all angles. 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 06:47:44 pm »

He's certainly talented, but couldn't he exercise that talent without resorting to what he does?

craftysod

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 07:13:45 pm »

He's beaten them mindless morons who spray rubbish onto walls,very artistic,and talented,but should have permission first.
He can paint this crappy block of flats i live in,but some imbecile will still come along and deface it

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 12:19:34 pm »

Well I find nothing wrong with any of the paintings,
provided he had permission to do so, if not he should
receive the full brunt of the law as he is defacing someone
else's property........

But if done correctly more power to him,
like these examples in Sheffield.........

These are painted by artists who have been given permission
and in fact win prizes at the yearly festival.......

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.