Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Honda to quit F1  (Read 4484 times)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Honda to quit F1
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:02:37 am »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7766092.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/7766299.stm

Will anyone notice?...

I wonder what Eddie Jordan is doing these days?..  %)

.. or Jackie Stewart?...  :-))

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Re: Honda to quit F1
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:13:30 am »

.. or Paul Stoddart...  :D

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 12:30:50 pm »

toes,

It's formula 1 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

who really cares.................... ;D ;D

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:31:32 pm »

I don't think they will be the last!
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

Hagar

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 01:39:30 pm »

.....Or John Surtees.... ok2

Once Barny Berny gets his way and he turns F1 Into formula Ekelscake, I think a lot of others will give it up to.
And if its not the teams that go, It will probably be the public.

Even the mrs.,(a self confessed petrol head), said she cant be bothered to watch if the changes go through.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 01:53:28 pm »

There has been a lot of talk about saving money in F1, one I heard was all the teams using the same engines in a couple of years!
What other changes are happening next year.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Del-boy1958

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 02:06:08 pm »

Hi Guys
Bet Button wished he had stayed at williams rather than Bar Humbug....Thank god for Lewis

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 04:34:27 pm »

I also read in the paper that shall not be named that the great Anglophile Alonso says he may quit if the "one size fits all" engine is introduced. As far as being a procession goes, surely that arrived because of "near parity" between the cars and the design of circuits that inhibit overtaking. Too many regulations. F1 is supposed to be "the top"..so why hamstring the teams to level them all down? Cut out the external aerodynamics and let the rest loose. A free choice of tyre manufacturer would be a start. Size of fuel tank to be up to the car maker. I seem to recall that Jim Clark (and other Brits) knocked the spots off bigger cars because of the design genius of people like Colin Chapman, and it made for great racing. Graham Hill drove a gas-turbine F! car, Stirling Moss (I think) drove the Ferguson 4 wheel drive F1 car, Jackie Stewart had his 6 wheeled jobbie. So where is the incentive for real innovation now? With each car being basically a clone of another no wonder things have got boring....and will become even more so if all the cars are obliged to fit 1000cc Ford side-valve engines. Let the teams loose to innovate and bring back F1 proper. So says me. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

das boot

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 05:31:22 pm »

Hi Guys
Bet Button wished he had stayed at williams rather than Bar Humbug....Thank god for Lewis

Thank God for MotoGP....

Rich

Cargo

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 06:12:20 pm »

...Anglophile Alonso says he may quit if the "one size fits all" engine is introduced. 

So lets hope that it happens  O0  <*<  <*<

hopeitfloats

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 09:37:47 am »

A1 racing works well with all cars being the same.  the trouble with f1 at the moment is that only the top teams can afford the 'better cars/drivers'.  well that and the tracks being poorly designed.

nhp651

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 09:50:02 am »

there's one snag to your theory that ALL the top teams win, hopeitfloats.
last season, Honda spent over 25million MORE than ferarri in their development and running..............and much of the time failed to finish..............I'd have been more than a little upset if I were the sponsors.......who don't even get their name or advertising on the car with this very lack lusta showing >>:-( >>:-(

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 10:10:07 am »

It will be sad to see Honda leave.
I seem to remember them being very dominant back in the 80s.

Same way it was sad to see Jordan go.

I do enjoy watching A1. Mostly the drivers make mistakes that others can capitalise on. So the result is less predictable, there also seems to be more spills. The speeds may be lower, and the budgets, but it is entertaining.

With F1 you can be predictive, and by mid season you can decide if it is worth watching the other events.
The last cuple of seasons have been nail biters, with things running until the nd of the season. But these are almost exceiptional occurances in the more recent years of F1.

Another problem it that winning seems to be everything. So winning by any means is accepted. And this is what has been the real spoiler of F1 for me. Ever since a certain driver ran another off the track to ensure the championship, it has seemed that anything goes.

just my 2 cents, from a former F1 fan, who now does not really bother about it.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

hopeitfloats

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 10:14:43 am »

thats why i said ONLY the top teams win. not ALL the top teams win.  :-)) still in every theory there will be the odd exception  :-) either way its a shame to see them go

Hagar

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 02:40:58 pm »

Bring back the national racing colours I say!

ronkh

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 04:22:02 pm »

We had a "pep" talk at work Thursday, after the FOTA meeting regarding bringing costs down.
Obviously, not all can be implemented in time for next year, but some that will really affect quite a few of us are a cut on the wind-tunnel, I think from 24/7 (I hate that Americanism) down to about 60 hours a week, no testing of cars on track in 2009/10, personnel to be cut down track-side, (Honda were one of the worst culprits, paying top tickets for air-flights and hotels even for the cleaners, and most of them [track-side, cleaners and other personnel] were not needed there, just "jollys").
Computer usage cut-down, less "screen watchers" at track-side, gear boxes to last four races as well as engines, engines to be down to 1800c/c turbo's.  Boxes to be made outside. Our own gearbox workers are then out of work. Some of this is subject to agreement, etc, but after Honda? Who knows?
The list goes on but interestingly, there was no mention of a cut in drivers salarys/wages/lets get what we can and as much of it and sod the ones who make the cars, being bought up.
Jenson was on £8million a year. Kimi is/was on £25million a year and our little star (bless him), is only on £10million. These are just "basic wages" so if anyone feels sorry for them, dont!
What I cant understand is all of our perverted leader Mad Max's thinking. He wants to bring costs down, which is fine, but why does he want to get rid of certain things in F1? Not everyone is a petrol head nor does everyone here follow the sport. A lot of us simply go to get a wage, pay the mortgage, bills, treats, holidays and just happen to work in what a lot of people presume to be a top wage-paying job with a lot of perks. Getting rid of these jobs means more out of work, more benefits to be paid, more hardship and unemployment. Is this what he means by acceptable levels of costs in F1? Chuck out what he does'nt agree with and put us on the scarpheap?
Yes, for the lucky few, it is a top dollar job. For the majority, see the wage bit above. We do get some perks but they would be more suited for bobble hat types. Posters, caps, photo boxes, "free membership of the team" ( big b#oody deal, we work here), calenders and, once a year, a ticket to Silverstone and Goodwood. Again, great if a bobble-hat or a follower. I am not so mine goes to a friend or family member. Usually my son.
There is also the thing of companies outside of F1 who rely on secondary work. Be it the corner shop for newspapers/snacks etc, the sub-contractor (we are now going to invest in even more machinery to claw that work back so it's them stuffed - will affect them next year), the temp workers both in office and shop floor - they will be stopped - anyone else you would care to mention? There are a lot of people directly/indirectly who will be hurt by the downturn. Not just us "lucky" few thousands who just have a slightly more exciting sounding title of work.
I doubt if I could get another job in this day and age what with the current situation here and outside yet just a short while back, I felt extremely lucky to get out of aircraft engineering, both because I was on the military side of that (cutbacks), because they have felt the pinch for quite a few years and my age is also against me now so I will have to hope that F1 does not go any further down.
I can assure you that there are quite a few who are worried over their jobs. These being the ones who have started in the past couple of years, and those who were approached/poached before this hoo ha kicked off. At the time of my starting in F1, I was poached and felt rather pleased and flattered. Would I be so now?

Ron.

Hagar

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 04:46:09 pm »

After reading that, Ron, I could find my self saying some thing like:

Why dont all the teams get together and say to mr's Mosley and Ekelscake Get stuffed.
Sounds a bit like shoting yourselv in the foot but Who is it that gets the biggest piece of pie when all the income is shared out? I bet they are right at the front of the que!
A good old fashioned "vote of no confidence" might just get them to rethink things abit...

In the end it will come down to the paying public. Loss of interest = loss of income = cancelled due to lack of ticket sales. TV will pull the plug too.
Circus the gretest show on earth. They say F1 is a circus, If they take away the Lions, who wants to watch?

For the sake of the sport, I couldn't give a rats rear end. But for the sake of those, like yourself, I hopr that things work out and certain people se the light.

craftysod

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 04:56:50 pm »

A very good post Ron,you have made people aware the way it is going,someones going to lose their jobs.
Which at the momemt is the last thing anyone needs,as regards Ian m post,who is going to run the circus if they get rid of the dwarf and the spankey nazi bloke,the teams are in competition with eachother,so another war will spark
Mark

Hagar

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 05:46:33 pm »

A very good post Ron,you have made people aware the way it is going,someones going to lose their jobs.
Which at the momemt is the last thing anyone needs,as regards Ian m post,who is going to run the circus if they get rid of the dwarf and the spankey nazi bloke,the teams are in competition with eachother,so another war will spark
Mark

so you feel its a case of better the Devil you know.....
Apart from which, even though spanky and barny might think they are imortal, they are not, and lets face it Barny aint no teenager is he....

I always thought that Sato would be the end of Honda in F1, But if the new Gear box rule was in action he might of actually had a chance.........na only joking. {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 06:28:29 pm »

It will be sad to see Honda leave.
I seem to remember them being very dominant back in the 80s.

Same way it was sad to see Jordan go.

I do enjoy watching A1. Mostly the drivers make mistakes that others can capitalise on. So the result is less predictable, there also seems to be more spills. The speeds may be lower, and the budgets, but it is entertaining.

With F1 you can be predictive, and by mid season you can decide if it is worth watching the other events.
The last cuple of seasons have been nail biters, with things running until the nd of the season. But these are almost exceiptional occurances in the more recent years of F1.

Another problem it that winning seems to be everything. So winning by any means is accepted. And this is what has been the real spoiler of F1 for me. Ever since a certain driver ran another off the track to ensure the championship, it has seemed that anything goes.

just my 2 cents, from a former F1 fan, who now does not really bother about it.
They were pretty hot in the '60s as well.....but you are too young to remember that!. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.