Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seabex  (Read 8322 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Seabex
« on: December 06, 2008, 12:35:04 am »

I've been in discussion with Cos918 about the Graupner Seabex. I suggested I had some different ways of handling the kit. I thought it may be a good idea to post the pics here as there may be others who are interested in build. Hence the pics attached.
  Happy to answer any questions that may come up on how I handled my build.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Seabex
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

more pics

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 02:31:44 am »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 02:29:10 pm »

hi john,
nace looking model, whats the handelling like using those pods (if thats what they're called)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 02:34:52 pm »

hi john . You have done a nice build on her. I like the way you have done your access hatches , i might do mine like that when i get round to building her.  on your model does the crane work

john

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 03:50:41 pm »

hi john . You have done a nice build on her. I like the way you have done your access hatches , i might do mine like that when i get round to building her.  on your model does the crane work

john

Thanks, glad you find the way I did her interesting. No the crane doesn't work......yet. I built it to open it up and install motors, but haven't yet got around to it. When I built her, about 1990, there wasn't much available, at a reasonable price, in radios with more than 4 channels. The crane just about takes that up itself. Since then technology  has changed and I have a Nautical Commander that can do the job. When time permits I fully intend on going back and powering the crane.

John

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 03:53:21 pm »

Hi John,

On the front thrusters, did you use the extension pieces that Graupner charge the earth for, or did you make up your own?

I have a friend who has an untouched kit, and it is the cost of the thrusters that is putting him off starting the build. Anything to reduce the cost might get him moving on it.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 03:55:27 pm »

hi john,
nace looking model, whats the handelling like using those pods (if thats what they're called)

Thanks very much. I found the handling good. I've heard of handling problems with earlier versions of this model in as much as there is too much free play in the "pods". However, Graupner must have changed things because this one runs straight and true either pushing or pulling. I did find that if go too fast with her I get a moon pool wave (bow wave in the moon pool) that comes over the aft deck. Forces me to keep it down to a scale speed, which isn't bad anyway..

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 04:00:25 pm »

Hi John,

On the front thrusters, did you use the extension pieces that Graupner charge the earth for, or did you make up your own?

I have a friend who has an untouched kit, and it is the cost of the thrusters that is putting him off starting the build. Anything to reduce the cost might get him moving on it.

John

I used Graupner's complete system, however, there is a caveat to it. I got the kit, complete, from a chap who thought the task of building it was too great, so he hadn't touched it. The bonus was he had already bought all the drive systems to go with it. As it was I got the whole kit a  drastically  reduced price compared to the Graupner list price.
  When I got the kit one drive system was missing its Kort nozzle. I tried buying one from Graupner, but they wanted me to buy the whole drive system........fat chance. Instead I made my own Kort nozzle by turning down a piece of ABS drain pipe.
  I agree, Graupner's drives are nice but very expensive.

John

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 04:08:35 pm »

Thanks for that John.

I agree, Graupner's drives are nice but very expensive

I think that is why so few are eventually built. He bought it as an unstarted project, but now he has found out how much the drive system is (more than he paid for the kit and all the fitings) he has had second thoughts.

Maybe this will be one of those kits that get bought and resold and never ever gets finished.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 04:13:52 pm »

Thanks for that John.

I agree, Graupner's drives are nice but very expensive

I think that is why so few are eventually built. He bought it as an unstarted project, but now he has found out how much the drive system is (more than he paid for the kit and all the fitings) he has had second thoughts.

Maybe this will be one of those kits that get bought and resold and never ever gets finished.

John

Has he thought of just putting in a standard twin prop drive system with a bow thruster? The azimuthing drives are neat, but in a model I find I don't often use them to full advantage and certainly not what they were intended for. Gets his boat running at a moderate cost.

John

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 10:39:11 pm »

John,

He has two of the standard thrusters for the stern (I gave him a new one a while back, and he got another second hand), and I have told him he could use a couple of washer pumps to give the bow manouverability (about £6 each), but like most of us like to do, he wanted to fit the original hardware.

I will let him cogitate a while longer and come up with the suggestion again. The choice has to be his.

I don't think it is the cost of the units themselves, they can be picked up occasionally fairly cheaply, but the cost of the little special extenders (if they are still available) that is sticking in his throat.

I suppose if I put my mind to it, I could make a couple for him. If Graupner can do it, I am sure I can come up with something.

Thanks anyway.

John

Garabaldy

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 10:47:01 pm »

i bet she looks great in a heavy sea.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 03:07:40 am »

i bet she looks great in a heavy sea.

Yeh, she does do well. I had it a a small local boat show a couple of weeks ago. A chap landed one of those new Eflite MCX  R/C helicopters on the fore deck perfectly. Now if I can only make one of those look like a Sea King.

John

Garabaldy

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 04:41:55 am »

ir a super puma  :-))

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:45:09 am »

ir a super puma  :-))

That'll work too. :-)

John

Graham Lane

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 05:24:56 pm »

That's all useful stuff.  Much of which I can build into mine.  All photos downloaded for future reference, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.