Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TID Tug  (Read 2940 times)

military mike

TID Tug
« on: December 07, 2008, 01:45:53 pm »

Hi all.
This will be my first model boat. I ordered a TID hull from Kingston Mouldings and very helpful they were, answering a lot of my questions.
Now please help,
I want to build this tug to represent a boat during ww2, Does anybody know what colour  it was painted? The hull would be grey, but was it grey under the water line.? Were the decks grey or green? The wheel house was it painted or was it kept stained wood? And was it armed for defence like the  ST tugboat in America? If it was armed, where on the tug was the machine guns positioned.
I look forward to your replies and will keep you informed about the build.  Mike.

Garabaldy

Re: TID Tug
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:20:15 pm »

if you do a search on this forum for tid tug or google it you should find quite alot of photgraphs of models and a few of the real ones.

farrow

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:31:19 pm »

All tugs, be it empires or tids if transfered to Admiralty Dkyd or harbour work such as Royal Naval Armament Department or Captain of the Dockyard Department where immediately painted in the departments colours. Those attached to actual armed services units stayed grey as those to the coastal department which was civilian crews which where stationed at places like Greenock to cover convoy gatherings, departures and arrivals. Those given to individual towing firms for use of I am unsure of their colour arrangements, but probably where repainted in the firms colour. A good book to get info on tugs which went into government service is "Fifty Years of Naval Tugs by Bill Hannan, a man legendary in his time as a ship handler and all ship pilot in Devonport Dkyd. If you go for a Admiralty department send me a email and I may be able to help you, plus I still know a couple of people who were about then.

military mike

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 09:30:52 pm »

Thanks for the helpful information,have been looking through the forums and found some of the pictures of the tug,mostly in civilian going to have a look for a copy of the book. Will keep you informed. Thanks Mike

farrow

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:47:56 pm »

Hi Mike ,
I hope Santa brought you wanted and I wish you a happy and prosperous New Year to come. In regards to TID's , I do not know what photo's you have, but if you go to to this site "riverman.gotdns.com/gallery/index/php. There are three good and informative photos on No's 3, 52 and 172. 52 is close up in colour in Portsmouth, but not under PAS or CD tugs colours, also 3 looks as she was brand new under the RN.
All the best,
David

farrow

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:38:59 pm »

I found this interesting photo of a PLA tug the Brent, I thought that it may be of interest to some as we only seem to see ex Admiralty versions.

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 11:29:59 pm »

Thought it was the one moored up in Maldon
http://www.btinternet.com/~a.esplen/Maldonimages/MaldonPic20.html

Stavros

farrow

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 06:48:43 pm »

Yeah I believe she is, I knew the fellah who bought her first of PLA, in fact I remember seeing all the PLA TID's tied up on a bouy in the Thames when they were finished with with and waiting to be sold. I believe he changed her prop after he bought her for a different pitch one and she went faster, I believe she had a cast iron one when he bought her.
Any way all the best,
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 19 queries.