Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few newbie questions on recommended books  (Read 3405 times)

mogogear

A few newbie questions on recommended books
« on: December 08, 2008, 01:07:44 am »

As I am brand new to ship building , I would like to know is there a "best  of" recommended model-building books from the group? I have my plans and noticed  it has solid bulkheads. So I assume I will go with plank on frame and then fiberglass over . There is no keel shown in the plans - and this puzzles me on how to hold these building blocks in place as I add the hull.

I am a little unsure how to arrange the bulkheads on my build board ( if that is what you call it :embarrassed:) ? Do I make them taller than called for so the extra edge can be clamped  in place and then cut off later?  Just to make my first build as challenging as I can it is the Turbinia from Charles Sells(Traplet ME3355) So no mast and rigging but some fun to be had with the aft end and prop shafts.....

Did I mention that I am dreaming of steam turbine power if I can?

So thanks for your recommendations- Please note that if there are any good "picture" illustrated guides that is a real plus...

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: A few newbie questions on recommended books
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:41:25 am »

Have a look at Traplet publishing. https://shop.traplet.com/browse.aspx?c=4433

They have a sale on at the moment.

They have a wide range of books on marine modelling. they also have two workshop DVD
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:53:32 am »

If the vessel has no keel, it will probably be best to build it "upside down".

I would draw a horizontal line on the plan, just higher than the tallest bulkhead. Extend the bulkheads to this line and cut them out with a "flat top".

Transfer the line to the building board and position the frames upside down, using blocks to hold them vertical, then plank the hull.

Once it's done, you can turn it over and cut the extensions off the frames.

Hope this makes sense.

Rick

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 10:55:54 am »

Also

Take a look at some of the masterclasses on here.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=124.0
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mogogear

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 05:59:34 pm »

Have a look at Traplet publishing. https://shop.traplet.com/browse.aspx?c=4433

They have a sale on at the moment.

They have a wide range of books on marine modelling. they also have two workshop DVD

Thank you Tigerx2-

mogogear

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:05:45 pm »

If the vessel has no keel, it will probably be best to build it "upside down".

I would draw a horizontal line on the plan, just higher than the tallest bulkhead. Extend the bulkheads to this line and cut them out with a "flat top".

Transfer the line to the building board and position the frames upside down, using blocks to hold them vertical, then plank the hull.

Once it's done, you can turn it over and cut the extensions off the frames.

Hope this makes sense.

Rick

Yep -it makes sense... I figured it would evolve upside down... and lengthening the bulkheads to compensate for the area to be clamped to assure perpendicular and stability was suspected. The line idea is the kind of tip I needed. I am pretty good on common sense and can plan things in my head fairly well. I am just hoping to avoid one or two major gaff's !! The rest just help you learn lessons better!!

I am buying a book by a fellow named Gorman that seems to lay out some basic fundamentals. I accept all your pet favorite books , sites and tutorials- Thanks for the replies all!!

mogogear

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:57:59 pm »

" using blocks to hold them vertical," .....Rick

This is all good Rick, but a small problem is in my logic..

Do you affix the "holding blocks" to the build board with screws or glue- like a rubber cement.. so it can be removed easily and a second part to my question is - how do you affix the bulk heads between the blocks? By just the sheer clamping effect of the blocks or should a small amount of weak glue be used? screws ..I am unsure here.

I see myself getting the hull all planked and then needing to turn it into a aircraft carrier since the build board won't release  :embarrassed: ... So help me with this bit of foresight please!!

Thanks again

Cheers

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 07:28:58 pm »

well Mogogear

I fear you may have not read or looked at the photographs for the Cervia tug build? or the 63 ft Whaleback of the Spashett build??

due to the fact that you may have been put off by the sections heading where it says build masterclass - where these builds mentioned above are aimed at everyone to help everyone (especially newcomers) to the hobb with the building of hulls and models.

If you read either the Cervia build etc., you may find some of your questions answered either in written word or pictures.

Maybe it is times for the moderators to retitle the masterclass builds to something like
Tutorial builds - aye

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

mogogear

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 10:24:13 pm »

Thanks John( Bluebird)

I did read your very nicely detailed Fairey Swordsmen build!! Printed it off and read it from front to back. And then went back and read it on line to coordinate it with your pictures. You have the patience of Job!! But I will read the ones that you mentioned.. for the "set up" specifics I am seeking.

I will assume that some of my stupidity( %%) will seep in to the build , that will just happen. I really want to make sure I get the thing set up correctly to give myself the best chance at a decent outcome.

I am probably being too A.R. about getting my understanding of the initial phase of the process--- it's my way--

Thanks for the others and your advice Bluebird!

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 11:49:27 pm »

Yes, Mogogear, using good square timber, screw the blocks to the frames, then screw the frames/blocks to the building board, ensusing a) they are square and vertical; and b) you screw them from the underside of the board, otherwise when it is planked you won't be able to get it off!

Rick

mogogear

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 12:12:27 am »

Thanks  Rick.. that is a good brief clarification

mogogear

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 01:32:44 am »

Bluebird!! WOW-
 I have to admit I was put off by the "MASTER CLASS designation" a little and hadn't looked deep enough.. You have given the absolute basics I was looking for and hadn't found addressed in over 15 books I browsed through!!

So imagine me bowing down and singing your praises!! O0 :-))

I am actually printing the Cervia build right now...34 pages !! :o Would have been 75 if the photos would have printed!!

The build board set up and all the layout intricacies were invaluable-- Thank you so much. 

I am on my way to at least knowing how to begin.

I have plans

Photocopies of the parts I need

Tracing paper and transfer paper and stylus

Build board construction will commence this week

Buy appropriate wood for frames and securing blocks soon

and then my first build from plans will start... on the Turbinia...  :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.