Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/8 scale Fairey Huntsman  (Read 87065 times)

Ramon

Re: 1/8 scale Fairey Huntsman
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2009, 10:17:01 am »

Ha ha don't look now but you are being watched Mr Fid.

Nice try Martin however I'm now back on the Huntsman this time hopefully without further distraction so it won't be long now.

Currently work is on the incidentals so I'm just waiting until all these 'tarting up' bits are done then I'll post a couple of pics before the painting starts.

Regards - Ramon

Ramon

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2009, 10:29:16 pm »

Hi everyone

Well at last I can say it's finished :-) well apart from the paint that is.

I have finished off the exhaust system and used an aerosol canister for the expansion chamber - should keep everything smelling nice if nothing else. I shall cable tie the silicone on final fitting out

I finished the screen today. Despite the ply templates I still needed another card one from it and still had to fine trim the final plastic ones. It's epoxied on but held in position by the beading at the front and those four 8ba screws down the sides. They screw into tight holes in the sides and were cut off flush after.

The screen material as mentioned was PETG which, I believe, is the same material they make the large pop bottles with. This was 1mm thick and was just a tad to rigid - I felt I had to use a bit of heat on the portside after it was fixed and just overdid it despite being really careful. Today the stbd side went on with no problems but just after the glue set and I removed the masking there appeared some very fine stress marks running vertically on the bend.
You can just see them here

Not particularly noticeable at the moment but once the vibration starts it may be a different matter. Just can't face taking it all off again at this point in time just so much else I want to get on with. If I was to do it again I would definitely use bolts around the front beading and make the whole thing removeable.

Its going to be finished as one of the FORD sponsored boats - '707' - in the 1969 Round Gt Britain power boat race. White overall except the cabin sides, lower hull and transom which is dark blue. I'm busy this weekend but painting starts with a coat or three of sealer first thing Monday, in the meantime here's how she looks now

Hope you like it. I'm very pleased despite the slight problems with the screen. I confess I got a bit carried away with the fiddly bits especially as it's supposed to be a gad about but you know how it is I'm sure. Can't wait to get it on the water - if nothing else but to stop the ribbing I'm getting.  "Where is it then!" a constantly heard phrase 'down the water'.

Regards for now - Ramon

BTW I haven't cheated on the pulpit the handrail is as per the original 707

Ramon

« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2009, 10:32:09 pm »

Now how did that get in there!!!!!!!!!!

andyn

« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2009, 11:04:36 am »

I cant say an aerosol is going to do much in the great scheme of things, probably just create more noise.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2009, 12:13:48 pm »

I have to say that is the best looking Huntsman I have seen, a great piece of woodwork, congratulations.
I'm with Andy regarding the exhust, I would stuff a load of wire wool in there, that would help a lot  :-))
Steamed up all the time

andyn

« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2009, 12:29:17 pm »

Only problem is that wire wool will create one hell of a lot of backpressure and would blow that silicon straight off.

I *think* there's a suitable silencer can in our boat shed, I'll get back to you tomorow.

I agree with Phil, I don't think I've seen a cleaner made Huntsman so far :-))

Proteus

« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2009, 12:30:12 pm »

I cant say an aerosol is going to do much in the great scheme of things, probably just create more noise.

I think all the old ripmax units where made the same and they worked .
and the wall thickness is about the same as some of the tuned pipes and the volume is prob greater
Proteus

Ramon

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2009, 02:32:34 pm »

Hi All, Just took time out from domestic duties - visitors tonight and Swmbo's 'jus do' list is only halfway done!!! You know how it is  {:-{ Still I am getting a day out at Duxford tomorrow. :-)

Thank you all for your very kind comments about the boat they are appreciated.

As regards the silencer this is a leap of faith really. What it consists of is a central 1/2" OD thinwall tube right through. There is a plug about 2/3rds toward the back end and each side of this are a number of holes. My thought was that this would act as an expansion chamber - gas in through the front end holes - expand and and then out the rear ones. I used an aerosol as this is a good source of very thin walled 'tubing' the end cap being sealed on, as is the tube, with JB weld something that has shown to handle the heat very well indeed.
'Breathing' through it shows very little restriction, something I have used as an indicator on aircraft silencers I have made. Those were bolted straight onto the exhaust and would get inside the 82dB requirement but of course at a much lower rev band. I'm fairly confident it won't restrict the engine but what the noise levels will be remains to be seen. If it's too much then a re-think is obviously in order. I can only 'suck it and see'

Thanks again, back soon - Ramon

Hmmm, Now where did I put that duster

ids987

« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2009, 04:32:25 pm »

Hi Ramon,

Now that is nice...
The Huntsman kit in my old 1979 (ish) Ripmax catalogue was definitely a well thumbed page.
I got as far as buying the plans about 5 years ago. I think they're in my garage somewhere. Still waiting for that "round tuit".

CHWk7

« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2009, 05:47:51 pm »

Hi Guys, thought you all might like to see my 1/8 scale Huntsman 31. Running 2x Irvine 61's Rear Exhausts with a sync system to lock both engines together from tick over. She looks just like the real thing when under way but you do need a large stretch of water for max speed and you have to throttle back from high speed to make the turns. Boat is not a kit but is scratch built off the oringinal Modav plans using marine ply and skinned in aircraft ply at 1.2mm.

Ramon

« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2009, 10:17:07 pm »

Veerrry Nice CHW, :-)) I bet it does eat up the water. They look like ordinary huco couplings you have there. How do you find they stand up to I/C power?

I'm struggling with the painting at the moment. It's been so humid the masking tape wouldn't stick - yes really! and to cap that off went down to get some aerosols yesterday only to find the local car shop closed - as in finished - stripped bare and looking very sorry. Sign of the times I suppose but another local supplier of handy bits and pieces gone to the wall.

On that note been looking around for pool noodles. Tried the local sports shop - six quid a piece! needless to say he's got quite a few on the shelf along with one he 'nearly' sold!!. Local toy shop was next, £2.99 - half the price for a twenty yard walk!

Regarding paint, anyone have any reccomendations particularly on the 'fuelproof' side.

I still have plenty of cellulose left from the aircraft days but wonder if there is anything that is quick and easy to get a result with - brush or spray

Regards for now - Ramon

CHWk7

« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2009, 12:49:59 pm »

Hi Ramon,
Yes you are right they are Huco couplings, doubles as engines are rubber mounted. Boat was built in Australia when I lived there and the couplings were all I could get at the time, have to say through yet to break one!! Boat has been repainted three times over the years and the last time I used Plastic Kote won't be doing so again much prefer cellulose.

Must admit "pool noodles" hadn't a clue what that was, had to look it up!

Ramon I have under constrution 54inch 28, hull is together with some cabin structure, will post a pic if you like.

Best Regards - Chris

Ramon

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:49 pm »

Well it's been quite a while since I could get any progress but at last today I have managed to get the topcoats on.  :} Trying to spray dependent on weather conditions can be frustrating to say the least.

I decided to go with using 'Brodak' fuelproof butyrate dope left over from 'aircraft days'. This is very good paint but really needs a butyrate 'substrate' to be at it's best. It will go over ordinary nitrate dopes providing they are left for some time to 'gas off' otherwise the butyrate reacts. (hence some of the time delay) I went for three thin coats of cellulose sanding sealer followed by an aerosol grey primer under the blue and white primer elsewhere. The white primer has much more 'body' than the grey and were I to do it again then I would use white all over followed by a thin coat of grey where the blue would go. However in hindsight I wished I had used thin epoxy straight on the wood - something I intend to do on the Hydro - but we all know how good hindsight is!

I will leave it a day or so to really harden then get the masking off. I feel it's on the home run now, just the 'logos', union flag and numbers to do then the clear coats.

Chris - sorry for not responding - just got carried away with the other project. Yes, please do - I'm assuming that's a 54" 28ft Huntsman.

Regards for now Ramon

Ramon

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2009, 07:53:28 pm »

Hi again,
Well, got all that masking tape off without the dreaded 'pull up' so am well pleased. It's beginning to look like a Huntsman at last.

Rubbed it all down with 1200 grit wet and dry ready for the 'markings'. I will leave it a few days to really harden before the clear goes on but at this rate it could be finished by the end of the month......???? Hmmm! I won't tempt fate by saying 'Test run on Bank Holiday Sunday' but the thought is there!

Regards for now - Ramon

Ramon

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2009, 11:59:07 pm »

Well you could say today has been a bit of a roller coaster O0
Perfect conditions for getting that clear coat on so set to and masked off the top surfaces so that the bottom and sides could be done first.

The product used was 'Woodminder' floor finish, no longer available regretably as it is such a good product though there is at least one other alternative just as good.
Totally fuel proof to 10% if not more, it thins with cellulose thinners and sprays superbly. Touch dry and handleable in 20 mins or so which today proved a real bonus ......

Mixed up 150cc thinned with 50cc and sprayed about 120cc on the boat - looking good so far. Stopped for a coffee then turned the boat up and remasked to do the topsides. Again it went on well but the remaider wasn't quite enough so quickly mixed up some more and carried on .
Everything  was still going well when, feeling that I had now put enough on the top I decided to quickly remove the masking and use the remainder in the gun along the sides. Two good passes on each side and there it was - the biggest bl--dy run ever produced by a spray gun. Near the full length of the side and heavy - really heavy - like grapes infact %% Oh dear oh bl---y dear. Golly gosh I said or something very similar. PANIC No don't - YES - DO Against all the advice on runs offered to others in do not touch it   it was just so bad I had to try and wipe it. Result - total bl--dy mess - well at least I thought so - but the 'grapes' were gone.
After 'regaining ones composure' (SWMBO, enjoying the sun in the garden - "Is something the matter dear?"  <*< ) I set it in the sun to warm and cure. This was about 10.30. By 1.30 I thought it was hard enough to try to sand out so stuck some 400 grit wet and dry to a small flat piece of wood about 1-1/2 long and gently scrubbed at it. I was somewhat amazed to find that it was indeed hard enough to sand and by 2.00 all trace of this near disaster was gone - PPHHEWWWWWWWW.  :D ;D %%

Unfortunately there are no pics to show of this epic but believe me I really did think this was going to be a strip back and start again situation.

Looking back I think I may have overdone the thinner on the second mix - that, and being over confident by how well the preceding coats had gone, I certainly wasn't paying attention to the build up while actually laying it on the sides.

Spent the rest of the day cutting back all the other surfaces - I think I need to give the bottom another layer as I have gone through in a couple of places but it's  looking good for a test run in the very near future ;)

I shall sleep well tonight!

Regards - Ramon

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2009, 10:55:39 am »

tough luck Ramon, I feel your pain! :((

I am at testing point with mine now, after a couple of reasonable tests with Brushed motors, it was good, but not quite the grin factor, so whilst trawling fleabay recently I stumbled upon a real gem of a brushless motor. Ran it this week, and its very good, with lots of potential, as I can change the gear ratio (2:1) now, and can go for a bigger prop, as the motor was stone cold, and can also up the volts, so a bit to do yet, but its going the right way, justy want a wee bit more speed!

I dont have your problems with fuel resistant paint, but......your run time will be all day, mine will be 15mins then a "charging" break :D
I did have a big set back, after the paint had been on a while, its started to get very fine cracks, so I had to strip all the paint back off, then using very light glass cloth, and resin, coated all the boat, and started again, hopefully that will cure the problem, seems fine up to now.
Just got to fit the seats, and a bit more small detail, wire up the lights, and spend a load of money on batteries at the upcomong Warrington shows! 

As it is almost finished, I was thinking of posting my refurb build, but here is what I am up to, a short video of the brushless test, keep us posted with yours :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD9dnbj8bJA&feature=channel_page

Ramon

« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2009, 09:13:45 pm »

Hi PMD, nice to hear from you.
I had a good look first thing this morning and yes it really did come out - it's hard to believe it happened. For a couple of hours there though I had that real gut wrenching 'why the hell did I do that' feeling. All smiles today though however I notice that there are some tiny areas elsewhere where the water from the rubbing down has crept through and caused the wood to swell. I really do wish I had done as you and glassed and epoxied it first. Bit late now - just have to see how it goes.

Good to hear yours is well in to the testing stage, I hope it proves well with the new motor. I hope to get mine wet next weekend though whether it will be ready to actually run remains to be seen - certainly going to try. I was asked if will it need ballast - haven't a clue really - I don't remember the Swordsman having any. Don't have a bath anymore and dug the pond out this year so can't try it at home first. I thought I'd leave any further pics until it's completely finished and on the water.

You should put your refurb up - I think I said before bringing something back to life again can be more satisfying than building something new.

Thanks for the link - unfortunately for some reason my computer doesn't seem able to open Youtube but I intend putting in to the 'sick bay' when I'm on holiday in a few weeks time.

Best regards - Ramon

MRZIPPYXXXX

« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2009, 12:41:01 am »

Hi Guys,
  CHWk7 and PMD can I echo Ramons sentiments - please put up your Huntsman build/refurb pics and details etc, the more Fairey the better !
Paul what motor did you eventually use? can we have details and who's gearing, prop etc you are using, the more info about what is a relatively new
subject in the fast scale model boat world (brushless tech) the better !

Your boat is looking very pretty, certainly no slouch and you still have the extra cells etc to play with !  Here in downtown Leicester we are slowly moving
over to lipo cells with great success, extended run times and around half the weight of Nimhs, well worth the pain of investigating, seem to be the norm
with the flyboys, early teething (explosive) problems appear to be ironed out, and prices are really coming down.

Ramon you have my sympathies, I know how gutting finishing problems can be, my Swordsmans painstaking planked deck expoxy finish went cloudy and
ruined after wrongly applying the second coat of SP resin (another story), had to be sanded back to bare wood and started again from scratch.
All readers please note: I write this from costly painful experience, watch out for signs of elbow pain or swelling when doing lots of flatting down or polishing etc,
my Tennis Elbow costs amounted to over £1000 in physio bills and long term enforced layoff/rest periods unable to do anything, especially modelling !

After the above talk of high tech electrics, this week in a moment of weakness, Ive plundered the dreaded Fleabay for a couple of classic marine IC engines,
now whats the best way to smuggle them past SWMBO.
Regards Paul

Ramon

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2009, 02:06:22 pm »

Hi Guys, -  Yes , quite agree "Let's be havin' you" this is one helluva way to share and learn and I'm very near to the finish so we definitely need some new input :-)) :-))

Which brings me to a last(?) question.

I have a steel standard 3/16 shaft running in sintered 'oilite' bearings top and bottom. What do I use to lubricate it?

Memory {-) seems to tell me I filled the tube with grease but as the cells are diminishing I really cant be sure.
Just to remind you the power is an HP61 running on 5% max and a standard exhaust.

Answers before Sunday please as that should be it's 'big day' ;)

Regards - Ramon

andyn

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2009, 05:08:17 pm »

Thin viscosity oil :-)) After run oil probably works, but it's a bit expensive for the application...

Ramon

« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2009, 10:33:33 pm »

Thanks Andy, I have some thin hydraulic oil which I will try.
Does this mean that a hole will need to be drilled through the tube wall at the top end to get the oil in and how often do you need to oil eg - every run - every outing or what? Are there any environmental issues with a total loss thin oil lubrication system to be aware of?

It should be fine for the bearings but what stops the water coming up the prop tube into the hull? Is this not a problem?

Thanks again - Ramon

andyn

« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2009, 10:49:54 pm »

Shouldn't take in water with oil in.

What most people do is drill a hole (at a forward angle) in the tube, only on one side, and solder a short legnth of tube to it, with a silicon tube to fill it with. Block off the tube while in use.

You can see one in the bottom of this pic.

Ramon

« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2009, 08:25:28 am »

Thanks Andy - I will sort that out today.

Just to be certain what you are saying though, the prop shaft/tube I've fitted is quite basic and has no seals. Are you suggesting that the whole tube is filled with oil? I can't see this one holding any in as the shaft is not exactly a precision fit in the lower bearing. I'm just a bit concerned that I will have oil leaking out everywhere.

Ramon

andyn

« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2009, 12:04:18 pm »

Should be ok, most people use an oil resevoir, the best I've come across is two humbrol tins soldered together, top lid still comes off and the bottom one has a pipe soldered to the bottom. This will keep it oiled as you go along. Needs a pin sized hole in the top to stop vacuums etc.

Don't worry about the environmental impact of it, it'll be about 1 part oil in 1 quadzillon parts water %)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2009, 04:00:22 pm »

Grease the shaft regular. this will keep it in good order.
How it is done: Remove the drive shaft, push the grease in at the prop end. Some use a small sringe which also dose the job. I just work it in the end useing my fingers . It takes a little time but it saves the shaft.
If you oil the shaft as per what Andy has said your right the oil dose indeed end up in the lake, and all over the place where the boat stands. I have tryed this way some years ago useing gearbox oil NOT thin oil. However I still go back to the grease up the end of the shaft way.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.