Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/8 scale Fairey Huntsman  (Read 87096 times)

bat44

Re: 1/8 scale Fairey Huntsman
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2010, 09:52:34 pm »

hi will just watch the white horses wow ........wow where can i get a copy as this would look good playing next to my swordsman when i go to boat shows

bat44

bat44

« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »

hi will just remembered fratton model center in portsmouth has a large scale huntsman for sale needs some work, i believe they were asking £150? if you are still looking

triumphjon

« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2010, 10:47:46 pm »

its still for sale , along with a 1/12 th scale spearfish !

Blackadder

• Shipmate
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2012, 12:09:38 pm »

Hi again, I hope I can get this right tonight!

Again, thanks for your kind comments on the build. Whilst I haven’t made a boat for over thirty years the techniques used have been well honed on building model aircraft – it’s been fairly straightforward – just exchanged balsa for ply and the scalpel for the bandsaw! That’s not to be flippant, ‘building’ is one thing it’s the technical side where a steep learning curve should be readily apparent.

The photo’s? Well that’s definitely down to the camera – a 2 mega pixel ‘Nikon Coolpix 2000’ bought a few years back at what seemed an exorbitant price and now they virtually give that size away with the cornflakes! It does have an excellent macro facility though and is so easy to use.

As you can see there has been a bit more progress. I’m quite surprised at this myself but then it is all the ‘big bits’ getting stuck on at the moment. Things will slow down once the ‘fiddly bits’ begin.
This shows fitting a couple of supports for the deck at the bows. Incidentally does anyone know of a source of these small clamps? they came three in a pack for a pound and I'd dearly love to get some more.

Water proofing the bows and underneath the deck using two pack Tufcote fuel proofer. The benefit of using this as opposed to other resins is that it dries very quickly on the workpiece but remains very fluid in the mixing cup for several hours.

I’ve decided to leave the hull skins to the last minute so that it will still fit in it’s building jig for working on the top side.

Regarding the cabin PMD I’m hoping to make the whole roof removable from just in front of the windscreen. If memory serves me right I think that’s how the original Aerokits Swordsman was done. Looking at the drawings of the Huntsman though I’m certain the roof has much more camber than the Swordsman (kit) so this may make the forming of ply to the compound curves involved very awkward if not impossible though it may be possible to ‘flatten out the curve on the bulkheads a little to improve matters a little. I’m not that far off – next session will be to fit the well deck sides and then dry fit the cabin sides.

Thanks for the invitation Andy I’ll bear it in mind and as I’m definitely a fair weather person these days the ‘Summer’ it will have to be .

Once again a Happy New Year to you all, back soon - Ramon

Riyadh69

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2014, 04:19:38 pm »

Hello from Larkfield Kent,

I have just purchased a copy of the Vic Smeed drawing but it does not cover the complete build, I have discussed it with the suppliers and they were no help. Is there another drawing in the set or an article from model boats please?

I half built a Presedent kit in the early 1970's and now retired and starting again.

Regards

Riyadh69

Manfjourde

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2014, 05:52:36 pm »

PM me for some plans.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2014, 08:35:08 pm »

Hello Riyadh69 and welcome to the forum.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »

just wondering, why have you posted on such an old thread? would might have been better on a new thread

Riyadh69

• Shipmate
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2014, 07:01:39 am »

That was my first post, there probably was a better place to put it, but it worked

Regards

Riyadh69

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2014, 09:14:35 pm »

I must admit I was quite surprised to see this back on the top page after such a long time. It looks like Riyadh69 may now have both drawings and if so I wish him well with his build. If this thread proves useful to him in any way it will have been worth the input.

I guess I should explain why the post faded - the boat has never been on the water since that described as just around that time a friend coaxed me into building an I/C engine from scratch. That came at a time when I was beginning to feel a bit jaded and proved so successful that the desire to do more took over and the boats (the Hydro plane too) were rather neglected. Another eleven engines followed so with no progress there seemed little point in posting. Hope no one was offended after all your input

I still have the boats - and about two years ago took up sailing RC yachts with my wife at the Norwich Club. I decided to refit the Huntsman with electrics - mainly for the reverse (it's a built up walled pond) and was able to fit a brushless inrunner which upon turning on on the bench was obviously far too powerful. I now have an 850 to fit but still have not got round to it as the yachts have taken over but I do intend to get it on the water someday - perhaps this will galvanise my butt into action though it has to be said there's a lot that gets in the way and not least the dreaded age thing - however I've resurrected an intention to build  a steam launch that began in 1972 - I finally got round to making the hull last Autumn and have just rebuilt the boiler.

My thanks to all who supported the thread when it was up and running - as said I'm sorry if I seemed disinterested, it was certainly not my intention to offend - the longer it went on the more it seemed appropriate to let it die naturally.

Regards - Ramon

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2014, 07:19:44 pm »

Hi,

Terrific job, well done.

I am refurbishing a rear cabin huntsman at the moment, what did you use for the aluminium surround on the windscreen?

Cheers

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2014, 08:28:33 pm »

Hi Ian -

If I remember correctly it was a builders product - self adhesive aluminium foil that I think is used for sealing insulation.
Without looking at it - it's stored at the moment - I'm not sure exactly how I went about it either. I have a vague recollection of applying masking tape to the inner face of the screen to act as a guide. A strip of ali tape was cut slightly wider and applied following the masking tape. This was trimmed back to the screen then the outside face was done using the applied ali tape as a guide, trimming and folding as before. Something like that anyway

Hope that helps some - good luck with your refurbishment

Regards - Ramon

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2014, 07:17:27 pm »

Yup, That helps, thanks.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2015, 08:17:55 pm »

Well it's been a long time coming but finally the model has seen some water time  :o :o

Having been a member of the Norwich MBC for some years now but purely sailing yachts the Huntsman has sat quietly on the shelf for far too long.
Recently however another yachting member had bought a longer version of the Huntsman and brought it along to try so that was the catalyst for getting a certain backside into gear  %) A few small refinements at the bow were carried out including blanking off the front screen. An aerial and the life raft will hopefully get fitted eventually along with the controls, steering wheel and seats, not forgetting those unique side air intakes but hey let's not rush things eh  ok2

Some time back I had intended to fit a brushless motor but having bought something I know so little about frightened myself with it's revs and that was on the bench!! Prudence being the better part of valour an MFA Torpedo 850 was bought along with the relevant ESC  but again prevarication set in and it too has sat here waiting for the right moment.

Well that's arrived and pleased to tell it's now had three good outings - it isn't quite as fast as I'd like but at 71 probably fast enough. It has a 12 volt 3700 NiCad battery and running on a standard 50mm Graupner prop. I've tried all the range 35 thu 50 both standard and X type but this gives the best speed with a reasonable duration. The prop cavitates considerable on turning - particularly to the right - due no doubt to it's closeness to the stern and that offset rudder so some anti cavitation plates are next on the cards.

These pics was taken on the first outing when there was a fair bit of lead in the stern. This has gradually been removed and she now sits very well and just about comes up on the plane

After the first trial I considered fitting the brushless motor to get a better speed but having got the motor out and the new one mounted on new brackets discovered the ESC doesn't have a reverse facility - with a walled pond definitely a desirable asset so back went the 850 - I guess I'll stick with that now ok2

Well, it's been really nice to see it on the water at last but despite having enjoyed the outings it's had so far I'm afraid I have to confess I do prefer sailing my Marblehead  :-)

But there you go then - all's well that ends well even if it does take so long to get there. So to all who have followed this over time looking at it on so many occasions and no doubt given up all hope of ever seeing it in the water thanks for sharing the journey with it.

A Happy modelling New Year to you all - may you have many happy pond side days of boating pleasure

Regards - Ramon (Tug)

AndyG009

• Shipmate
« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2017, 04:04:09 pm »

Hi there

I know that this is a number of years after the last post.

I was just wondering if you had any pictures of the Electric motor setup ?

Andy

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2017, 12:35:40 pm »

Hello Andy - I thought this was well forgotten :o

I have checked but don't have any pictures of the installation. The boat is stored at the moment and difficult to get to to see exactly how it was done but from memory the Torpedo 850 was bolted end on to an ally plate that attaches to two movable angle pieces bolted to the original plywood engine mounting side plates. The angle pieces allow angular, vertical and fore and aft movement for alignment of the motor plate - slots in the motor plate allowing sideways lateral movement.

That's about the best I can do at the moment so hope that helps you some

Regards - Ramon
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.