Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman decking needs a "wash"  (Read 3790 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Huntsman decking needs a "wash"
« on: December 08, 2008, 01:47:22 pm »

Hi all, just realised I cannot load pics from photobucket etc whilst in work! But I will start this post anyhow. I have just finished (after months!) the planking on the deck of my Huntsman 28.

In many photos of the real boat, the planks have either  been bleached by the sun, or faded over time, to a white/light grey colour. I want to do a wash, to recreate a similar "weathered" look, but dont want to get it all wrong. I am practising on some test pieces, but grey wash looks dirty, and white wash dries like it was never there in the first place!

I will load some photos when home, but can anybody give any advise, I have not done this process before.

Thanks

Dave Buckingham

Re: Huntsman decking needs a "wash"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:09:09 pm »

Hi ?
Try a mixture of one part black emulsion one part brown to warm it up and 10 to 20 times that of water.

Use as a wash

The emulsion is normal houshold or testor pots.

I make it by the Gallons for weathering old model railway buildings and vehicles looks great on new fine grained wood.

Best results do the pieces of wood first I dip them in and then put them on and old Tshirt to dry before glueing to gether this gives a slight variation in each plank and no white spots where glue has been.

Also can be used as a wash over most things
Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:21:11 pm »

here are the photos showing what I am trying to achieve :-))

Its the outside deck I am doing.

Dave, someone else suggested an off white emulsion, watered down, but how will I seal it in so it does not wash off when the boat is wet?

Thanks

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 07:34:12 pm »

When I used to sail with my Dad many many years ago, it was my job to oil the teak decks so the wouldn't look like that  :-) :-)

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 06:44:32 am »

Try my method on bare wood if possible with NO glue to stop it penitrating suggest you try it on scrap wood first.

Use Matt varnish to protect from water

Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:24:47 am »

will give it a go tonight Dave :-)) What about colours now you have seen the photos? Its a difficult colour to replicate, I was thinking white with a small amout of brown or black?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.