Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Little 12 inch tug and barges  (Read 7164 times)

walktheplank

Little 12 inch tug and barges
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:47:26 pm »

I started to build this little tug from nothing a wile ago, now I have almost finished.  Got to add names and still looking for the right figures.
But I wanted to tow something with it, I had no plans but after a lot of thinking time and scribbling, I come up with this. I don't have a bath now, so had to build a pond to float test. (i love fish anyway, that's my excuse) The wife and I went to our club water on Sunday and all seamed to go well, I thought she look quite good in the water, then one bright spark looked up and said, that looks good, But your lights are not right, you should have two reds lights on the mast when towing, talk about being a bit deflated after all my work. Oh well if that is all that's wrong, then I can live with it, or can I?
So I would like to know your thoughts before thinking of changing the green light for a red one. Hope you like the photos Sonic.

walktheplank

Re: Little 12 inch tug and barges
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:49:22 pm »

These was taken at the lake.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 03:16:34 am »

To be honest I would concentrate more on the fact that you have produced a cracking little model that anyone would be proud of rather than whether or not the light configuration may be correct.

I bet 90% of the models out there have something wrong with the lights but who cares?  Enjoy it as it is and don't bother changing anything, certainly don't feel deflated, feel really pleased with your efforts.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

hama

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 08:14:16 am »

What a lovely little boat! Could you please show some bigger pictures, and perhaps a little about how you built the boat and whats in it. Well done!
Hama.

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:19:47 am »

I agree with Bunkerbarge. Just enjoy it and lets have more details. A real beauty and only 12 inches long. We need to know more!!!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:34:15 am »

Great little tug, any chance of bigger photos?
(PM me if you have any problems with larger photos...)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:45:56 am »

Nice job, walktheplank

Thanks for showing us the pics

Is this an Own design or is she based on Richard Webb's plan?

Could you let us know the construction materials, motor, batteries, etc pour encourager les autres?

regards,
andrew

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:05:35 am »

Hi nice little model especially with the barges.  Take no notice of 'remarks', you built it for yourself and your enjoyment and it looks good. 
carry on the good work.
regards Roy

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 10:16:00 am »

... HI Guys...

Don,t bother with the "RIVET COUNTERS" remarks...He,s probably jealous...

Its a wee beauty mate...I had a wee "Tommy"  tug similar to this for Wee Johnny, It was built using afree plan from Model Boats Magazine...He carried it around in a Cool Bag...

There,s a wee idea to make yourself a carrying case for it...

...All THe Best...Norry...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

chingdevil

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 10:39:05 am »

As others have said take no notice of what others say, if you enjoyed building her and enjoy sailing her that is all that matters. That is a cracking model and you should be proud of it, some more info on the build would be interesting.

Brian

andyn

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 02:46:58 pm »

How superb, I want one ok2

Some kind of build pictures or discription would  be great

Andyn :-))

walktheplank

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 07:08:37 pm »

Thank you all, for your kind comments, as you may know ime quite new to model boat building, I have made a couple of boat from kits, (Robbe Antje 11 and a Billings Krabbenkutter Cux 87, see profile photo) but not done any scratch building before now.  So I will try and answer questions and help if I can.
I do like this place as there is some very quick and knowledgeable people here.
Yes the Tug was built from plans by Richard Webb 12” Thomas Tug, from Model Boat Mag I bought second hand from Weymouth show last year. It’s a really nice basic plan with no scale, but it did not have any lights, mast, or all the little things I think make a model.
Well to be honest I sort of built it for the wife to sail, its small enough for her to use and get used to. I now spend quite a lot of time modelling (Six heart attacks had something to do with that) so I have learnt that if I can get her involved a BIT, I can spend more time at my hobbies. A quick word of warning, I enjoy all types of fishing, sea, (beach and boat) coarse, and bit of fly. Thing is she can also fish now and beats me, and I taught her. <:(
Anyway I started with the plan and it went from there, the usual tracing paper, styrene, glue etc. As I continued building, the brain kicks in, (Yes it does work thank you, well sometimes) change this, add that, I was reading my monthly Marine Model Mag, then I remembered someone built some barges for there tug, looking through I found it, Feb MMI Barges by Jim Clark. That’s where the fun begin, I know very little about scale and how to put it into practice, that’s where the scribbling came in and I came up with what I have now. Still got bits to do as always. 
The hole tug is scratched built, the tug is built out of different thicknesses of styrene and the barges were built from thin ply and balsa wood for the frames, then covered in styrene. I used the usual glues, cyanoacrylate, araldite and  plastic weld, one bottle of weld had thin styrene leftovers put in to make it thicker, as you can go over the joints with thicker weld to strengthen and fill little gaps after you glued the joint normally.
The lights and mast, fire hose, railings and anchor are made out of brass, so are the bollards and tow hooks, I do have a small lathe, so turning is a bit easier but still learning to use it. The tyres and oil drums are all made from styrene, the bow fender was made by the wife, (love her) and the side fenders are fishing beads, and in the box at the back are more beads in two sizes. The motor is a 280 run off a 6 volt battery
(5 AA pack rechargeable) with a 10 amp Mtroniks speed controller. All the lights are 3 volt and run off 3 AA rechargeable batteries. One ordinary acoms servo for the rudder and a acoms 2ch receiver. Plus three acoms switches one for the tug and the other two for the barge lights. I used enamel paints most through an airbrush. The barge coal was got from e-bay (good old e-bay) and laid and glued over bubble warp then varnished to keep in place. The other barge has got wood in it from a cherry tree we planted and died. Poor tree but good for me, us modellers use anything we can get our hands on.(recycling at its best) still got to finish this off.
I will try and put some more photos and better ones (after a chat to Martin as this computer thing is new too) think I have covered most of it and its ok. Sonic.       

walktheplank

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:49:06 pm »

hope these are better photos

walktheplank

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:57:10 pm »

More photos as ask for.Sonic.

andygh

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 08:57:18 pm »

Brilliant, you should be rightly proud  O0

chingdevil

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 09:02:20 pm »

I am jealous now, my boats never look that neat and tidy when I have finished the wiring. That is a neat boat :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian

dan

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:40 pm »

that realy is a nice looking model, and has a tidy finish  :-))

nhp651

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 09:25:44 pm »

LOVE IT. makes me soooo angry that people can criticize such lovely work, purly tO enhance their own over inflated egos. >>:-(
my standard reply is,,,,,if you can do better, go and show me.
i better not show it the kids or my buildingplan will go to pot..they'll bopth want one each.
SUPERB. :-)) :-)) :-))

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 10:31:07 pm »

...Hi Guys...

Here is a picture of Wee Johnny.s 12" Tommy Tug  "FCB" named after his favourite football team of the time (Barcelona)

Note the Made to Measure Carrying Bag...A Cool Bag From Asda...

...All The Best...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

farrow

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 10:38:11 pm »

A lovely model set, they work so well together, they look business like and the tug is really well finished. As others have said enjoy your hobby and tell the rivett counters to mind thier own business. It may be of interest to to know that some river navigation authorities require different mast lights to the standard IMO light reguations.

Captain Povey

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 12:36:19 pm »

Dear Walktheplank what a great job you have made of all of that and thanks for posting it in such detail it will help and encourage me to finish a project I started some time ago. I wanted to tow something behind my St Canute tug so bought the deans marines barges. This is my first attempt at plastic card modelling and it has gone ok provided you do not always rely on the printed part to be of the correct dimension and trimming vac formings with the suggested scissors is not for me. Then I added the unused digger from the 10 hatch coaster I bought second hand. So the whole thing is a mixture of scales and the tug has no lights so I hope my club members are not as picky as some of yours seem to be. Your post has help me with decisions about how to finish the barges, position of bollards etc and how to tow them. I was concerned that if the barges get swamped in the wash of a faster boat and go down (no great loss financially) and take the tug with them I would miss the tug a lot. Did you use real coal for coal as I thought it might be a bit messy? I have some granules of black and natural nylon used in the injection moulding process that I am thinking of using as it is clean. Cheers and thanks again. Graham.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 04:18:06 pm »

A very neat set of tug and barges. :-))  As for the lights, so what if they aren't "correct". Let the rivet counters go count their rivets while you enjoy sailing the tug.

FWIW, I'm lighting my tug over the winter, and I'm using the old fashioned set of lights, none of this red and white lark. Makes it look too much like a set of floating traffic lights for me.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 05:42:51 pm »

Found it!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

walktheplank

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 05:50:01 pm »

Thank you all.
Graham  re coal - i used the model coal for model railways it comes in fine and coarse grades, as it is about the right size. If you got a bigger scale then you need bigger coal.
The chap in MMI did use house coal for his model barges. he hit it with a hammer to get the right size and then washed it. hope this helps.  Sonic.

offshore1987

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 08:59:25 pm »

Haha that sooooo sweet  :}

Nice boat budy

all the best
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.