Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know what the Ebay scam is ?  (Read 2829 times)

lifeboatpaul

Does anyone know what the Ebay scam is ?
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:24:50 pm »

Hi, all us ebayers have all sen it on listings - bids will be removed for bidders with score less than ten - unless you email me - Ive just had a Zero score winning bidder and not been able to make contact at all and have now removed it - WHAT EXCATLY IS THE SCAM ? does anyone know ? - if you do your knowledge would be of great value to us all.

Paul

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Does anyone know what the Ebay scam is ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:08:44 am »

I think it's just that long term ebays can'y be bothered to deal with newbies!  {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:11:29 am »

I suspect that too many of the regular sellers have had their fingers burned by people without a history not paying up.

Barrie

Damien

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 09:16:19 am »

The biggest scam on ebay is some buyers using paypal, of 1200 transactions since 2001 only 6  were supposedly lost in the post, were sold to the USA and paid with p/pal  buyer put in a dispute and got paypal refund, I not only lost the goods but also the postage cost, countless international money order sales were delivered without loss.
Consequently only Aussies get the benefit of super cheap Led's, unless I know the buyer from model railway or model boat forums.
I had one cheeky sod email me today asking for a discount if he bought 4 packs of 10 led's.
Damien.

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 05:21:30 pm »

I notice on many occasions on items I was bidding on I was out bid buy someone who had no feedback whatsoever but had been a member of ebay for some considerable time. Strange you would have thought they'd made at least a few purchase that could be seen in their feedback, I decided to make a note of the user id and check back to see if the seller left them some feedback in most cases none was forthcoming. I can only surmise that its the seller himself using an alias username and a different ip address bumping up the price of the item, my suspicions  seem to be confirmed when the same seller then re listed a similar item again not long after the auctions end.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 09:28:28 am »

Think thats quite common Bartapuss.

I have also heard of people getting friends to bid to get the price up and then if they win of course nothing changes hands, but feedback is posted.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 01:04:22 pm »

You get mates to put up the bidding price called ghost bidding
If you have less than what feedback the seller is looking for contact them to let them know your a serious bidder. it worked for me.
If you think you have a naughty email send it to spoof@ebay.co.uk (I think) its on their site what to do.I pay by paypal select a credit/debit card means of payment. its quicker than an electronic cheque. Your covered for loses up to a certain amount with paypal, and its a way of paying items internationally. Like my connectors from Hong Kong, here in 5 days.

Seaspray

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 01:13:37 pm »

Hi, one of the problems with ebay, is that if you put a sensible start price, ebay increase the commission charged. If you have a no reserve auction, then although the charges are lower, you could end up giving it away. This is why some people place a high postage charge, that way gets round the low start price problem as they will already have some profit in the postage. E bay don't like this though as it costs them money. This is only any good though for relatively cheap items.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 01:56:06 pm »

You get mates to put up the bidding price called ghost bidding 
  Also known as Shill bidding - http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/seller-shill-bidding.html

This is why some people place a high postage charge   
  Excessive Postage & Packaging Charges Policy - http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-shipping.html
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 03:29:25 pm »

JUST BE CAREFUL ON EBAY

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 10:37:53 pm »

Hi postage never bothered me.
I look at the bottom line price before I decide on my max bid. So if twenty pounds is my max and post is five pounds, I only bid fifteen pounds. Oh yes and plus three pence. Those odd pennies have won me quite a few auctions.

ashgarth

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 09:24:14 pm »

I think this keeping bidder ID secret was designed for people who wants they're mates to push the price up.Ebay don't care the higher the bids more comission for ebay and paypal.

Propslip

A Few Words in Defence of Ebay
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 08:01:53 am »

Ebay seems to be taking a few knocks of late. In defence I would say for me it has been an overwehlmingly positive experience :-). With about 6,000 deals buying & selling & largely trouble free. Of coarse there are always one or two out there who dont want to play the game :((. It pays to be a bit internet savvy, many problems arise when people dont use a common sense approach to security measures. I have had some great sales & real bargain buys. So I say long live ebay!!!!
                                                      Propslip

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 09:33:27 am »

Yes, I'm a BIG ebay fan and visit it at least twice a day.
 ( As some of you guys may know, I'm a collector of photos and information about older kits, ebay is a great source! )
The most annoying thing for me are sellers that don't respond to emails even when you are trying to buy something from them!   >:-o

NB. Please observe all the usual ebay caveats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.