Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brass finish  (Read 5888 times)

ahammond

Brass finish
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:41:42 am »

Can anybody recommend a way of getting a realistic brass finish on white metal? I have got a couple of fairly largish searchlights to do and the first attempt brushing on Humbrol  metalics was a complete disaster.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brass finish
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:08:02 pm »

Plasticote Brass paint.

Barrie

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:38:22 am »

One of those permenant marker pens in gold work well (I have also used the silver) finish with a light spray of laquer (gloss matt etc)
Big advantage you don't need to buy a big tin of paint for one little fitting
Great on plastic too.  :-))
Steamed up all the time

TCC

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:33:19 pm »

Some of the humbrol metal paints stand a polish, you know, and that brings them up 'looking like metal'.

I have 'Steel' I think it is. It's from a little sub-set of the humbrol range. That dries matt until I polish it with a cotton bud or something and it then shines and DOES take on a more realsistic 'metal' colour. However, I also have gunmetal, and brass, from the normal range and the Gunmetal doesn't!

The brass was bought recently and have yet to try a polish. [just tried my brass, it finishes with a 'bitty' texture, same as you? It's the right colour but that texture is bad for a supposed metal finish. Tried a polish and hmmm...it did look a bit shinier but didn't remove that texture.]

HIHs

Oh, my other though was gold leaf... or they also do a pueudo gold leaf. I don't know how practical that would be?

Tankerman

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 04:50:47 pm »

The Humbrol paints to which TCC refers that can be polished to give a good metal effect were the "Metalcote" range. According to the latest "Squires" catalogue only the Aluminium, Steel and Gunmetal paints are available since the Hornby take-over.

Chris

TCC

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 03:46:47 pm »

The Humbrol paints to which TCC refers that can be polished to give a good metal effect were the "Metalcote" range. According to the latest "Squires" catalogue only the Aluminium, Steel and Gunmetal paints are available since the Hornby take-over.

Chris

Yes, that's right... I've just found my old Humbrol brochure. There's 4 colours and alas, non of them are of a yellow metal.

Is that 'Polishing' a known feature of this range of paint? I found this out by accident.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:17:07 pm »

According to Ontracks website the following Humbrol paints are available in Metalcote.
50 Green Mist Metallic
 51 Sunset Red Metallic
 52 Baltic Blue Metallic
53 Gunmetal Metallic
54 Brass Metallic
 55 Bronze Metallic
 56 Aluminium Metallic
171 Antique Bronze Metallic
191 Chrome Silver Metallic
201 Black Metallic
222 Moonlight Blue Metallic

http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=catalogue&cat=1146&toplevel=1&page_now=1         :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dave301bounty

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 07:51:39 pm »

In these winter months ,i turn to my repair of clocks and watches ,i use a mix of gold laquer with a blob of mercury this ,leaves a brass finnish to a damaged clock bezel or one of the fancy 1700 sfeet on bracket clocks ,,,just a little thought ,/tip.

TCC

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 08:21:18 pm »

According to Ontracks website the following Humbrol paints are available in Metalcote.
50 Green Mist Metallic
 51 Sunset Red Metallic
 52 Baltic Blue Metallic
53 Gunmetal Metallic
54 Brass Metallic
 55 Bronze Metallic
 56 Aluminium Metallic
171 Antique Bronze Metallic
191 Chrome Silver Metallic
201 Black Metallic
222 Moonlight Blue Metallic

http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=catalogue&cat=1146&toplevel=1&page_now=1         :-))

Dicky
my old humbrol brochure lists these colours in the 'metalic' range, in deed I have 3 of them, with nos 11, 16 and 54.

The 'metalcote' is a different set of 4? colours with nos of 27001-6, 27002-3, 27003-0 and 27004-7.

Ah ha... that's why my Brass no16 is 'bitty', it's metalic paint!!!

Hagar

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 05:05:45 pm »

Testors do several metal finnish paints that can be buffed. Not had the chance to try them yet, maybe some of our US members can vouch for them...

They also do the most accurate range of US government approved colours, so they match 100% with the real paints use within the military. (their words, not mine).

There is another make of paints that are the best metal finnish paints you will evr find. They can only (with effect) be airbrushed but the results are stunning.
Cant remember the bl :police:dy name of them, but I'm searching like a loony to find them. (I want some to).

found it! Alclad: http://www.alclad2.com/alclad-home.html
Dont do brass though >>:-(

TCC

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 12:28:37 pm »

Found a bottle of 'brass' paint: water-based but for modellers:

http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Jotika_Admiralty_Paints.html

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 02:05:58 pm »

In these winter months ,i turn to my repair of clocks and watches ,i use a mix of gold laquer with a blob of mercury this ,leaves a brass finnish to a damaged clock bezel or one of the fancy 1700 sfeet on bracket clocks ,,,just a little thought ,/tip.

Mercury? MERCURY!! Have the hoards of the dreaded Elfin Safety not been battering on your door?

Barry M

parky

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 08:18:03 am »

Can anybody recommend a way of getting a realistic brass finish on white metal? I have got a couple of fairly largish searchlights to do and the first attempt brushing on Humbrol  metalics was a complete disaster.
first of all spray gold let harden then spray over with clear coat this gives a good brass effect and the aerosols can be obtained at halfords  parky

davidm1945

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 09:21:14 pm »

If it is a shiny metal -stainless steel or shiny white metal etc - a coat of amber headlight paint looks quite realistic. I have used this on model locomotives.

Anchorboy46

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 08:58:28 am »

You know what looks great? Take a can of cheap spray paint from any hardware store. Make sure it is gold. Shake can real good and spray it into a coke can torn in half. Or you can use the top the spray can comes with. Prolly a lot easier! Next, brush this on your die cast part. Let it dry and finish with a new coat of Testors copper. Looks just like brass. Clear coat if desired. Anchorboy

andygh

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 10:33:34 am »

If it is a shiny metal -stainless steel or shiny white metal etc - a coat of amber headlight paint looks quite realistic.

You beat me to it, also polished whitemetal with a coat of lacquer looks like steel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.