Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All singing and dancing Fairmile D + working torpedoes!  (Read 3095 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
All singing and dancing Fairmile D + working torpedoes!
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:55:59 pm »

Via email to Mayhem....

Hello

This is my first time to your website and I am not sure if any of your readers could Help but here goes.

I am just getting started on building a 1/24th scale Fairmile D MTB/MGB using the Kingston mouldings hull.

It is my intention to make it as all singing and dancing as possible, by introducing sound cards and rotating guns, bilge pumps etc., but before I proceed much further I need to work out where to put all the internal elements I want to install.

It is with this in mind I would like some advise on the mechanics of making the torpedo’s fire.

I have hollow tubes and fittings from precision mouldings which basically is based around approx 15mm pipe, and I have a good basic idea of using a servo to push a trigger/s of some kind to fire them,  but it’s advise on the pneumatics I could do with.

I accept that compressed air is the easiest propellant, readily provided by a foot pump and leg power. I would think 60 p.s.i in a quick burst would do the trick if it is to counter the forward motion of the boat on full tilt.

It’s what can be used to act as the two or four reservoirs that I am having trouble with. If possible I would like to get them working independently or at worst case pairs but it is all subject to space and weight.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tom (Nobby’s Navy)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

amdaylight

Re: All singing and dancing Fairmile D + working torpedoes!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:35:19 am »

Greetings Tom,

Now is the time to thank the RC Aircraft guy's O0. If you go to Robart Manufacturing ( http://www.robart.com/ ) and click on the air systems button and then on the air tank button ( http://www.robart.com/air_systems/airtanks.aspx ) you will find nice little air tanks that we use for our retractable landing gear. Also you will find there air line, valves, and all manor of fittings and such for your project.  :-))

Andre Anderson :-))
over yonder in Portland Oregon

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:47:31 am »

Tom,

If you are based in the UK be very careful with working torpedoes. If you fire them from a tube, using pressure of 60psi, you are breaking the firearms laws. This subject has been debated long and hard on the forum. Your best bet would be to have torpedoes that are self propelling. These do not contavene the law unless you load them with explosive!!!!

Barry

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:21:43 am »

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:08:06 am »

Thanks for that Colin. It never occurred to me to search for it.. :-)).

fooman2008

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:25:57 am »

I ginned up a couple of very poor ideas for torps on RCGroups and I'll add them here.  I apologize for the crudeness (done with MS-paint) but they convey a couple of different ideas[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.