Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SNØGG class  (Read 8398 times)

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
SNØGG class
« on: September 16, 2006, 04:03:40 pm »

I am new to this forum and I would like to tell you that your models are great, but I also need your help.  I am building snogg class mtb from Norway but I cant find any pictures of this class( just lots of hauk, strorm,..). I mainly searched on the net. I would also like to know a story of this class. I would be wery pleased if somebody could help me.

Barthez

Re: SNØGG class
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 04:50:37 pm »

How old is this class of ship ? 
I have a few copies of Janes etc in my loft I can have a look if the ship is in my era if you see what I mean.

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 06:28:05 pm »

They were build 1970/71 in Norway and they served well into 80. Problem is that they dissapired unlike other classes(storm was sold to Baltic countries or tjeld/nasty class to USA) I found out that one of the boat(KNM Kvikk) had some trouble with their equipment for electronic warfare.

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 04:17:04 pm »

I know they are hard to find. Thanks anyway but If someone should find any photos, please post them

Aage

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 04:27:41 pm »

You can try this page for the nasty-class

www.ptnasty.com

Aage

laserblue16

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 07:47:28 pm »

The snogg class( fast attack boat).
P980  SNOGG
P981  RAPP
P982  SNAR
P983  RASK
P084  KVIKK
P985  KJAPP
DISPLACEMENT   135 TONS
LENGTH               36.5 MTRS
BEAM                  6.1 MTRS
DRAFT                 1.5 MTRS
SPEED                 32 KNOTS
RANGE      NOT KNOWN
Dont know if this is of any help to you, but you could try searching 1 of the names for more info or photos of these boats. all the best in your search and please let us see the pics of your progress. Chris

laserblue16

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 02:45:44 pm »

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 06:53:08 pm »

Thanks, you are the best. I ll take some pictures and post them. It isn`t  much to see yet  :(
I made some mistakes when I was moulding the hull and now  i`m trying to putty things up. I honestly hate epoxy resin it is such a mess. Next project will be just wood and nothing else. ;)

laserblue16

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 07:17:23 pm »

Glad to be of help. I think you'll find everyone else on here the same. All the best with your build.
 Chris

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 04:52:14 pm »

Hello all
Its almost a year when I last posted here, here are few pictures of boat showing progress, this boat will take lots of time before she will be done. Details were the bigest isue here. Finaly I got few photos of her if someone would like them tell me and I will send them to you. And I stil need photos of details (mostly radar, mast, armory). When I was building boat I made few mistakes I will try to fix if someone of you guys can point them out for me

cdsc123

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 06:33:20 pm »

Have you seen
http://navi.modelisme.com/article80.html
There are 13 good photos, and a pdf plan of the class.

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 08:03:27 am »

Yes I saw them. Can somebody tell me what are thingies at the end of torpedo tubes, looks like somesort of small drums, something to do with pressurised air maybe? I havent seen anything like that on other boats, even on tjeld class wich had otherwise quite similar torpedo tubes

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 02:58:40 pm »

It took me some time to get her this far. Still needs some work but she will probably have to wait a little.  On water looks much better than I thought she would but I have no pictures yet.

SinWin

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 10:18:52 pm »

Wow, that looks amazing! I really want to build one of these myself one day. What driving gear have you fitted? Has it been on the water yet?

I have no idea what that "thing" on the rear torpedo tubes are, I don't think it is pressure bottles, though.

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 06:34:41 am »

Thanks, I built her with plans I found on the net. I installed two speed 700 turbo motors and she goes like dream, and she is quite stable too. :} :} Thanks to Norwegian engineers :-)). Sadly no videos yet, anyway she was not on water this year too much to do with other projects ( two  tug boats and 143A class of German navy in 1:25 scale which waits for quite some time now :(()

SinWin

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 11:13:23 am »

About the same setup as in my Tjeld-class, then (2x700 motors). What scale is she?

The same hull profiles were used both in the Snøgg, Storm and Hauk-classes, that tells us that the same hull shape were used from 1963-2008, which tells a lot about the quality and capabilities of the hull.

One of the Storm-class boats were converted to water jet propulsion, and KNM Kvikk of the Snøgg-class were used as an electronic warfare-vessel, which caused trouble for some of the crewmembers, due to the exposure to high radiation.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 11:55:27 am »

....did the Snøgg class vessels have BRONZE hydrostatic main engine propulsion systems to reduce the magnetic signature for electronic warfare???  {-)

Many years ago I spent time investigating & understanding the failure of such a drive here in OZ on similar vessel...............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 11:58:13 am »

She is 1,58m long and is in strange scale 1:23 {-) {-). Guy that plot plans made quite flaw but I didn't care that much, so I built her that way. Now I am bit sorry because I have other models in 1:24, but then again Alfa is in 1:25, so... When in water it will be hardly noticeable. Propellers are 45 mm twinblade graupner, I managed to put six accumulators so there is 12V 13.5 Ah available. Motors are aircooled by small elektroimpeller. %% Not that they needed -more for fun and crazy sound {-).
Anyway I like those boats -Storm class  maybe most. I have read something about Kvikk years back- was that reason that they retired Snogg class so soon? Storm are still operative I think in Baltic if I am not mistaken. Hauk class is also scraped- sad -beautiful boats.

SinWin

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 12:47:06 pm »

Well, 1:23 sort of smoothens the gap between 1:25 and 1:24, I guess.

13,5 Ah is not bad, how long can you run it at that? I'm having 21,6 in my Tjeld, but I'm thinking of removing one of the batteries, it rides a bit heavy in the water.

Yeah, many of the Hauk-class boats are scrapped, but some of the hulls are for sale - a few million kroner, and you've got it!

One Storm-class survives, at the Naval museum in Horten. One Storm class, the one with the water jets, actually survived too, and were run by a group of enthusiasts, but they did not manage to raise enough funding for their project, and had to let her go in the end. Two Storm class boats were given to Latvia, far as I know, and yes, they're operational.

I don't think they retired the class because of the Kvikk-case. The problems for the crew members were not discovered until years afterwards, when KNM Kvikk had been scrapped. They actually partly rebuilt one of the remaining Snøgg-class boats to test the radiation levels, I don't know which one, but I don't think it was the Kvikk itself.

farrow

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:50 am »

Hi SJOORMAN,
There is a pic of theRAPP in the 1983/84 Janes Fighting Ships with the normal details trhat you get with the publication. I notice that it says they are also fitted for 4 x single launched SSM Penguins, though they do not carry full complement of missles at all times, the photo of the Rapp shows 2 fitted right aft on each quarter. They do look nice as a class, and your model looks brilliant hope you get a lot of fun sailling her.

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 01:42:14 pm »

Thanks, both  for reply. I ll try to find Jane's Fighting Ships. As for running her -she is best of my models ok2. Still lot to do - launchers, details,..  but these days I am to busy with other projects, so,...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.