Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet Explorer  (Read 3112 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Internet Explorer
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:31:30 pm »

I heard on the radio (early) this morning that there was a serious problem with Internet Explorer, and by using it you could allow access to your computer by criminals. Microsoft were working on it.
Is there a problem? has it been sorted? can I use Internet Explorer ?

Colin
Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:50:07 pm »

Hi Colin

Yes there is a problem with IE7, it has not been fixed yet but MS are working on it. The impact is said to be minimal at the moment but then they always say that!!!

See BBC site for more info http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm

and here for a more in-depth article http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/12/microsoft_big_security_hole_in.html

I have tried IE8 Beta but had a few problems so now use Firefox or Google Chrome. The best thing is to make sure you anti virus ets is up to date and be careful where you browse.

HTH
Richard

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:50:30 pm »

Snap  :-)) :-)) :-))

PT Sideshow

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:21:09 pm »

Well on this side of the pond, they are making a little bigger deal of it as it leaves all the sites you go to with pass words like e bay or banking sites or use of a credit card. That can be stolen by highjacking your computer. Of course Micro Suc says it is minimal as they rolled out another in a long line of products that weren't ready for use.
Whether it is by accident or on purpose it still will cause problems for all that have been hit by the thieves before it became public. Like with their latest greatest OP that parts work and parts don't. Have to keep the bottom line overinflated.

Local Cable ISP rolled out a Smart mail program, a couple of weeks ago works for crap and they forgot to include a way to check more than one e mail address they let you have up to 8 email addy's they have been working on it for 8 weeks(right). You have to log off and log back on unless you forward all of them to your main email. which works fine, but I was toward I can't do that on this system. %% %% %%

Boy if I had a clue about computers and software I guess I could take over the world!!! :P :P :P 8)
So depending on what and were you read it. Yes there is a problem, and they will fix it some day.

craftysod

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 07:28:49 pm »

Windows live one care is not a bad program,free trial for 30 days,and if you do subscribe its cheaper than other programs and does a better scan,virus check
Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:20:09 pm »

I think Windows One Care is on the way out in favour of standard third party AV offerings or a "free" Windows alternative. Check it out before parting with money!

Colin

craftysod

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 08:40:48 pm »

I have no intention of parting with money,but it found a problem on my computer,that other virus checkers couldnt.
Whatever security system/program you use,there will allways be someone ahead to hack/invade your privacy,steal details.
Unfortunately this is the world we live in today.
Mark

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:05:22 am »

It appears that the fireboat website nearly got taken out by a virus , possibly the one in the news . <*< >>:-( <*<

Albion

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 02:40:34 am »

something in a similar vein. Every windows pc has an 'administrator' folder, for work pc's these are locked off by our IT guys with passwords, but on your home pc you just forget it right? Well you should log on as an administrator and put a password on it. Some hackers use a programm to hunt down open admin areas not apssword protected and invade through ther. We had a work pc hit with this a while back.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 01:00:58 pm »

A fix should be available from 18:00 GMT today. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7787445.stm

Colin

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:22:53 pm »

Dumped IE7 and replaced it with Google Chrome.....Brilliant and everything works quicker than before..

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 05:34:11 pm »

Yes, Chrome's pretty good, although I have found one site it doesn't work with. Same applies to Firefox, although that has got rather slow to load.

Barrie

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 08:47:18 pm »

The fix is now available at www.microsoft.com.   Have downloaded it with no apparent problems.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 11:19:50 am »

Got the update automatically as I've setup the computer to "automatic update."   :-))

It is update KB960714 for Explorer 7

Seaspray

Cargo

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 01:06:51 pm »

Dumped IE7 and replaced it with Google Chrome.....Brilliant and everything works quicker than before..

Google Chrome is more like spyware...  {:-{

Better choices are Firefox or Opera  ;)

barryfoote

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 08:47:19 pm »

I am going to give Chrome a chance for a month and see what happens. So far it knocks spots of IE7.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.