Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: masking  (Read 4076 times)

tomocj

masking
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:35:41 am »

Hi any one any suggestions on what masking tape to use on hull/water line,looking for a good finish ,so will not use stuff from DIY shops.HELP please!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: masking
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:37:58 am »

I always use Tamia Tape, it costs more but comes in several widths ans is low tack.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:58:40 am »

hi there heres a tip i was told and it works very well . if you are painting a hull red and black. Paint the red ,let dry then mask up. But be for you put the black down give a quick spray of  red. This is down because it seals the tape and if the tape bleeds you end up with red on red. Then when that red paint has dried paint the black.

john   ps you cant get better than tamia masking tape but it ant cheep

tomocj

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:28:22 pm »

thanks for that I will get some in.
Shipmate 60 noticed the Portsmouth football club bit,just thought I'd better tell you that you have helped a Southampton lad ,cheers again .chris

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:12:53 pm »

Yes, but don't ask him about the Russian who owns Pompey FC and his current "troubles"!

Roger in France

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:20:35 pm »

thanks for that I will get some in.
Shipmate 60 noticed the Portsmouth football club bit,just thought I'd better tell you that you have helped a Southampton lad ,cheers again .chris
Dont start him off again Chris, {-) {-)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:07:36 pm »

Chris,
Dont matter on here, on the terraces though................................................

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 03:42:50 pm »

Just watch there is a few different strengths of  masking tape these days.

Make the first of the two colours  is well adhered to the hull  and dry. Give it a couple of days to really cure, that way you might be lucky and not pull some of it off when removing the masking after doing the second coat (overlap). Second colour I tend to let it sit for an hour and then take the tape off. I pull the tape back on itself and into the coat of paint just (slightly) I've just done. Watch for bleeding by giving the tape edge a good push down all the way a long it several times before spraying. Don't spray into the edge of the tape more straight at it, this may also help stop bleeding. Temperature is important too. I used low tack tape and remember some of those tapes have a limit to the time they should be stuck to the job

Took me several times to do my KG5 and still not totally happy with it.

match

tomocj

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 10:33:50 am »

I suppose the easiest way would be to paint it all one color and not worry to much at this early stage of model boat modelling.its tempting but I will try and mask.thanks for the advice one and all.chris

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:47:38 am »

You could try spraying/masking on a spare piece of wood or material  similar to the hull. Till you see your results.

Its an experience needed in later model building.

John C

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 04:44:53 pm »

I think it helps to get gravity on your side as well if possible.

i.e. if your painting the hull upside down paint bottom first then mask and paint upper part still upside down (paint less likely to run uphill).

Works for me

Bwalsh

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 11:48:25 pm »

Having used all sorts of masking tapes etc have found BECCs masking lines and sheet best by far.  I think they use speial industrial vinyl masking as I have seen somthing similar used in spray shop for air brush work on a Pimpmobile.  Its also clear so you see where you are putting it and also where you have rubbed it down properly.  I can't lseem to link directly to page so search masking on this link www.becc.co.uk or call Malcolm at Reade as they stock it (I think).

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.