Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rub-on Transfers: cutting + applying?  (Read 4400 times)

TCC

Rub-on Transfers: cutting + applying?
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:27:05 am »

Hi
has anyone ever cut up rub on transfers and applied them in bits?

My scale is odd and I've seen a set of depth markings (y'know, the roman numerals down a ships hull) for a scale a bit larger than mine so I oroginally thought that I could cut between the white numerals and apply each line 'line by line'.

But while I've done this type of thing with waterslide transfers, I'm not sure if it's possible with rub on ones.

Anyone ever edit their rub-ons? or have ever tried this?

I've seen an image of the sheet and there looks to be a healthy gap between the numerals. My hull is 1:144 [1/12th mper foot] and the transfers are 1:128. [3/32ths] That mean I have 12 'feet' to my inch in 1:144 while the same distance in 128 is 1 and 1/8th". I think the range gos from 5 to 35 ft so there's like 5/16ths too much height in height, if you follow.

I could easily live with this but that last bit in me says hey TCC, if accuracy is easily within your hands, do the extra hour.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rub-on Transfers: cutting + applying?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:24:53 pm »

I have cut and altered some rub down letters, with some success, its fidley but take it slow and can you get good results.
Try a test   :-))
Steamed up all the time

TCC

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 06:02:14 pm »

I have cut and altered some rub down letters, with some success, its fidley but take it slow and can you get good results.
Try a test   :-))

What did you cut them with, Phil? I've never used proper rub-downs before so I don't know how practical it would be.

I had a little test with a sheet of them 'letraset' letters (numerals) and cutting the acetate sheet with scissors broke the transfer up (I was actually cutting through the transfer, not the transparent sedge round it) This could have been age of transfer (from early 90's) or my scissors (cutting wire with them)?

I don't know which way to go, leaving them as is will be oK and look good but cutting them makes the model 'righter' but I risk mucking them up. You only get 4 and I need 4! LOL There's sorta no room for error! I suppose that answers my dilema?

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 11:56:30 pm »

I used a scapel and put a light cut through the letter itself (ie on the back, the bit that gets rubbed on) and scraped away just a little of the bit I didn't want (shades of the old drafting days scraping bits india ink off a drawing that I got wrong) then with a med pencil rubbed it on. If you do get a part on you don't want, as you haven't rubbed that part, it shoul be easy to remove with the point of the scapel and a bit of masking tape.
Hope this helps.
Phil
Steamed up all the time

TCC

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 11:06:04 pm »

Thanks Phil... but in drafting my earlier reply, I had a epithany! Don't break spoil the nice bits you've bought!

Plus, on the rear of this hull, there's a big undercut as the hull curves under. Stretching a transfer around that curve will remove any pretensions of scale... and probably, the stern depth mrks will end up being right... the bows practically straight side less so.

But I'll live with that, I'll just make sure my waterline numerals are the same and let the other numbers fall where they may.

Thanks for replying
paul

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 12:32:49 am »

I've had great success in applying dry transfers to clear decal sheet. The sheet is then cut out and applied like any wet transfer decal. Use a decal setting solution to set the decal down on the paint.
  One of the big advantages of this , is you can combine, mix, or change dry transfer decals to match a particular application. It is also far easier to apply a wet transfer decal over a rough or uneven surface than it is dry transfer decals. This technique was used to apply the numbers and pin stripping on the steam loco in the picture.
  I've used this technique many times in model railroading. Used to do custom painting when my eyes were much better.

John

TCC

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:48:06 am »

How much is a 'clear decal sheet' John? And where would one get one?

I don't thik I'm going that way now but you never know.

Thanks mate.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 03:18:10 am »

How much is a 'clear decal sheet' John? And where would one get one?

I don't thik I'm going that way now but you never know.

Thanks mate.

Good hobby stores should carry them. They come in about 8 1/2" x 11" size. In Canadian funds you can generally get a pack of two or three sheets for about five bucks. I've attached a URL for a wholesaler (and retailer) for model railway supplies who carry the product:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?quick=clear+decal+sheet&quicksrch_butt.x=0&quicksrch_butt.y=0

John

TCC

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 03:02:28 pm »

John
do you know if you can inkjet onto these sheets? I ask as that A4 size is printer-like.

It's no good for me in this application as you can't print white from an inkjet but you never know in future.. plus others read this.

By the way, v nice trains.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 03:33:24 pm »

TCC

You can get Inkjet Decal films that give either transparent or white backgrounds. Squires list one with transparent background, but a Google search for Inkjet Decal Paper will provide other suppliers and options.

Barrie

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 03:39:03 pm »

TCC

You can get Inkjet Decal films that give either transparent or white backgrounds. Squires list one with transparent background, but a Google search for Inkjet Decal Paper will provide other suppliers and options.

Barrie

They're good, but, unfortunately you can't get white lettering from them.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 03:47:25 pm »

John
do you know if you can inkjet onto these sheets? I ask as that A4 size is printer-like.

It's no good for me in this application as you can't print white from an inkjet but you never know in future.. plus others read this.

By the way, v nice trains.

Heres a supplier of all types of decal paper including inkjet decal paper:
http://www.decalpaper.com/category-s/2.htm

Also a supplier of plane clear water slide decal paper:
 (scroll to the bottom of the page)

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 05:16:50 pm »

Heres a supplier of all types of decal paper including inkjet decal paper:

Also a supplier of plane clear water slide decal paper:
 (scroll to the bottom of the page)

John
[/quote]

I just noticed I got the URL for the second supplier wrong. It should be:

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page395.htm

John

Bwalsh

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 11:26:14 pm »

If the rub down transfers are on a plastic backing then if you heat it up it shrinks a bit or will stretch if pulled from both ends (easier to get the wife to help with this) while heating with hair dryer (wife again) I know because I tried to modify some to account for change of spacing over the curved bow on tanker once.  Alternatively the BECC ones on vinyl match most scales and stretch easily by hand as the film is a stretchy vinyl.  www.becc.co.uk

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.