Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upscaling plan from 1/16th to 1/12th: how many %?  (Read 8822 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Upscaling plan from 1/16th to 1/12th: how many %?
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 02:17:08 pm »

Thanks for the star!

And, yes, an AoTS for any more WW1 Grand Fleet ships would be tremendous. Though I won't hold my breath - I know the publishers need to make what'll sell, and I think the market's pretty small for anything other than the Dreadnought and Warspite. Though Lion, Invincible and Iron Duke could maybe have made it at a pinch?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

TCC

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 04:33:53 pm »

Thanks for the star!
You're welcome. :-)

And, yes, an AoTS for any more WW1 Grand Fleet ships would be tremendous. Though I won't hold my breath - I know the publishers need to make what'll sell, and I think the market's pretty small for anything other than the Dreadnought and Warspite. Though Lion, Invincible and Iron Duke could maybe have made it at a pinch?

Andy

Well you could think that about BELFAST, GAMBIER BAY or the Brit fleet carrier they've done (is it VICTORIOUS?) as those builds will be in the single figures too.

You an make a case for the corvette and D'NOUGHT though as they are popular kits... especially the former.

Does the DREADNOUGHT AOTS book give detailed drawings of the secondary armament and the AA/saluting guns?

I do have an image of her firing her 'Q' turret broadside, iirc, it's a deck shot including all the winches and deck slutter. Do you think you've got it?

Cheers

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 04:19:42 pm »

The Dreadnought AotS book gives substantial detail of the 12lb-er secondary guns. Which is good, because I need ~24 of them...  <:(

There's less info on the HA guns - so I'll need photos to help build these, but that's a long way off yet.

On the photo - I'm not sure I have that one. There's a "famous" (bear with me, none-Dreadnought-readers - we're in the land of anoraks here) one of her X and Y turrets being busy. Is there any chance of a scan?

Many thanks,

Andy

TCC

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 05:31:20 pm »

Yep... I'll swap ya! LOL

I've left it with the half-tone dots that make up the image as removing them can soften whatever detail is in it, and there's not a lot. I didn't sharpen it either because it just sharpens these dots and doesn't do much for the image. I can do if you'd like? Give us an e-mail addy and I'll send you the bigger version but it's not got any more detail in it. The book is from about 36-37.

This is the scanned image:

How are you for Wasteney-Smith anchors?

Here's what I have:

The above is from a US Govt. naval archive... and where I think I've seen the image you're talking about.

and anchors:

I've made my own anchors and I think I got them both wrong a bit, I think the the byers anchor flutes detail is transposed, depressions should be protusions and vice cersa. The wastney smith.. the bit betwen the flute and the body foxed me... but all my achors rotate to 45° and then stop, just like the real things. ;-)

John Haynes has images of some anchors on his site, they may be your scale if you're interested.

Cheers
paul

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 09:39:07 am »

Hi Paul - that top photo is not one I've seen before, but it's X turret, not one of the wing ones.

Hmmm...coaling hatch is flush with the deck: that's good - the "stuck on" Dean's model ones feel very wrong. What else?

Where's the blast bags for the 12"ers?
And that big metal thing resting next to the right hand barrel? Is that a searchlight cover?
Good view of the coaling winch.
Tampions in the 20lb-ers.
Towing cable wrapped around the base of X barbette.
Awning stanchions still standing where the crew are, dropped where the turret's training.
I'm sure I've seen "cleared for action" photos where the net davits are laid back onto the deck.

My anchors - they're looking ok. I've made "a few" in card and Milliput. I'll be casting the best of these later, once there's enough moulds made up to do things in a batch.

Regards,

Andy

TCC

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 12:24:17 am »

Hi Paul - that top photo is not one I've seen before, but it's X turret, not one of the wing ones.
ah! I was half right.. I knew it was a turret in action.

Hmmm...coaling hatch is flush with the deck: that's good - the "stuck on" Dean's model ones feel very wrong. What else?

How many do you have to do? I didn't count ine but there was no way I was drilling 30-40? holes in the planking. So I've used a hole cutter to pucj a circle in paper and painted it grey. I'm not happy with them as the coaling hatches have a pattern to them. I don't know how else to portray them short of getting a drill out.

Where's the blast bags for the 12"ers?
LIONs 2ndary positions have a bit of a non-standard pattern to the blast bags... it's only the ones pointing fore or to the beam that have them. The rearward ones in the aft structure don't have them. But the main guns have always had them.

But DREADNOUGHT without them? Well aren't they to prevent the blast from neighbouring guns? Don't know anything else that could prod you to a conclusion.
And that big metal thing resting next to the right hand barrel? Is that a searchlight cover?

That 'wooden frame' with the wire diagonals looks like oone of those joiners benches... actually, it looks like a bench for sharpening a saw... and I'm thiking workman/joiner as there's barrels full of hardware/stores/equipment nearby... but it could just be a tressle/table.
Good view of the coaling winch.
Can't tell you how much I detest giving you that when I go without.  ok2
Tampions in the 20lb-ers.
Towing cable wrapped around the base of X barbette.
Does AOTS give a clue on how they fix that to the deck? I'm guessing eyelets in the hawser and shackled to eyebolts on the deck?
Awning stanchions still standing where the crew are, dropped where the turret's training.
I'm sure I've seen "cleared for action" photos where the net davits are laid back onto the deck.
would they remove the brailing davits to fire the main guns? I haven't seen that. Stanctions? yes! But not those davits.

My anchors - they're looking ok. I've made "a few" in card and Milliput. I'll be casting the best of these later, once there's enough moulds made up to do things in a batch.
Well where did I go wrong on the w-smiths? What's the area betwen the flukes and the body like?

cheers

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 04:46:59 pm »

Ahhh...

Here's a picture from the AoTS Dreadnought book.

Looks familiar?

It was taken at a similar time to your closer shot. The metal disc on the deck (which appears to be a searchlight reflector, now I read the blurb) has moved between shots, while everything else is more or less the same. More or less the same, since - without telephoto lenses - our photographer has had to move between shots.

Andy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 11:56:41 am »

Apologies for the last post - the image ought be:

...this one.

(I've just had a bit of a Spring clean among my files storage, and we can't back-edit posts in Mayhem.  <:(

Andy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.