Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heaters  (Read 2770 times)

hover tim

Heaters
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:11:10 pm »

Hi all

My Heater is possibly on its way out but concidering its from 1976 and was still working it not a bad running lift .so i am now concidering options another Gas hear or electric heater i Know electric hearters use a lot of power where as gas ones dont as a full bottle will last me a winter but gas is getting more expensive and a new gas heater is about £80 where as an electic one's are cheaper but as i have said they cost a lot to run you thoughts and tips please gents 

colin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Heaters
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:24:44 pm »

I prefer electric gas heaters cause to much condensation for me. The halogen ones are quite efficient to run.
Born free Taxed to death.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:17:06 pm »

Electric every time for the workshop, for the same reasons as Colin - gas has too much moisture!

Plus, you are not filling the workshop with combusted gases from the heater, which cant be good for you.

if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 07:37:54 pm »

I have a convector heater controlled by a thermostat. It heats the air without blowing it around and stirring up dust like a fan heater does. Radiant heaters are not so good as they only heat up what is in front of them rather than the air in between. You need an even air temperature to aid drying paint, glue etc. plus it's nicer to work in.

Colin

hover tim

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 07:45:25 pm »

I never seem to have an issue with moisture as for ventalation my workshp has a vent in and a curtain that seporates it from the main part of the garage but there is a gap of 4 foot so i keeps warm yet allows airlow

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 08:27:21 pm »

When I was confined to the shed I used an oil filled thermostatically controlled radiator. Worked a treat.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Talisman

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 02:51:05 am »

I went through this dilemma last winter, admittedly this year is easier but given the severity of last year my conclusion was infra red heaters as it was the actual hull (grp moulding) that needed a constant heat not me.
Gas is great but cost a bit to get the whole area up to Temp. Gas is not great when using chemicals with low flash points!!

Talisman

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 02:54:29 am »

Gas is great but cost a bit to get the whole area up to Temp. Gas is not great when using chemicals with low flash points!!
[/quote]

Blimey, here i go with the old stealth a safety again ..
regards
Kim

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 02:48:29 pm »

Hi all, I was working out average electricity cost and it comes out at about 13p per kilowatt per hour.

I use a 2 KW convector heater from 1963 (wedding present) and I made a separate thermostat control from bits and added in a crouzet hour counter.  All bits from the spares box.  It has worked for the last 18 years almost to the day.  Completed and occupied on Christmas eve 1993.
Has been moved once to current abode in 2004.

The hour counter is at 4721 hours so multiplied by the 2KW heater this comes to 9442 KW hours @ 13p per KW hour (todays prices)  totals £1227 divide by 18 years = £68 per year for heating.

Workshop is 12' x 8' x 8' to apex of roof.  Half inch thick wood cladding and roof floor boards that can be walked on.  Roof also insulated with a Hardboard covering painted white to reflect light downwards.

Inside, take off 2 inches per side, all surfaces are insulated with 1 1/2 inch thick insulating material and then clad, the several windows are all double glazed (surprisingly cheap).

I don't know how much time I have actually spent in the workshop, but maybe a guess at 1000 hours per year would be about right.
On reflection judging from my output a lot of that must have been thinking time!  This is the first time I have worked this out!
regards Roy

hover tim

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 04:09:41 pm »

Hello all

after having a looking at it today i think its destined for the local tip ,After looking about i can get a new Gas heater for £63 i am going to contact local places and see if they will price match.So another Gas hear it is i have never had any probs with moisture thanks for all the posts guys it was very helpful.

Tim   

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 05:07:53 pm »

A couple of cheap blue chinese esc's should heat things up nicely too  %)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.