Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem members - location.  (Read 59429 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Could Members Please Include Some Form Of Location in Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2010, 12:51:21 pm »

The reason for this request is very simple.
At this moment out of the latest 3 sales adverts there is only 1 location.
As you are aware Mayhen is an international forum so in theory the boats for sale could be anywhere in the world.
This is also true for posts about help.
Nothing sinister, nothing conspiratorial just helping mayhem do what we do best, help each other.

Simples!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Roger in France

« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2010, 01:59:06 pm »

Yes, we do explain to new Members when they join why we recommend a general location, such as "London" or in my case "Dept. 85, La Vendee".

I personally send a welcome message to each new Member when they register which includes that advice,  a potted version of the Mayhem Rules, an expression of the Mayhem ethos and some advice about starting out on this Forum.

We do not send an automated message preferring to personalise it when possible. For example, for new Members from the antipodes or the orient who give a location I point out we have Moderators who live there. A location also allows us to tell new |Members about clubs nearbye in case they are interested.

I have had some slight problems sending the messages recently which have now been resolved. If any new Member could not read their message they may like to contact me.

Roger in France

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2010, 05:59:20 pm »

On the contrary, you are allowing someone to connect a large stream of information which can be harvested from Mayhem with other streams of information about you which they can find from other sources. This may not be an issue for you at all, but it may be an issue for others who may occasionally be involved in, shall we say, more dodgy undertakings.... %) %)

But a name is not an issue here - a location is. A major reason for my attending Mayhem rather than some other board is the lack of tight regulation - some require a precise address to be offered. While I could simply lie, I would prefer not to be associated with a group which feels that this is an acceptable requirement.

In my experience people are very happy to comply with sensible requests if the reasons are explained at the time. In this case a problem only arises if someone asks for help, directions or some other geographically-related request. It is simple to point out at registration time that including a general geographical area enables these requests to be fulfilled (do you do this already?) and that if someone does not want to put this information in their profile they should remember to include a general location in the message text whenever they make such a request....
You may well be correct here, but what's the answer? I, like others on this forum, sort of instinctively respond to requests for help. Some responses generate replies, others don't. For myself, I tend to treat people as trustworthy until shown to be otherwise...too late by then I suppose. But I'm not going to go through the rest of my life distrusting everyone "just in case". What an awful thought!. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2010, 06:44:27 pm »

You're right Bryan, that would make for a sad life.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2010, 11:04:09 pm »

Yes, we do explain to new Members when they join why we recommend a general location, such as "London" or in my case "Dept. 85, La Vendee".

I personally send a welcome message to each new Member when they register which includes that advice,  a potted version of the Mayhem Rules, an expression of the Mayhem ethos and some advice about starting out on this Forum.

We do not send an automated message preferring to personalise it when possible. For example, for new Members from the antipodes or the orient who give a location I point out we have Moderators who live there. A location also allows us to tell new |Members about clubs nearbye in case they are interested.

I have had some slight problems sending the messages recently which have now been resolved. If any new Member could not read their message they may like to contact me.

Roger in France

A newbie confirming same.
10 out of 10 :-)) :-)) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2010, 11:39:01 pm »

but it may be an issue for others who may occasionally be involved in, shall we say, more dodgy undertakings.

DG, given your user name, does this include you???? :o {-)

Seriously, though, I'm curious as to what the "large stream of information" which could be "harvested from Mayhem" might consist of?

I agree completely with Bryan Young, if I was to go through life distrusting everyone and every thing, I'd be an even more miserable old git then I am now :D

Peter.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2010, 11:48:07 pm »

I must agree with Peter.
Shipmate60 (Bob) in Southampton, it doesnt seem to give much away.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2010, 11:53:02 pm »

Maybe some would use all the info as a ready made data base for selling products such as zimmer frames and medical products used by the over 60s oh and  and saga insurance.
 {-) {-) {-)

%%Peter %%

er this is meant as a joke by the way

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2010, 01:48:47 am »

That's enough, loose lips sink ships  O0 O0 O0 thought that was important for Boat forum  :-)) :-)) :-))

They seek me here they seek me there they will never find me anyhow cause I am lost.

All you will get out of me is my number, rank and name oops  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:  >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< <:( <:(
 {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Double D

« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2010, 06:20:49 pm »

"Don't tell him your name Pike"

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2010, 09:12:31 am »

Maybe some would use all the info as a ready made data base for selling products such as zimmer frames and medical products used by the over 60s

Perhaps you've hit on a great business opportunity O0 :D

Peter.

gunner-sparkie

Re: Mayhem members - location.
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2011, 02:54:13 am »

:-)Hi guys , as a new member i have put my location in , and have no probs with that , :-))cya all on the forums ....

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2011, 08:23:18 am »

Hi Guys, I think the amount of information that anyone could collect here is just as easily found on Google. I get 800 # calls all the time, sometimes 4/5 a day, one press of the on/off button fixes that. I am with you guys I am not going to end my days being suspicious of everything. Remember when I asked what members did in real life, I think I got nearly 100 honest replies.( at least I think they were all honest). Mick B. 
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2011, 01:03:49 pm »

Hi Folks

I took part in Mick B's what do you do thread - was honest, not worried. Mayhem never shows any financial info
but one thing I would say that does surprise me is when people post up their holiday arrangements on an open board.

Re a very general location - why not just make it a mandatory field?

Dave

Just popping out to Halfords for an hour or two, spare house key is by back door under pot, alarm code 1234, dog doesn't bite   :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2011, 04:44:52 pm »

".... dog doesn't bite"   

Yes it @#$%@# does!!!  Ouch!   >>:-(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

The long Build

« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2011, 04:52:06 pm »

Hi Folks

I took part in Mick B's what do you do thread - was honest, not worried. Mayhem never shows any financial info
but one thing I would say that does surprise me is when people post up their holiday arrangements on an open board.

Re a very general location - why not just make it a mandatory field?

Dave

Just popping out to Halfords for an hour or two, spare house key is by back door under pot, alarm code 1234, dog doesn't bite   :-))

nice try we all know its really 4321

Patrick Henry

« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »

If I knew where you were I'd run you out a plaster...

Rich

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2011, 08:26:06 pm »

Hi Dave you just want your dog fed for free. Mick B.
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2011, 09:06:16 pm »

It really is funny when you take the time to look at where people live, mine says Canada, only the second largest country in the world. I live in the city of Calgary just 60 miles east of the Rocky Mountains. The city is over 550 Sq. miles in area, 1.3 million people live here besides me/partner & our two dogs We are(city & me too) 3500ft. above sea level. The province we live in is called Alberta & is much larger than England, Scotland & Wales combined. Our southern border is the USA(state of Montana) west is British Columbia & the Pacific ocean(Vancouver), a journey of 1000km & about ten hours of driving. We have 55 mountain peaks in the province that exceed 11,000ft. The province stretches 700mls north from the US border. Anywhere we go we can usually cover a distance of 60/65 miles in an hour. We generally talk of how far some place is in time rather than miles/ km's. One hour's drive is 65 miles. Back to the city, it is divided into 4 quadrants, I live in the north west & can be out of the city going west in about ten minutes. I hope this gives you a better idea or picture of where I live. If anyone on here would like more in-fro about here just PM me. It is one of the best holiday destinations in North America, the best months are June to September. The scenery is out of this world. We also have the highest pass in Canada at 7250ft above sea level. Everything is large scale here. Mick B. = So folks that is where I live how about you ?. 
Mick B.

NottsRog

« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2011, 09:26:02 pm »

Well I hope my 'name' gives the location away !,  srely couldnt get much clearer %)

nhp651

« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2011, 09:36:04 pm »

It really is funny when you take the time to look at where people live, mine says Canada, only the second largest country in the world. I live in the city of Calgary just 60 miles east of the Rocky Mountains. The city is over 550 Sq. miles in area, 1.3 million people live here besides me/partner & our two dogs We are(city & me too) 3500ft. above sea level. The province we live in is called Alberta & is much larger than England, Scotland & Wales combined. Our southern border is the USA(state of Montana) west is British Columbia & the Pacific ocean(Vancouver), a journey of 1000km & about ten hours of driving. We have 55 mountain peaks in the province that exceed 11,000ft. The province stretches 700mls north from the US border. Anywhere we go we can usually cover a distance of 60/65 miles in an hour. We generally talk of how far some place is in time rather than miles/ km's. One hour's drive is 65 miles. Back to the city, it is divided into 4 quadrants, I live in the north west & can be out of the city going west in about ten minutes. I hope this gives you a better idea or picture of where I live. If anyone on here would like more in-fro about here just PM me. It is one of the best holiday destinations in North America, the best months are June to September. The scenery is out of this world. We also have the highest pass in Canada at 7250ft above sea level. Everything is large scale here. Mick B. = So folks that is where I live how about you ?.  
you live in what sounds like paradise, matey, you are going on your holls too paradise next week.what more could you want....you lucky chap.
when you coming back to blighty, there's always a warm greeting in a cold damp Fleetwood for you, and a coffee or a pint o' the black stuff if you wish.
Enjoy yorself in Hawaii and don't get too sunburnt.....you lucky lad.
merry christmas mate, and hear from you when you get back.
neil.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2011, 09:58:32 pm »

Where are you going in Hawaii, we had a great holiday in Kona earlier this year.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2011, 10:42:56 pm »

We don't like to skite but you can't beat down under.
Just a sample at random, Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast, we also have a Gold Coast in Queensland and lots of points in between from North to South.

in South, Bells beach Victoria

And in between enough said 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2011, 10:47:27 pm »

I would love to go to Australia .................but your many and various Spiders bothers me too much.

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2011, 10:59:54 pm »

And killer whales, and snakes....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.