Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: When Anchors Fail - Rev.1.  (Read 8568 times)

amdaylight

Re: When Anchors Fail - Rev.1.
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 02:14:38 pm »

What you want is the anchor to lay flat on the bottom so the flukes can bite in to the bottom, when I had my full size sail boat the first 25' were chain and the rest was rope. If I was worried about the anchorage I would do the same thing that they used to do in the time of sail with a large ship and that is to put a second anchor at the end of the chain who's whole job was to make sure that the chain laid flat on the bottom and the pull on the main anchor was kept parallel to the bottom. You get in to problems when the anchor line or chain starts to put an upward pull on the anchor and the flukes come out of the bottom.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 08:01:52 pm »

That is a good answer for when ships had anchor "cables" made of rope. A second anchor was needed to hold the first.
It is also a good time to wonder why a socking great studded chain is called a "cable". And also to wonder why some ropes are "cable-laid" and others are not. Something to do with twisting I think.  But then there is a dichotomy. You can anchor with a "cable", but you lay it out in "shackles". "How much cable is there out?" ...."5 shackles...(.or whatever".). A cable is a finite length. A "shackle" is a finite length.They are not the same. Work it out for yourself!
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 08:26:24 pm »

The line you are referring to is called Octoplait when used on yachts. It doesn't twist and will not get tangled up when flaked down. Lovely stuff. So nice that I kept mine when I sold the boat!

Colin

amdaylight

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 08:41:45 pm »

That is a good answer for when ships had anchor "cables" made of rope. A second anchor was needed to hold the first.
It is also a good time to wonder why a socking great studded chain is called a "cable". And also to wonder why some ropes are "cable-laid" and others are not. Something to do with twisting I think.  But then there is a dichotomy. You can anchor with a "cable", but you lay it out in "shackles". "How much cable is there out?" ...."5 shackles...(.or whatever".). A cable is a finite length. A "shackle" is a finite length.They are not the same. Work it out for yourself!

As Tevye sang in "Fiddler on the Roof" TRADITION  O0 O0

Andre

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 10:47:46 pm »

What you want is the anchor to lay flat on the bottom so the flukes can bite in to the bottom, when I had my full size sail boat the first 25' were chain and the rest was rope. If I was worried about the anchorage I would do the same thing that they used to do in the time of sail with a large ship and that is to put a second anchor at the end of the chain who's whole job was to make sure that the chain laid flat on the bottom and the pull on the main anchor was kept parallel to the bottom. You get in to problems when the anchor line or chain starts to put an upward pull on the anchor and the flukes come out of the bottom.

Andre

Use of a second anchor  is common in offshore operations in poor holding ground; commonly known as a 'piggy-back anchor'.

Barry M

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 12:51:06 pm »

The remains of the Fedra as of yesterday.... some of the hull is in port.

nhp651

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 12:59:33 pm »

NEXT stop ,Vauxhall for  a new Corsa or two.lol
the power of the sea. <:(
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.