Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Vanguard Build  (Read 28958 times)

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Vanguard Build
« on: December 19, 2008, 01:25:36 pm »

Well here we go, I've had a year off from building & am rearing to go!

I picked up the Hull  (OTW) & fittings last night - thanks Hugh, & have begun putting the WTC together.

Detailed info is hard to come by, but I'm building Vanguard as she is now, so if anyone has any info' I'd be grateful (Ramesh??!!).
Ballst system will be a water pump - tried & tested in the Sheerline boats & very reliable.
I'll post updates as I go on.
Heres a couple of pictures of the WTC in production - it's a larger version of the ones I made for the Revell Gato as featured in Paul Cook's article in MMI last year.
My Alpha had Perspex caps but I prefer resin as it's easier to machine & I find it's easier to get hold of.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: HMS Vanguard Build
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »

I don't have any specific info other than pictures available on the net as I have never investigated the class to build one. Andy might be the one to gleen Vanguard info, he has one on the go as well.

Do you cast the resin caps or start with cylindrical block of resin and then cut the grooves for the oring, and what type of resin do you use? You've either got a very big boom box or that WTC looks fairly short, whats the length?

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 05:27:37 pm »

I cast a block then turn it down, that way I can custom fit them to the tube - it takes about 2 hours to cast & turn 4 caps.

Yeh, it's a big boom box, but that is the WTC from my Alpha, the Vanguard one is abot 550mm long, I've got capacity for 1.5ltrs water. I've weighed the top & the fittings, I need about 1kg to dive her, so, allowing for air storage, I should be ok.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 06:49:35 pm »

If your cylinder is below the waterline you should get away with about 700-800ml for full trim- this boat has a very high freeboard. GRP is about 1.5-1.8 times the density of water owing to the glass content. Therefore weight can be a bit misleading for calculating ballast tank sizes .

In my case, I'm using 110mm PVC pipe for the module, and it's about 40" long. The cylinder is about 10mm above the waterline so I need about 1600 ml to dive. The extra bouyancy should result in a more stable boat on the water, but your will probably dive a bit quicker, and be lighter to lug about!

I'm making two piston tanks of 1 litre each for diving controlled by proportional controllers. I laminated GRP onto a turned wax former to make 80mm internal diameter piston tanks. This worked well enough, but it was very time consuming.

I've got a lot of pictures of the Vanguard (although more are always welcome), also some nice pictures of the OTW Vanguard that Dave built for a client in the States.

The OTW sail is too tall.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:24:53 pm »

Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:27:55 pm »

HMS Vengence showing the new flank sonar array

Davie Tait,
Scotland

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 08:55:32 pm »

Okay davie's beat me to it!

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:31:30 pm »

Thats all of the ones I can find , most are ones linked to on Subpirates the others ones I've found online. If I find any more i'll put them up here
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 10:49:49 pm »

Cheers for the pictures, Are you intending to replicate the tiles? I'm tempted, but not sure where you'd start.

If i get any info - I have my sources! - I will likewise share, but possibly by pm.

Andy,  how far on are you?

TCC

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 01:05:58 am »

I always thought this was a good image:

and crop:

Happy modelling.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 03:56:45 pm »

Not very. Cylinder done, all the resin pieces cleaned up and ready to fit. One piston tank is 80% done, tech rack drawn out. I have to make a conical front section, otherwise my C.B will be out of whack with the C.G.

BTW the OTW tower/sail is about 8mm too tall. I recommend the Jecobin plans if you don't have them already.

Here's a picture of the Vanguard Dave worked up. You can make out the tile detail- he did this with an airbrush sprayed through some netting. looks nice and subtle.

Andy

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 04:34:44 pm »

Not got a resin set - only the control surfaces, I'll fabricate the rest, I like the idea for the tiles - I've done simliar on Tanks & planes, so I think it will be Charcoal base & Tamiya Nato block over sprayed, from the pictures they seem quite grey, but I''ll have a word with the boy when he gets home in March.

I think I'll have to get the Jecobin plans as well.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 04:44:14 pm »

That's all I've got too, but they're reworked. There are quite big differences between Dave's and the OTW versions. The rear dive vanes are quite a bit larger, chiefly the moveable part. The lower rudder is bigger (this boat needs all the help it can get), and the ends of the rudder are curvy like the original. It won't be that difficult to modify the existing parts to reflect the changes.

Andy

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 04:58:44 pm »

I remember Chris Cloke suggesting that Trafalgar owners fit the top Rudder on the keel to improve turning, but I found that if you keep the speed down & the Battery weight under the WTC, the problem is managable, I had an Ohio, turned like a super tanker on the surface, but on a penny under water, all nukes are the same I think - Prop behind the control surfaces doesn't help!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 05:16:36 pm »

Makes sense, you only have 50% or less of the rudder area in the water on the surface. I think the Vanguard is as good as it gets for a modern bomber boat in terms of agility, it's got to be better than an Ohio, which has smaller control surfaces, although no fixed shroud to fight the rudder.

With my boat, it's getting two piston tanks positioned about 16" apart either side of the C.G. In between these will sit the main battery pack, which will be either Ni-MH's or possibly Lithium, as they're getting a lot cheaper now and I like the easy maintenance of these batteries.

The boat will run a 24 volt system. I have two very nice 24v Pittman motors with compact planetary gearboxes for the piston tanks, and a Premotec (Phillips motor division) 24 volt motor for the main drive. This pulls the propulsor round effortlessly direct drive at about 1800RPM. Judging by the way it churned up the bucket of water I was testing it in, it should push the boat along well- finger crossed.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 09:45:26 pm »

Decided to start with my WTC, I'm sticking to my tried & tested water pump system as installed in nearly all the boats I've ever made.
This is the finished item in the Revell Gato, only real difference is that there is no facility to pinch the water tube - the pump runs off of an ESC.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 09:48:05 pm »

First job, make the End Caps, I cast 2 part Resin blanks & then turn them up on the Lathe,

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 09:52:31 pm »

The perspex is the Baffles for the Ballast Tank, turned down to 5mm smaller than the internal diameter of the tube.

I've gone for internal rods to hold it all together, like this I can access the internals at each end & avoid having to take it all apart - it's the only moan I've ever had about Chris's Sheerline System - Sorry Chris!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 11:23:36 am »

Just run some nuts up either end of the ballast tank to stop the rods from pulling out.

dan

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 12:58:13 pm »

hi subculture,
is that a metal turning lathe or wood. im guessing you could turn resin on a wood lathe?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 01:54:13 pm »

You should be asking Paul (Turbulent) his thread, not mine. However that is a metal working lathe.

Plastics will turn okay on a wood lathe, providing you can find a reasonable means of holding the piece.

dan

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 03:12:45 pm »

You should be asking Paul (Turbulent) his thread, not mine

sorry i miss read it  :embarrassed:  but thanks for the info  :-))

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 08:55:08 pm »

Not much in the way of progress so far this holiday, the Ballast tank is now complete, baffles installed & Ends fitted etc, next will be Tech' trays to the Front & rear compartments.

I've decided to put the motor in a seperate WTC to free up space in the rear.

Looking for Pictures of the Towed array on the stern now, I'm intending to make a start on the boat & alternate between internals & externals.

Will post pictures of progress later in the week.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 11:40:46 am »

Pictures of Progress so Far - Tank holds 1.5 lts water - so about a kilo of Ballast, if I need more I will vent the tank to an external holding cylinder in the bow.

Water Pump is standard Car washer pump with the large intake - this is essential to allow the tank to empty quickly under it's own pressure - it will run on a switch, so no reverse.

Tech trays will be mounted on Brass tube & fit over the threaded rods.

Haven't decided on what to do about the Bow planes, experience with other boats shows they have very limited practical effect so I may not connect them up, if I do the it may be easier to mount the Servo in it's own box in the upper hull.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.