Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Vanguard Build  (Read 28955 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: HMS Vanguard Build
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 02:01:11 pm »

Dave said they worked well on the boat he built up.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 08:39:17 pm »

Bit more progress today, Fwd & Aft Tech trays made & Fwd section fitted out & Tested.
ESC to go in for the main Drive & Power in Sockets to be drilled into the End Cap.
After Section will hold the Rudder & Control surface Servos along with the Reciever & the Leveller & power output to the motor - Standard 540.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 05:14:49 pm »

The perspex is the Baffles for the Ballast Tank, turned down to 5mm smaller than the internal diameter of the tube.

I've gone for internal rods to hold it all together, like this I can access the internals at each end & avoid having to take it all apart - it's the only moan I've ever had about Chris's Sheerline System - Sorry Chris!

My choice is a personal one & in no way reflects badly on the sheerline / Eden design, which gives superb watertight capabilities, it just make taking the unit apart a little more fiddly, becausse by default both ends open together.

The long Build

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 05:51:30 pm »

Hi
Where do yo get the clear perspex tubing from ?

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 06:01:31 pm »

Ebay - loads on there mate.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 02:41:58 pm »

Still working on the Control surfaces, fitted the original ones, then spoke to Bob at OTW & ordered a new set!

Pictures of progress to follow.

Detail photos of these boats are rarer than hen's teeth!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2009, 03:22:05 pm »

Did you order a new tower too?

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2009, 04:01:55 pm »

No, but I've been on Dave's site looking at his CABAL reports for the Vanguard, so I might be temted

I'm going to tile it with evergreen though, but dont know how far to take it, I'll have a better idea after my trip up to Glasgow at the end of the month.

Also decided to wire up the front planes.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2009, 06:57:27 pm »

As I mentioned before, it's a bit too tall. It should be about 7-8mm lower, which doesn't sound a lot but the difference is noticeable. If you slice the top off, and cut it down abit then add a new top from GRP sheet , blend in and re-scribe, you'll be there near as damn it.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2009, 11:52:25 pm »

So do the new Vangaurd kits now come with new planes and tower as per Dave M?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 10:04:17 am »

Bob would be the best person to answer that, but I'd be surprised if they're still supplying the old versions. The tower is a more sophisticated affair, being made of three pieces and pressure cast in PU resin. I wonder if Bob supplies it like that, or if it's a more conventional one piece affair.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 01:38:17 pm »

just got the new Control surfaces from Bob, superb mouldings on Stainless pins, the detail is far superior to the originals, the old one have been ripped off in prep' for these to be fitted.

Struggling with the Motor box at the moment, I've decided to fit it in it's own box / Tube but struggling with the stuffing box.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 05:00:08 pm »

Yeah Dave did a good job, the rear planes are quite a bit large in area than the originals too, which should help agility.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 09:48:14 am »

just got the new Control surfaces from Bob, superb mouldings on Stainless pins, the detail is far superior to the originals, the old ones have been ripped off in prep' for these to be fitted.

Struggling with the Motor box at the moment, I've decided to fit it in it's own box / Tube but struggling with the stuffing box.

Propulsor has been fitted - this is a lovely moulding.

Next job is to fit the new planes, lower the conning tower & sort the Motor Box out.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:26 pm »

Nice, I am at almost the same stage with the motorbox. I am using a 4mm Simmering seal press fitted into an aluminium bracket that mounts the motor. I used the design fromthe Engel item that comes with the Lafayette and it worked really well in Akula.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 10:52:18 am »

Propulsor has been fitted - this is a lovely moulding.   

How good / efficient are these multi multi props on models? they look like good bubble bath machines?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009, 12:13:47 pm »

Surprisingly they are quite effecient & running well, they do Cavitate quite badly if you sit to high on the surface but the one on the Trafalgar (Sheerline) was very efficient & smooth when dived.

They look the nuts as well!

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 12:17:05 pm »

Nice, I am at almost the same stage with the motorbox. I am using a 4mm Simmering seal press fitted into an aluminium bracket that mounts the motor. I used the design fromthe Engel item that comes with the Lafayette and it worked really well in Akula.

I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, 540 motor house in PVC tube with 2 cast end caps, a Simple Stuffing box made from Alli' tube thread each end to compress O rings down onto the shaft. The only tricky bit is securing the motor to the end cap. Pic's top follow.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 09:36:37 am »

Finally got the motor housing finished - not as Tary as Mankster's but still the same sort of concept.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:06 pm »

After messing with my Gato to increase the ballast tank capacity & fit a pinch valve to the pump, I've finally got a bit of Progress on the V.

Aft Planes are now fitted & Motor box has been fixed in place.
After the experiences with my Alpha, I've decided to cut the aft section from the top Hull & fix to the lower half & after speaking to Bob @ OTW, I will also cut the bow section away just aft of the dive planes - I've decided to connect them up.

After having a look at the real thing, I've decided against putting the tile detail on, instead I will pick out the hull scribings by dry brushing & adding a scum line, this was very noticable at 1/1 scale - approx 1 foot of off white - Sorry no picks on account of I might have been shot!

Finally back on track to have her in the water for early May.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009, 01:30:58 pm »

Bit more done over the weekend.

1. Once I'd cut the Bow & stern away from the top hull & fitted a lip to the stern, I had to infill at the bow to make up for the saw cuts, I'm following a principle I saw someone use to improve the hull join on a U47 a couple of years ago. I've fitted Plasticard to lift out section & then slid an additional piece into the gap & tacked that with Cyno to the bow section. The resulting gap will the be fill & hopefuly result in a clean join  Total time spent, about an hour - this is made easy by probably the best hull I've ever worked on, my Metcalf P Boat took days of rubbing & filling to achieve anything like as good a job.

Next job in this area is to fit a locking bolt - probably a counter sunk machine bolt in the keel.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 01:38:25 pm »

I've also managed to rig the Batteries & WTC mounts today.

Batteries are 2000MAH Nicads rigged to 12 volts (10 Cells), sealed in shrink tube & Mastic at each end.
This is the same system I retro fitted into my Trafalgar & posted on here, it is also similar to Sheerlines fit in the Type II & Trafalgar & as I've said before was an inspired bit of thinking by Mr Cloke as you have all your weight as low as possible & all your bouyancy as high as possible making for a very stable boat, the difference before & after on my T Boat was sinply unbelievable & I would go for this set up when I can squeze it in.

2000mah may be a little low, but charging takes about 30 minutes & if I'm still not happy then upgrading the batteries is relatively simple.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 10:23:41 pm »

Got a bit more done tonight, time to start on the exterior.

I've opened up the vents on the casing, I wanted to get a nice clean finish to the edges so here's what i;ve Done

1. Open up the hole slightly oversize & fix Gauze to the back.
2. Form frames from plasticard on a simple Jig on my Router
3. Insert the frames over the Gauze & Fill out with P38.

Once they've had another rub down & final got of model filler they will blend in quite well.

I've also begun opening up the flooding ports in the keel & will get all this dirty work done over the weekend, so hopefully start painting next week.

Also hoping for a new ESC to arrive so the WTC can be finally put together & secured above the batteries.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 07:53:26 pm »

After a good few hours today she's starting to come together.
Today I've fitted 4mm Locating pins in the lower hull to locate to the upper section, to be honest the quality of the join is already superb but this should help in the long term & avoid any significant warp.

The WTC was finally centred up & locating plates fitted each end - 4mm Lexan -  & the Velcro strap installed. I've used this method on all of my subs & it never lets me down - the straps are made from ties bought from B&Q - about a fiver for 6.

Last job inside was to give it the obligortary coat of black.

The outer hull has had it's final "trash" coat of grey primer & painting will follow the final rub down this week.

I struggled with a method of hold down the Fwd section untill I saw an OTW Upholder build thread on the Sub Pirate Forum & have simply copied his method. When everything is complete, the Tag end will be reduced &  hopefully become very discreet - a little artistic licence may call for a small dome of some sorts!

Just waiting for the arrival of an ESC - I've blown my Last Ripmax one up! - also looking for a leveller but will probably sail her initially without.
Painting is next

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2009, 09:43:07 am »

Coming along nicely, I really have to get my but into get now grt mine ready for the summer...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.