Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Vanguard Build  (Read 28957 times)

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Vanguard Build
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 12:44:32 pm »

Got some time off work now, So the end is in sight.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2009, 05:02:45 pm »

Finally got her all put together & a base coat of Matt Black Paint onto her -  then after trimming tomorrow at the pond on sunday - she's to big for the bath -  it will be oversprayed with Charcoal to tone down the finish, add the scum line & a bit of weathering.

Final Job will be to add a couple of masts - Diesel Snort + 1

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2009, 06:32:06 pm »

Finished, weathered & sailing well.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2009, 06:33:01 pm »

more..

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2009, 09:25:26 pm »

Nice one :-)) Can you show some close up of the scum line/weathering?

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2009, 12:02:15 pm »

There you go

Although it doesnt look much dry, in the water it really has come out well, I'll put some better pic's on next time I sail her.

Not sure if I've posted it before but here's my method for achieving the water  / scum line.

Float her in the bath, leave to steady & add Talcum powder to the water, surface tension will pull it to the boat's hull.

CAREFULLY lift the boat from the water & you're left with a perfect waterline, simply mark with a pencil & wipe off the excess talc'
Mask up when dry, & to avoid any paint bleeding overspary with your hull colour, then add light coats of greys, greens, browns untill you're happy, I try to feather the paint out to loose any sharp lines going down the hull to the keel.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2009, 09:23:22 pm »

Short video of HMS Vanguard....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D3zdtZoiVY

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2009, 08:35:45 pm »

Looks good, but it won't win any steering competitions will it! What was the throttle setting there, looks like it was just creeping along.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 09:56:04 pm »

Cranked it right down so it can really creep, this run was without a leveller & she hovers!!
Run slow like this she handles really well & should be better now that a leveller's been fitted.
You're right about the turning circle though, shocking on the surface but much better submerged, same old story though, if you knock off the power in the turn things get better, interestingly, very little lift in the bow when turning submerged.

Albion

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2009, 06:23:57 am »

Float her in the bath, leave to steady & add Talcum powder to the water, surface tension will pull it to the boat's hull.

CAREFULLY lift the boat from the water & you're left with a perfect waterline, simply mark with a pencil & wipe off the excess talc'
Mask up when dry, & to avoid any paint bleeding overspary with your hull colour, then add light coats of greys, greens, browns untill you're happy, I try to feather the paint out to loose any sharp lines going down the hull to the keel.
so is that talc oversprayed with a clear cote?

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2009, 10:53:32 am »

The Talc is purely to "mark the waterline" once this is permanantly marked with a pencil you need to wipe the talc off & build up the scum line with Paint

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2009, 08:51:53 pm »

Hi Turb, I just had a quick thought, might be rubbish but let me run it past you. I never did the talc thing before, but I imagine it looks quite good before you mark off and wipe the stuff off the hull. Would a light dusting of satin or matt varnish actually seal the talc to the hull when it dries, thereby eliminating the marking and painting  process or does it simply look like what it is... a talcum powder line?
Don't all laugh at once please, the sound will be deafening!

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2009, 09:30:51 pm »

I nearly voiced the same theory in my last reply!
However, I think it would maybe be a bit "To White" & maybe it would be a bit bumpy - although on larger boats  it may work,  but i may test it out on an old hull - got a spare hull I can experiment on??!!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2009, 09:54:11 pm »

No spare hulls I'm afraid Turb, haven't made a 'bandsaw' hull for quite a while now. They only ever occurred when my gelcoat went off and i was having nightmares till I found out what the the problem was. Got rid of a couple of Traf tops at noth weald last year though, sold them off as defective to a couple of blokes who wanted waterline models.
Anyway, great minds think alike and I wasn't on my own in thinking this might be a waterline option. This has got the cogs going round here a bit and I am thinking of options to talc, perhaps using coloured powders in the test tank..... hmmmmm.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2009, 10:09:52 pm »

At least you have the luxury of a decent sized test tank,

The old fella's Ukula is up for a respray so I might twist his arm & give it a go on that!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2009, 10:29:27 pm »

Akula eh, thats going to leave a very interesting scum line on the bath then!  {-)

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2009, 10:12:52 pm »

The boats been on / off the water for a couple of months now, & after a full evaluation I've made a couple of changes, upped the batteries to 4amh D cells, beefed up the ESC after blowing the MTroniks one with a natty little 75amp job from the land of the rising sun. Oh & fitted one of Mike's little levellers.

She sails well & looks the part on & under the water, After speaking to the Oracle (number 1 son) I have upped the weathering a bit, although he reckons I could up it again by about 50%, especially below the waterline.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2009, 11:56:16 pm »

Nice work and looks the bizz  :-))

What did you use for the green on the water line as it looks pretty darn good!

Voyager

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2009, 06:17:10 pm »

Green ink Acrylic paint  (Warhammer) airbrushed on as a final coat

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2009, 05:43:43 pm »

Many thanks for that info, will keep an eye out for one of those shops.

Voyager

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2009, 09:13:58 pm »

Poxy Boat! >>:-(

ESC failed again this weekend, even with a new Motor, but all was not lost, I was in the presence of the Great & the good at the NMBC Sub Regatta at Norwich & it was suggested that the problem was likely to be the BEC getting overloaded.

To cure this I've now installed a seperate BEC  - thanks Andy / Ramesh for the advice - & touch wood it looks to have cured the issues. We shall see...

Any more problems and........ <*< <*<

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2009, 10:37:15 pm »

Now now Turb, retain the cranium, you will get there in the end. There were a few esc failures this weekend, the smell of death hung over the pondside when the wtc's were opened up. At least only your BEC which failed, I have a dive unit on my bench which looks like it is still full of smoke... it's resin staining!
Hats off and bowed heads for that poor chaps esc! <:(
 Going to open the unit up tomorrow... outside in the yard!!

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2009, 07:10:24 pm »

Now now Turb, retain the cranium, you will get there in the end. There were a few esc failures this weekend, the smell of death hung over the pondside when the wtc's were opened up. At least only your BEC which failed, I have a dive unit on my bench which looks like it is still full of smoke... it's resin staining!
Hats off and bowed heads for that poor chaps esc! <:(
 Going to open the unit up tomorrow... outside in the yard!!

Yes, it could have been worse, I just think I've built myself a Friday boat!

Anyone from Action etc want to come up with a new sound unit for a large Alpha?

"Fire Fire Fire, Fire in the fwd compartment, close all watertight doors, prepare to surface & vent the boat"!!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2009, 07:54:24 pm »

I didn't see the ESC you had in your Vanguard. I recall you mentioning it was a Ripmax model, was it this one-

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=P-XTRA-NOLIMIT&selectedtab=060&Category=060-050

Only has a 1A BEC, and that just isn't enough for a boat running four servos, you need a 2A BEC for subs ideally. Can get away with 1.5A if your servos move freely with little binding.

Anyway, you should be fine now you have that little 3A switch mode BEC.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2009, 05:02:52 pm »

Poxy Boat! >>:-(

ESC failed again this weekend, even with a new Motor, but all was not lost, I was in the presence of the Great & the good at the NMBC Sub Regatta at Norwich & it was suggested that the problem was likely to be the BEC getting overloaded.

To cure this I've now installed a seperate BEC  - thanks Andy / Ramesh for the advice - & touch wood it looks to have cured the issues. We shall see...

Any more problems and........ <*< <*<

Here it is installed in the aft compartment.
The final pic shows the red "live wire on the ESC reciever plug cut through to disable the built in BEC
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.