Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Model shops in your Town or Area  (Read 14411 times)

Stavros

Model shops in your Town or Area
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:46:06 pm »

Right then I think this would be good for the ones that travel all over the country (like me) who like to have a look around and see what is available to them.I see from th other thread of shop or internet that most of you a re saying that there are shops within eg 30 Min's away so I go on to that persons profile and it is blank,so start on here post which shops they are and which towns they are in.

Hobby Exchange............................Greenfield North Wales                                                            40 miles away
Hobby Corner ...............................Hobby Corner Wrexsam N Wales                                                50 miles away
Steve Webb Models ......................Frodsham                                                                               70 miles away

Stavros

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Model shops in your Town or Area
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:06:11 am »

Hi Dave.

Is that small one is Rhos-on-Sea still going? Corner of Rhos Road and Promenade.
Started last year.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John C

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:33:17 am »

I have a 30 minute minimum journey time to my nearest shop which is in York, they are mainly railway although they do have timber, fittings and a few marine kits.
I generally make the trip to Leeds which is an hour and half round trip (without time spent in shop). They are one of the few shops around that seem to expand every time I go in, big double fronted shop on 2 flloors with a good selection of fittings and materials for the marine builder. The model shop in Crossgates if your passing, easy on street parking right out front.
Scarborough also has 2 model shops and another one in Hull which seems to cram a lot in.
Like Stavros I travel about a bit in the summer months and find it useful to check out the local phone books for model shops.

John

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 10:02:20 am »

Redbank Models in blackpool, is 10 minutes away, or if you fancy a drive, there is a good model shop catering reasonably well for all tastes on the North side of Lancaster, I think it's called Castle Models as it used to be under the walls of Lancaster castle but moved some time ago. :-))

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 10:10:10 am »

for me the nearest is MANTUA models in Windsor - as the name suggests they're the UK agent for Mantua, - good little shop good service and happy to order all sorts for you if possible for them to do so

the alternatives are europe/ asia models in maidenhead ( predominantly RC cars but ok for paints adhesives and sundries)
then there is Slough RC models - basically  a model aircraft shop but also ok for basic sundries too
and finally apex models in crowthorne- again lots of car stuff, but also cut price radios and sundries,
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:24:48 am »

If you're in Canada, check out Hobbies and Beyond in Lindsay, Ontario. For here, its a very well equipped hobby store. It covers a wide range of hobbies including boats ,R/C and static. We have a fairly large boating contingent and R/C aircraft mob in the area, so the owner tries to keep a stock of each.

http://www.hobbiesandbeyond.ca/

Although I do have a degree of prejudice, since I work there part time, the view is largely based on the customers who come into the store.

John

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 03:31:35 pm »

Westbourne Models is only 30 mins away from me and Barry Shanks is always helpful

Ken

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 03:32:55 pm »

hi All if you are in or near Oxford there Howes models . They are 15 miles from me. They stock loads of railways , car and boats + load of good rc equipment.  They are only 5 min drive from the A34 north Oxford junction.

http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/

john

dan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 03:45:47 pm »

i have two model shops both 30 minute drives away in opposite directions, abergavenny model shop, and Western Valley models, this makes it very difficult to get to as i dont drive

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 03:47:50 pm »

Coming north, and not just north of Watford or even Glasgow >>:-( Inverness has a new-ish model shop, mainly plastic and R/C cars. Near the harbour so worth seeing what is there. A few miles further is Dingwall with the Sports and Model Shop. About 50/50 huntin`,shootin`n fishun` but the model half is well stocked for planes and some railway plus boat kits and pieces, Plasticard ,brass wood,all usual glues, paints, tools etc. Nice folk too.  Anybody in Perth area know what is available there ?  Scoonies Hobbies of course is in Kirkcaldy and a boat builder`s Mecca.
..well can you land on this?

das boot

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 07:26:48 pm »

Is Maritime Models in Greenwich still going? Bernie Wood and I used to spend half our lives in there!

Rich

steve*mac

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 07:44:59 pm »

No Greenwich is long gone, bloody shame.. was a great shop.

The Dockyard Model Shop, at the Naval Dockyard, Chatham is still there. Drop in and see Rob Bright. its about 3 miles from me and I have the Model World about ten miles away.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 10:48:57 pm »

Westbourne Models is only 30 mins away from me and Barry Shanks is always helpful

Lucky you, Ken. I have dealt with Barry and Martin on numerous occasions by mail order, and have found their service excellent.

My nearest Model shop is in Lismore, about 40 km, (25 miles) away. It's very good, although predominantly aircraft, cars and plastic kits, but they do carry a range of building materials and a few boat kits. It has been in the same family since its inception in the early 50s, and I have dealt with them, father and son, ever since they began.

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 11:22:08 pm »

Is that Lismore, northern NSW, Peter.
i used to holiday up there on a mates fathers farm..
used to motor up on my bmw r90s and him on his Ducati 700ss to another mates house at Bullahdelah for beers.
more memories than you can shake a stick at. :} :D :-))
sorry, I think I meant Mahwillumbah( sorry for spelling.been so long, the memory fades)

andygh

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 02:01:18 am »

Agreed <:(, I loved having a mooch around in there

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 03:15:14 am »

sorry, I think I meant Mahwillumbah( sorry for spelling.been so long, the memory fades)

Close Neil, it's actually Murwillumbah.

Yes, Lismore, northern NSW. I lived in or near it from the end of 1954, after I left Sydney where I was born and went to school, until we moved to Lennox Head (40 km away) at the end of 1994.
There's some debate as to whether it was named after Lismore in Ireland, or an island of the same name off the west coast of Scotland. As there were a lot of Scottish settlers here in the early days, some of my ancestors among them, I favour Scotland.

Lismore has grown since 1954, around 50,000 people now, and the major regional town in our area, although Ballina (about 17,000) is only 12 km from us, so we do most of our shopping there. It's a beautiful area, and even though we have been fortunate enough to travel the world, we love coming home here.

Peter.

das boot

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 04:26:22 am »

Agreed <:(, I loved having a mooch around in there

What a shame...the time we spent in that shop, we even had our own cups! Is that what they call progress? Oh well....

Rich

TCC

Model boat shop in Merseyside area?
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 05:36:23 am »

All the places I used to know have gone and I had to go to a RC shop in Formby, (where boats are a sideline: they have kits and a general range of boat stuff... but little in the way of 'in depth' fittings...)

So where's there a shop in the Merseyside area?

nhp651

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 09:00:09 am »

you're right Peter.
i loed mooching around on my long summer holidays.
great roads for motorcycling and the coast and beaches were lovely.
But my greatest recollections were my first horse rides on my mates fathers farm.
As you say the country side was so beautiful,rich, green and peaceful.
I envy you. :(( :((
Happy christmas  to you all out there basking in glorious sun.
Neil./ :-)) :-))

Proteus

Re: Model boat shop in Merseyside area?
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 09:40:47 am »

All the places I used to know have gone and I had to go to a RC shop in Formby, (where boats are a sideline: they have kits and a general range of boat stuff... but little in the way of 'in depth' fittings...)

Nearest is Steve Webb in Frodsham, formby will order stuff in , there is the one in skem cannot remember the name and also www.nauticalmarinemodels.co.uk
what general area are you in ?
Proteus

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 12:09:05 pm »

There's Scale hobbyies in Skem.

http://www.scalehobbies.net/index.html
not far off the M58 junc 3 or 4

nautical marine models isn't really a shop.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 09:23:55 pm »

Happy Christmas  to you all out there basking in glorious sun.

Thank you Neil, and the same to you and yours. It's actually cloudy at the moment (Christmas morning) but the forecast is for the clouds to clear - eventually  :-))

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 09:50:38 pm »

Not sunny here either, probably because it's dark and we are still scanning the skies for Santa....  :o

botchit

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 06:38:33 am »

Although not specifically for boats in Birkenhead there is a shop in Oxton rd. In Wallasey the shop in Mill lane has just closed but in Sea view road there is a small one just further on from the Asda who stocks various bits and bats and will order in for you.

TCC

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 03:39:28 pm »

There's Scale hobbyies in Skem.

http://www.scalehobbies.net/index.html
not far off the M58 junc 3 or 4

nautical marine models isn't really a shop.

Hi Lads
and thanks for the list of shops... I'm in St helens. I used to go to was it Bobs Boats? in Earlstown? or the helicopter guy up in Windle or the model shop in Bold St.. But all have now long gone. Even the little model shops in the town centre have gone. I've been told Beaties in Liverpool St Johns precinct has gone.

I'll look in on the skem shop.

Thanks to all for the help
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.