Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mercury Catamaran  (Read 5256 times)

Patternmaker

Mercury Catamaran
« on: December 24, 2008, 01:58:17 pm »

Patternmaker
My latest build, this is considerably faster than my previous build Thames Steam launch Miranda

Patternmaker

Re: Mercury Catamaran
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 02:04:24 pm »

More pictures

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 04:16:35 pm »

Very nice :-))
Do you plan to race the boat??
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Patternmaker

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:29:44 pm »

Hi Bill,
I actually sold the boat last week, the new owner entered in 4 races last weekend with one first, one second and two third places, racing against CMB 90 powered boats.

Mick  :}

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 05:35:57 pm »

Ah sounds like a winner you built. Keep on building. Have a good Christmas time
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 10:36:47 pm »

I hope that acoms 27 meg sticker was a joke? big no no running  a spark ignition motor with am radios,accident waiting to happen as there far too succeptable to interferance.   :o.
Mart

Patternmaker

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 08:13:51 pm »

Yes it was a joke its actually 2.4 ok2

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 09:04:29 am »

Good to know  ok2,have to say ive never liked that boat looks wise till i saw your pics you made it look really nice. :-)).
Mart

Patternmaker

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 12:52:46 pm »

Thanks, I agree this not one of the best looking boats but it is very quick, the owner now wants me to mod the engine to a Zen 7 I don't know why the prototype reached 69mph on a standard Zen 260. The only mods I did were the position of the engine, shaft height and offset as these hulls tend to flip above 60mph, but as you know speed is not the only thing that wins races. I am very tempted to make  a new hull,  longer and narrow the beam by about 3” and  CMB 90 power.

I do not race anymore due to my age, my reactions are not  what they use to be.
I would like to know what present day clubs are like, when my son and I use to race in the late eighties our local club was very competitive, I raced in C class Omega CMB 90 powered and scratch built  boat with converted 32cc Maccullock chain saw engine Spark Ignition (as it was known then)  both very quick for that era, my son raced in B class with a geared boat. We won so many trophies between us it ended up that nobody would race if we turned up and some members even resorted to sabotage, our radios and fuel , which
ultimately ended in fisticuffs, but they picked on the wrong person an ex paratrooper so that ended our association with our local club but not our enthusiasm for model power boats.
Mick

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 04:29:31 pm »

Hi Mick that 69 mph speed was set with a zen 7 trust me no way will any cat do that speed with a stock motor,55 tops id say with a stocker.By the way that boats made in China and its aslo known as the falcon cat.I dont race im just a fun boater,i currently run a zippkits thunderboat roundnose hydro.This thing is very fast and loves rough water too,full mod zenoa from ss enterprises in the states.By the way theres some free plans available of a nice wooden cat and its pretty good very scale looking,ideal for fun running and it handles well apparently.I also build a stepped vee i made the plug for,ive sold a few to make a bit of pocket money to keep the missus happy but ive managed to keep one for my lad so he can have some fun next year .As regards that mercury a mate of mine ran his with a zen 7 id say speed was arround 60 mph or so pretty fast  but he did flip it a few times then crashed it and has now given up on it i think,def not a rough water boat in my opinion.
Mart
heres a vid of the hydro
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wVGBWC_3MuY

Ramon

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 11:48:39 pm »

Are these free plans for a Cat downloadable Mart ?Any chance you could post the link or address.
My 'Sprint Cat' hull is due next week. Last boating over thirty years ago it will be my first of anything like this so if it comes out looking as good as Pattermakers I shall be well pleased. I note the bit about reactions!!!
BTW Mick, Brigade or Regt? - regards - Ramon ('Sparra the Para', D Coy 3n 62-66)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 09:28:31 am »

Hi Ramon yes the plans are free to download heres a link to them and also a cpl of builds too.There is a kit available online too either with just frames  or a full kit with sheeting etc.Heres a pic of it too,by the way the sprintcat is dam fast a guy i know set a new record with one in the states with the same motor im running in the hydro and it hit over 80 mph.with a stocker you could be looking at mid to high 50s  ;).you will have to join those sites if your not a member but its free.
Mart
kit build
http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=17898
plans
http://cid-d15bb0f76da55eb3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/MaxCat/MaxCatV1-L.zip
Kit
http://www.rbckits.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=393
scratch build
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7507027/tm.htm

Patternmaker

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 10:44:28 am »

Hi Ramon, 3 para 1953-1955 national service, AER recall 1956 Suez War, last drop Nov 5th 4.44 El Gamil Airfield.
Mick

Ramon

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 01:00:56 pm »

Thanks for the links Mart. I have been able to download the PDF file but can't seem to get anywhere with the dfx. Do I need it? Can I pm you if you can help with it - the dfx that is). Though I've only recently returned to model boats I have been making models for many years and whilst I don't want to jump too far ahead, 'building' is what I enjoy most, so this is a very attractive subject. I have joined the forums you advise and can only say how much I'm looking forward to the New Year. Currently  building a Huntsman for an HP61 see http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14357.0 which is coming along nicely and should see me get my 'toe in' in fairly quickly.

Mick - it's a real priviledge to 'meet' some one who was on the last operational drop. I'm sure you would agree that we could very easily go wayyyy off topic! '3n' Should of course been 3Bn so I'm sure we would know a few names as '62 wasn't that long after. This should bring a smile to your face - I had a model aircraft 'confiscated' by my corporal in Maida (252 Plt) - the wings were shinier than my boots - well according to him! PM me on this if you wish

Whatever thank you both and all the best for the coming year, yours - Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 01:16:11 pm »

Hi mate no you dont need the dfx its the same file just in case you wanted to take the file to a printers and have it done for you,the pdf you can just print at home i believe.
Mart

Patternmaker

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 03:40:10 pm »

Hi Ramon, I have sent you PM
Mick :-)

Patternmaker

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 03:43:01 pm »

Hi Mart,
Thanks for all your info its been very helpfull to me.
Mick :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 05:04:02 pm »

No worries mate allways glad to help.
Mart

Ramon

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 07:01:28 pm »

Hi Mart, These are very good links - thanks.
There are some good downloadable plans on http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/
Problem with all this - it's giving me far too many good ideas - fun though.

Mick, thanks for the PM's will be in touch later - telly night tonight!!

Regards - Ramon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.