Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie with seaport tug. help required  (Read 4366 times)

Jean-Paul

Newbie with seaport tug. help required
« on: May 24, 2009, 09:04:34 am »

hi guys. i recently bought the hen long seaport tug in order to rescue my bigger gas boat when something wrong happens. UNFORTUNATELY, i never had the chance to work with electric motors, esc, etc. etc.

so i am totally useless as far as electronics is concerned !! and i have no one to help me ....

So after a test run of the dickie i discovered that the electronics couldn't be worse !!! unfortunately i haven't found a diy guide on how to upgrade the electronics. i don't even know what an esc is or used for or how to choose one. so can someone first of all explain me all the terms of the items i will nee and what each does. also how can i watercool my motor etc... ?

also how will i choose which motor i need which esc etc ?

PLEASE help..... %%

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie with seaport tug. help required
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:00:55 am »

Welcome to the forum. There are people on here far more qualified than I to answer questions on the "Dickie". There have been several good build logs on its upgrades. However, to get you started on answering some of your questions:

ESC: this an Electronic Speed Controller. As it says, it controls the speed and direction of your vessel. They are firstly rated in amps and sized to match the current draw of your boat's motor. In its selection one considers whether you are running a "go fast" boat or something more sedate, like a tug. The "go fast" controllers don't usually have the fine controller at the lower speed ends you would want in tug, for example.

There is an excellent introduction to the needs of boat electrics on the home page of this site. On the home page, look at the yellow bar on the left of the page. On the list is "Technical Stuff". Open this and you'll find a heading "Electrics". Go into this page and you'll find a lot of information to get you started.

In the main search are you can put in "Dickie" and come up with a number of builds and modifications to the tug, one such is at:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14677.0

Good luck with your vessel and welcome aboard.

John

craftysod

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 04:36:34 pm »

Keep the original motor,it does not need to be watercooled.
People only change motors and couplings because of the noise they make.
Look through the seaport topic and you will get a good idea of what you can do to
these boats
Mark

Jean-Paul

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:15:29 pm »

Oh I don't ??  i don't really care about the noise of themotor. i am only interested in bringingg my other boat back in case of a failure.

i think the electronics though and not beeing able to adjust the throttle or steering is a little minus..... is that easy to change ? i opened it and it had nothing same with all my other boats car that are gas powered. i couldn't even find the servos  {:-{

i am so worthless

craftysod

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:25:47 pm »

There is no so called servo in these boats,very easy to put in servo for rudder.
And get a proper esc and radio gear to make it all work.
Dont rely on the original radio to rescue anything,it has trouble picking up signal from more than 10ft away.
You will get or should get plenty of advice from people on here,as how they did it.
If you get stuck pm me and i will show you how i did it
Mark

Jean-Paul

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 07:34:10 pm »

ok great news that someone can actually help me woth this project. good thing i didn't have any failures today then and i didn't used it. so i definetely need new electric gear. the problem is that i have no idea what so ever what an esc is etc etc, which one i should get etc etc so totally newbie as far as electric motors and such conversions is concerned. if you don't see any replies here I will soon " disturb you" to help me !!!

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:51:13 pm »

Where are you form

Stav

Jean-Paul

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 06:18:49 am »

Greece, Athens
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.