Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: First ever boat kit your help much appreciated  (Read 8576 times)

wideawake

Re: First ever boat kit your help much appreciated
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 06:16:55 pm »

Save yourself the price of a new kettle. Use a pan, one you can unscrew the lid handle off.

You'll be left with a nice little hole which creates a little jet of steam for shaping. Coming out of the top of the pot.  ok2  ok2  ok2

Seaspray

Good idea - which made me think of a use for that old pressure cooker in the back of the cupboard.   Just leave the weight off and lots of steam blows out of the vent in the lid IIRC  :-)

Guy

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 06:28:13 pm »

I would avoid the oll pressure cooker. Don't like the word pressure, or steam under pressure, unless its in a locomotive with a safely valves .

Seaspray.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »

Personally I use boiling water from the kettle put into a thermos flask - put the wood in the flask. If you replace the lid between batches, the water keeps warm even in my shed. Safer than steam :-))

Barrie

wideawake

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 07:46:21 pm »

I would avoid the oll pressure cooker. Don't like the word pressure, or steam under pressure, unless its in a locomotive with a safely valves .

Seaspray.

Point taken Seaspray, but I wasn't suggesting using it as a pressure cooker.   With the weight off it's basically nearly the same thing as a saucepan with a hole in the lid (see a previous post).

Cheers

Guy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 07:59:31 pm »

Andy,have a look at deansmarine website as he doing a limited run of a fishing boat at the moment   :-))
Steamed up all the time

andyn

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 08:11:24 pm »

Andy,have a look at deansmarine website as he doing a limited run of a fishing boat at the moment   :-))

Cheers Phil, but it's not big enough!!! I want it big enough for this Quickdraw 35cc job %)

The item, I want to enlarge it from 3 inches to 34 inches. Long story why...

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 08:45:09 am »

o.k.Guy

I take the idea further and with the pan secured to the cooker guard. I put a piece of copper pipe to the hole of about 18 inch long, it to is secured. That way I can drop a piece wood in the pipe , and can then shape the whole length  in a onner.  I tried it with the steam coming into a flat tin but the steam turned back into very hot water. Also was looking into these silver trays they use for sterilising but you can get too involved and it was back to basics.

Nice idea barriew

Seaspray

invasion

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 01:35:03 pm »

ok a couple of pictures ot the greatest  but more will follow if I can ever sort out how to plank this thing.

Now on the second picture I have drawn to lines can you tell me if I attach the planks at the Blue Line which I think is to far forward or the Red Line and then I sand the Keel piece to the correct profile??
hope this makes sense

Thanks AJ

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 02:03:47 pm »

This might be a help or not.

The first picture  shows the block of wood shaped to take up the curve from the end of the planking to the keel/bow

The 2nd picture shows the build being planked to  finishing off frame 2

Seaspray

Seaspray

amdaylight

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 03:02:01 pm »

The piece with the red line needs to be beveled so the plank will fit smoothly against it. before you plank the hull you need to "fair" the bulkheads. Meaning each bulkhead needs to be sanded so that when you lay a plank across it there are no humps or dips. the plank should also contact the bulkhead across the whole width of the bulkhead, not just one edge or the other. If you go to Model Expo and read the online instructions for the Armed Virgina Sloop ( http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS2160 ) and read Stage 1, part 5 they do a very good job of explaining how to fair a hull. If you read Part 2 they do a very good job of explaining how to plank a hull.

This is why I recomend either a Blue Jacket Ship Model or a Model Shipways kit as a good starter for plank on frame building because they do such a good job of explaining the process of planking the hull.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 10:47:51 am »

o.k.Guy

I take the idea further and with the pan secured to the cooker guard. I put a piece of copper pipe to the hole of about 18 inch long, it to is secured. That way I can drop a piece wood in the pipe , and can then shape the whole length  in a onner.  I tried it with the steam coming into a flat tin but the steam turned back into very hot water. Also was looking into these silver trays they use for sterilising but you can get too involved and it was back to basics.

Nice idea barriew

Seaspray
Steam wallpaper stripper?  Instead of using the "approved" fittings direct the steam into a tube that is long enough for your wood strips.  Catch the condensate in a pan, pour it back into the steamer as required.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 12:47:03 pm »

will do,cheers

Seaspray
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.