Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flexi shafts  (Read 2062 times)

dan

flexi shafts
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:27:40 pm »

hi guys
i was wondering how many people have used flexi shafts in high speed models, such as nitro or brushless boats?
are they just as good as the solid stainless steel shafts and do they make more noise than the solid ones ?

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: flexi shafts
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 11:24:43 pm »

Hi dtm,
From my limited experience, they are quiet. They are mainly used for surface drive set ups, but can and are used for submerged drive as well. As no universal joint is used, just a solid coupling, there is no noise from the coupling at all. The down side is that they require more maintenance. The biggest advantage is that you can achieve a straight drive line, which is almost imposable with any other set up except out drive/board.
I believe they are used almost without question in all competition boats using surface drive and most fast electric submerged drive models.

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:18:49 am »

I use then on both my 26cc Makara and Hydro boats. I have only had 1 problem . I hit another boat at speed and damaged the flexi shaft, the remains was still connected the the engine and it did a fair bit of damage inside the boat. Still if you not doing 40mph and you don't hit any other boat you will be fine as long as you grease it up after every time you use it.  Cheers.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

dan

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 12:54:25 pm »

cheers guys,  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.