Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flags  (Read 8841 times)

MartinH-K

Re: Flags
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 06:48:06 pm »

My question....? :embarrassed:

Admhawk

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 12:18:39 pm »

My god Darren, still leading an interesting life then. ok2

Yes Dicky, too busy as always. You're well, I assume?

Admhawk

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 01:24:38 pm »

That's really helpful and I thank you.  ok2 I can use what you've said but.... I don't suppose you would know the size of Hood's battle ensign would you? I tried the Hood association site but there's nothing on there about it. <:(

Martin,

The 'Battle' flag, as I understand it, is a larger ensign used only when going into battle or other ceremonial occasions. Here is a photo of what I consider to be a Battle flag on a USN Destroyer,

Much larger than the normal Ensign flown. If you want to fly a Battle flag from the mast, use the 10.5 x 21 foot flag. Another practice I've seen is flying an Ensign (9 foot would be good) at the stern and the mast when going into battle, otherwise the following would used.

The 'normal size' Ensign used day to day on RN Battleships would have been like this:

Which 'looks' to be about 9 feet tall by 18 feet long (but it may be 8 feet, hard to tell). Photos of the Ensign flying at the mast measure only 7.5 feet tall. This size difference is normal as they had different flags for use on Sundays as opposed to week days and different sizes for the aft staff as opposed to the mast. 'Normal' practice is/was to fly the ensign at the stern when at port (leaving or entering, at anchor, at the jetty), while the ensign at the mast is flown while under way in open seas.

HTH's
Darren

TCC

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 05:10:41 pm »

My question....? :embarrassed:

Hi Martin
a 'Battel ensign' is just an ordinary ensign but in battle, a ship will fly them from various parts of the rigging, it aided identification especially so if a mast was brought down due to battle damage (and they wouldn't want to be thought of as surrendering prematurely.  ok2 *) So they used more than 1 but less than about 5

This page gives the sizes of flags, ensigns and pendants:

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/s0100000.htm

These are the sizes of Ensign available,  Quote:

"Ship's ensigns are suppulied in the following sizes, viz:-

In breadths ranging from 20, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, and so on down to a 3 breadth - the smallest.

* A 20 ensign - 10 yards x 5 yards
    * A 16 ensign - 8 yards x 4 yards
    * A 14 ensign - 7 yards x 3 1/2 yards
    * A 12 ensign - 6 yards x 3 yards
    * A 10 ensign - 5 yards x 2 1/2 yards
    * A 8 ensign - - 4 yards x 2 yards
    * A 6 ensign - - 3 yards x 1 1/2 yards
    * A 4 ensign - - 2 yards x 1 yard
    * A 3 ensign - - 1½ yards x ¾ yard"

I'd think HOOD would have used 1x or 2x 20's and 1x or 2x 16s during battle.

* That would be an interesting article to read, the hows, whys and wherefores of battle ensigns.

MartinH-K

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 07:24:46 pm »

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.Thank you. Thank you.
I can now get out my sewing kit and start making some!
Cheers
Martin

MartinH-K

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 08:15:51 pm »

This will give me a white ensign that is 26cm x 13cm or 1ft 10in x 11in!!! :-)) Anyone know if there's a source for flags about this size?  ;D

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2009, 09:37:55 pm »

Not from the model industry...

The biggest that BECC manufacture (and we stock) is 150mm (6 inches) long.

You would have to look for a manufacturer who does smaller versions of the full-size product.

Malc

Admhawk

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 02:14:53 am »

I know that Aviation World near me used to carry a similar size, http://www.aviationworld.net/

But they don't list it on the website.

Best to find a flag shop near you and see what they have, might be a custom order.

Darren

TCC

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 03:50:52 pm »

This will give me a white ensign that is 26cm x 13cm or 1ft 10in x 11in!!! :-)) Anyone know if there's a source for flags about this size?  ;D

Martin, did you just have a brain fart there?  :-) 26cm is about 10 inches, not 1ft 10 inches! My maths, >ahem, cough, splutter<, say it's about 10" in by 5" which is your 26 x 13cm.

PM me with a definite size and how many and a physical address and I may have a volunteer that will give you big enisgns to whatever size you want on white silk?/linen.

YOU'LL have to say how you want to fix them to the halyard, whther the flags just have the 'channel' for the halyard rope just sewn in and left... or with a length of rope actually fixed in there.

The other idea is wait for a rugby/football final and go 'the pound shop' and get some of those flags they fly from a cars window/roof.

Cheers mate
Paul

p.s fibreglass is easy and it only gets complex when you're making moulds or casting from a non-rubber mould.. coating your hull will be technically easy BUT will be hard, possibly dusty work due to the area.

Ah.. so it's a 2-manner... who's your 'Capt. Kerr' to your 'Adml Holland'?  ok2

p.p.s. you want someone there with a video for YOU. I'm sure that shouldn't be an issue with so many digicams and phones offering 'video' these days?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 06:11:32 pm »

My god Darren, still leading an interesting life then. ok2

Yes Dicky, too busy as always. You're well, I assume?
Not to bad Darren, no worse, no better.  ok2
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

MartinH-K

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:30 pm »

I'm really sorry, I think I hijacked this thread... {:-{
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.